Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 03:01 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's *less* than a gizillion to one chance that by living, you will get some kind of cancer at some point in your life, no matter what you do. As long as you continue to be alive, your risk for cancer increases.

There is -less- than a gazillion to one chance that by eating, you will risk choking on food. The more food you consume over the span of a lifetime, the higher your risk of choking.

Maybe you want to revisit your adamant hyperbole on what you would or would not do, given a gazillion to one chance of risk of unwanted results.

Also - please reference the reliable source where you saw that statistically significant correlation. I've never heard of ANY correlation between root canals and breast cancer, other than a couple of quack companies that sell supplements and fraudulent treatments.
You can find anything on the web. I recently found out at a family web site, which I had never visited until this one particular time, that I am deceased. Have been for about 20 years. I had more fun sending them messages from the Great Beyond. <g>

Back to root canals. Go to a nearby dental school, get a second opinion and stop listening to amateurs like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 6,360 times
Default Getting infected Root canal tooth extracted

I had a root canal done on my #19 tooth. For then past year it has been a bit tender. Man did I work extra hard to keep it clean, not eat with it much and just baby it. Then I got a pimple on the gum and I started feeling run down. Run down for almost six months. Saw a couple dentists who said, "try to save the tooth, maybe do another root canal." For what reason? The tooth as obviously harboring an infection. 2 rounds of antibiotics and I finally listened to one dentist who said, "that tooth is done. You've had it most of your life and it's time for it to get out of your body."

So I scheduled to have it taken it. Man I was nervous, so much that I asked for Ativan. I took one before I got into the chair. I still felt anxious. My blood pressure was up. Then the Dentist came in and we started chatting. I actually took another half. Soon I was relaxing A LOT. He kept talking to me about business and things. Got me numbed up. I remember closing my eyes and just feeling a bit of a tug and it was out. Really simple, no pain. Getting an extraction is very simple and does not take long. He stitched it up and I was out the door.

Two days later I felt my strength come back and I'm back to working out (a week later) and all is great.

Bottom line, if you have a bad tooth that is causing you problem after problem and sapping your energy, GET IT OUT! You can always get a bridge down the line or get an implant. Don't try to redo a bad root canal.

Seriously, if I can do this with all my anxiety issues, you can. It's a breeze and your body will thank you for it.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:49 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
I would agree that, if the root canal didn't do the job, get the tooth out. That is, unless a dentist that you do trust can find the cause and it is easily fixed. If they don't get the root space cleaned out well, you can get an infection there.

I have just been searching for an explanation as to when a root canal is called for as opposed to any other treatment. So far, I have found nothing. That's discouraging, to say the least. Exactly what is a root canal supposed to do? Anyone care to explain?

I have had a root canal followed by a cap. I still have that tooth and it works fine. Meanwhile, I have lost the tooth in front of it and we've discovered that the other one is turning its roots into the empty space. Perhaps because I didn't put a bridge in there? I don't know. No one suggested it. Just saying that the root canal must have solved a problem on the back molar.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:48 PM

506 posts, read 2,574,696 times
Advising against getting a root canal retreated is definitely bad advice. It's a procedure that's done all the time usually by endodontists. There are definitely indications for retreats but there are also indications for extractions if a tooth cannot be saved with a root canal (fractured root is the most common reason).

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,301 times
It is very infected for your teeth. Thanks for the best information. Thanks a lot and please keep sharing.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
u can always work or repair the existing but once it is gone that is not an option. b4 u drop a wad consider dental tourism in mexico.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
u can always work or repair the existing but once it is gone that is not an option. b4 u drop a wad consider dental tourism in mexico.
No, you can't always work or repair the existing one. That is WHY sometimes it's better to extract. Whether or not a tooth can be worked on or repaired, is up to the doctor who would be doing it, if he felt it could/should be safely and efficiently done.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 AM

482 posts, read 902,253 times
Having had several failed root canals, I opt for extraction and implant. Get the pain ($$$) over with at the beginning. My implants are trouble free, feel like normal teeth and last a lifetime (be sure to floss).

Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 AM

98 posts, read 543,809 times
This is bad advice for most people. Root-canal treated teeth have close to 90% success rate when covered with a crown, pending several variables. Implants are quoted as having a 90+% success rate depending on variables, but I have seen many fail. Implants lack much of the cushion and benefits of natural teeth, but are a great alternative to bridges & partial dentures & no teeth at all.

Total cost for RCT/Crown somewhere in the $2500 price range usually, total cost for implants + crowns in the $5,000 to $6,000 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
Having had several failed root canals, I opt for extraction and implant. Get the pain ($$$) over with at the beginning. My implants are trouble free, feel like normal teeth and last a lifetime (be sure to floss).

Last edited by ruprick; 11-15-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 12-01-2013, 02:58 PM

482 posts, read 902,253 times
I guess it depends on your vantage point. Having had less than 50% success rate with root canals and 100% with implants, I tend to favor implants. Root canaled teeth as everyone knows are weaker, hence the need for a crown. If your bone is favorable I see closer to 100% success rate on implants. Of course the choice of an experienced oral surgeon helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health