Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 05:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

Heh I was told by my dental billing clerk 2 weeks ago, that she was able to save me $600 on my new bridge, that I didn't know was possible to save. It was an insurance loophole. Even though the bridge and the work to place it wasn't covered *at all* by Delta, they're still a participating provider. And as participating providers, they still have to abide by Delta's schedule of fees. So in other words..

IF you are a Delta customer, and your plan does have full bridge coverage, then they will pay "x" dollars for that coverage. If you don't have full bridge coverage, the dentist's office still can't charge more than "x," because that is the fee they agreed to charge -all- their Delta customers, when they became a Delta provider.

When she told me this..I got misty-eyed and had to do that "wave your face to keep the tears in" thing that we girly-type girls do. Overwhelmed with joy..or really just sappy emotions.

So I totally understand breaking down when dealing with even mundane stuff. I went through 5 tissues watching Titanic too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 01:54 AM

1 posts, read 9,213 times
Root Canal Treatment (RCT), OK as to most of the dentists and patients. Still one question in my mind that is how the tooth will be live for repairs and maintenance when the nerves, blood vessels and other living tissues (pulp) are removed from the canal.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:58 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,182 times
Pastry, join the club (I wish it were more exclusive).
I had a crack in my upper right molar #3 for years. The hygienist said when/if it starts to bother me, I will probably need a crown or a root canal. Once it started to hurt, I went right in for work on a new crown. The dentist didn't see any cracks in the x-rays, so went ahead and made me a pretty, porcelain tooth. Unfortunately, I mentioned two weeks later when he was about to install it that the area still hurt. He sent me to an endodontist who started the procedure for a root canal. He stopped midway through and said we had to stop because my poor old tooth had too many deep cracks in it. He told me ahead of time that he wouldn't know until he got in there so it wasn't totally unexpected.

Now I am scheduled for a tooth extraction this coming Monday. The endodontist will charge me $450 but I can't really blame him since he did tell me up front that he wouldn't know until he got inside the tooth what was going on. A full root canal would have cost $1100.

Most of the tooth was ground down in preparation for the crown. I can't imagine how the oral surgeon will pull it out. Then I have to wonder whether or not I should get a bridge, an implant or just live with it (I'm 58 y.o.).

FWIW, root canals aren't painful; just boring. Bring an iPod and some headphones for future reference.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Pastry, join the club (I wish it were more exclusive).
I had a crack in my upper right molar #3 for years. The hygienist said when/if it starts to bother me, I will probably need a crown or a root canal. Once it started to hurt, I went right in for work on a new crown. The dentist didn't see any cracks in the x-rays, so went ahead and made me a pretty, porcelain tooth. Unfortunately, I mentioned two weeks later when he was about to install it that the area still hurt. He sent me to an endodontist who started the procedure for a root canal. He stopped midway through and said we had to stop because my poor old tooth had too many deep cracks in it. He told me ahead of time that he wouldn't know until he got in there so it wasn't totally unexpected.

Now I am scheduled for a tooth extraction this coming Monday. The endodontist will charge me $450 but I can't really blame him since he did tell me up front that he wouldn't know until he got inside the tooth what was going on. A full root canal would have cost $1100.

Most of the tooth was ground down in preparation for the crown. I can't imagine how the oral surgeon will pull it out. Then I have to wonder whether or not I should get a bridge, an implant or just live with it (I'm 58 y.o.).

FWIW, root canals aren't painful; just boring. Bring an iPod and some headphones for future reference.
#3 is a molar you actually use to chew and tug on food. I have an implant on one side, and a bridge on the other side, and I have to say, I'm -much- more confident in chewing on the implant side. In fact, the bridge feels so awkward when I eat, I keep worrying the food will pull the bridge off. The bridge is on there solidly but a bridge is called a bridge, because it's bridging a space where a tooth is missing. So really, you're chewing on nothing. And that is not comfortable.

I'd definitely go for an implant, if you can afford it (or if you're VERY lucky and your insurance covers even a part of it).

Old 11-11-2012, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the response!
It will be an out-of-pocket expense, if I decide to do anything at all.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:02 PM

An implant, assuming that you -do- need a bone graft (which is common, but not always needed), will probably be around $3000-4000. The implant without the bone grafting should be under $3000, closer to $2000. It also depends on where you are. A Beverly Hills dental spa will probably charge $8000-10,000. Dr. Smith in East Cowtip, Kansas, might only charge $1500.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:47 AM

I'm in Oregon and due to see the surgeon tomorrow. I'll ask him and then decide if I want to go through with it.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 74,906 times
Look at this article about root canals. DO NOT GET ONE. They end up causing many more problems down the road. This article will show you and is credible. This should not be covered up. Why You Should Avoid Root Canals Like the Plague by Joseph Mercola

Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 74,906 times
I am surprised at the lack of replies advising to avoid root canals. The tooth is an organ, just as the liver and lungs are. Have you ever heard of someone being told to keep a dead organ in their body? What people don't realize is that even though during a root canal the pocket of live tissue is removed and replaced with filling, there are microscopic nerves and canals that remain in the tooth and cut off from a blood supply. Bacteria that once thrived on oxygen can actually mutate to live without it. Once this bacteria gets flushed from the area it takes the disease filled fluid and transfers it to all other parts of the body. If your immune system doesn't kill it the results can be deadly. Known results from root canals are arthritis, heart disease, depression, and many many more diseases. PLEASE, Look at this Website. Read through the interview toward the bottom of the page and you will be shocked by what has been proven to be true yet some how been covered up or not accepted into mainstream dentistry. It may just save your life.

Why You Should Avoid Root Canals Like the Plague by Joseph Mercola

Old 07-26-2013, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,017 times
Just this morning I had the very last molar on the top right side pulled and I do not regret it at all. I had a root canal and crown done on it three years ago and it suddenly started causing me pain a few days ago. Dentist said the bacteria in one of the roots must have been "sleeping" and then woke up for some reason and caused a nasty infection. I would have had to wait a full week for the endodontist to see me and see if the tooth was worth saving and to redo the root canal or pull it. I'm pregnant and opted to pull it since i was going on day three of being unable to eat or sleep.
Now, my question is should I bother getting an implant in? this is the only tooth I'm missing unless you count compacted wisdom teeth that were pulled almost 15 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health