Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,762 times

Advertisements

A few months ago my lower moral implants were done at a local dental clinic. I am fine now. I think it would be better if you can go for dental implants to replace it. It will be the best solution for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 07:48 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Sounds logical but I have had a crown drilled through and steroid injected (also not good) in and had a filling placed in the crown ( which ends up redundant IMHO) to prevent further infection...not fun and took the dentist FOREVER to drill through that crown. A second crown ended up infecting the gum below it and I ended up getting antibiotic with no change. The infection kept coming back and the dentist had no answers. This only happens to my molars. My front teeth, incisors and bicupids are prefect in alignment and flawless..just the molars are my problems and always has been. Crowns are a three to five year temporary fix for me...3K every 3 to 5 years is too much. The cheapo route may be best for me personally

I wonder if it the material that line these crowns that affect me. I think it is aluminum which everyone knows is bad for the body, only holds bacteria and heat so growth of these colonies of bacteria would be expected. Why not a thin layer of silver over stainless steel which has a natural antimicorbial affect to prevent this??? A no brainer I think...or it just may too much of a right thing to do

Old 02-28-2014, 10:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Sounds logical but I have had a crown drilled through and steroid injected (also not good) in and had a filling placed in the crown ( which ends up redundant IMHO) to prevent further infection...not fun and took the dentist FOREVER to drill through that crown. A second crown ended up infecting the gum below it and I ended up getting antibiotic with no change. The infection kept coming back and the dentist had no answers. This only happens to my molars. My front teeth, incisors and bicupids are prefect in alignment and flawless..just the molars are my problems and always has been. Crowns are a three to five year temporary fix for me...3K every 3 to 5 years is too much. The cheapo route may be best for me personally

I wonder if it the material that line these crowns that affect me. I think it is aluminum which everyone knows is bad for the body, only holds bacteria and heat so growth of these colonies of bacteria would be expected. Why not a thin layer of silver over stainless steel which has a natural antimicorbial affect to prevent this??? A no brainer I think...or it just may too much of a right thing to do
It's not aluminum. It could be an alloy of precious metals mixed with base metals, or it could be surgical steel, or it could be just precious metal alloy, or it could be just base metal alloy. Or it could be pure porcelain, with no metal at all. Also, your mouth is LOADED with bacteria, and it should be, because that bacteria is a necessary part of your immune system. Don't get obsessed with antibacterial and microbial stuff when it comes to your mouth. It'll either drive you insane, or make people think you already are.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's not aluminum. It could be an alloy of precious metals mixed with base metals, or it could be surgical steel, or it could be just precious metal alloy, or it could be just base metal alloy. Or it could be pure porcelain, with no metal at all. Also, your mouth is LOADED with bacteria, and it should be, because that bacteria is a necessary part of your immune system. Don't get obsessed with antibacterial and microbial stuff when it comes to your mouth. It'll either drive you insane, or make people think you already are.
Not being paranoid but they are finding the body rejects certain metals; precious or not (i.e. knee replacements of some patients had to be removed because of it). I personally can't have cheap metal posts on earrings or they get itchy, begin to weep, become irritated and finally infected...just thinking out loud that it would be nice to know exact what the metal is before giving 4K away only to have it removed due to this fact. Then what would you do after that...talk about a raggedy mouth then...lol. Will my dentist refund me?

Pub Med article done by the French:

Rev Med Brux 2010 Jan-Feb;31(1):44-9

Allergies to Dental Metals. Titanium: a New Allergen

Last edited by eyewrist; 02-28-2014 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 02-28-2014, 03:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Anyone can be allergic to anything, and I already told you it isn't aluminum, so it really doesn't matter whether or not aluminum can harm you.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Anyone can be allergic to anything, and I already told you it isn't aluminum, so it really doesn't matter whether or not aluminum can harm you.
I understand what you are saying but let's not dismiss the possiblity ( at least in my case) that certain metals, not just aluminum, in my body; whether teeth, joint or earlobe, just may be the culprit for my rejection of the crowns. I have never been tested for allergic reaction for metals and that will have to be done prior to me investing 4K in dental work that my body will ultimately reject. This never occurred to me until this disccussion and looking back the dentists had no answers for the cause. This is worth the investigation.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:55 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I had the very last molar pulled and never did have wisdom teeth there so no gap. My dentist said that of course their preference is to save every tooth but then added "but if you have to lose one, that's the one to lose." Some slight shifting if the nearby teeth but my teeth were naturally very close together anyway so not a big deal as long as I floss regularly.

Sometimes, it does come down to money but for me, it was also the fact that it would be multiple visits, missing time from work and all for a tooth that they were iffy that it could even be saved so I could go through all that and pay $$$ and still end up with a pulled tooth. I fast forwarded to the end.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,287 times
Default !st molar

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartinznyc View Post
I had a root canal done and a bunch of other work. 3 months and a couple grand later I now need a crown lengthening which I'm not going to do. I'm just going to get the tooth pulled and deal with it. I was wondering if anyone on here is living without one of their bottom first molars (second to last tooth, not counting wisdom teeth).

Thanks
I had a root canals that failed on both of my bottom 1st molars I thought I would not get implants because they were in the back anyway and nobody would see. However it has been difficult chewing. I previously got my wisdom teeth removed. The bone on the jaw got very skinny and the teeth on top have moved down to try and close the space. It has been very uncomfortable chewing the bone has gotten skinny and the other teeth are shifting. I regret not getting implant at the same time. I am now going to have to get a bone graft before the implant because the bone got so skinny.
My wisdom teeth were impacted so I got them removed. If not I could have with braces moved the wisdom to fill in the space but unfortunately they are gone. So now I am going to get the implant and I look forward to be able to chew again. I recommend anyone to get an implant at the same time the tooth is removed to avoid other teeth shifting and spacing and other problems.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amartinznyc View Post
I had a root canal done and a bunch of other work. 3 months and a couple grand later I now need a crown lengthening which I'm not going to do. I'm just going to get the tooth pulled and deal with it. I was wondering if anyone on here is living without one of their bottom first molars (second to last tooth, not counting wisdom teeth).

Thanks
I had crown lengthening on a tooth it wasn't any big deal the dentist just used a laser to cut some of the gum tissue away. My advice, keep your teeth, all of them. I'm 71 and have all of mine except for two that I lost when I was in my 20's and couldn't afford to get them repaired, I have bridges on those two.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Crowns are a three to five year temporary fix for me...3K every 3 to 5 years is too much. The cheapo route may be best for me personally
You need to find a new dentist if your crowns only last 3-5 years, I have a mouth full of crowns and after 35 years I'm having my 4 front crowns replaced next week, the rest of my crowns have all lasted at least 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health