Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 08:14 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Any toothache can cause a headache. You also have sinuses above the gumline, and if they get enflamed, you end up with a sinus headache and what feels like a toothache. If you have decay in a tooth that's near a sinus, it can swell and put pressure on the sinus, causing a genuine toothache and a sinus headache.
I had to have an oral surgeon remove a molar because the x-ray showed the roots to be abutting the sinus cavity. My dentist said that sometimes the roots can attach and when you pull the tooth it can create a hole in the sinus. Mine came out fine, but its better to be safe and an oral surgeon can stitch the sinus, if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 09:13 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by povar81 View Post
I don't understand how it can cause a headache.
I am having headaches that will not go away, so I did some research to see if the wisdom tooth could possibly be the cause of the problem, since it is bothering me lately anyway, and yes, it can.
They said the jaw or jawline may be out of line from me pulling away from the tooth that is digging in the side of my gum, so naturally that could be causing the tension headaches as well.
I am going to make an appt. next week to let the dentist look to see what is going on, but I really think that it needs to come out.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I am having headaches that will not go away, so I did some research to see if the wisdom tooth could possibly be the cause of the problem, since it is bothering me lately anyway, and yes, it can.
They said the jaw or jawline may be out of line from me pulling away from the tooth that is digging in the side of my gum, so naturally that could be causing the tension headaches as well.
I am going to make an appt. next week to let the dentist look to see what is going on, but I really think that it needs to come out.
Now you're talkin

Old 07-04-2011, 05:47 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,430,619 times
In my opinion if you need to get that one out...you might as well get them all done at once. I wish I had. Instead I had 2 done and then had to go back 6 years later and do the other 2. I would get them all done at once so you can just move on and be done with it.
Good Luck!

Old 07-04-2011, 04:34 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,926 times
I had a similar scenario. I ended up having all 4 out at once.

I had two that were coming in sideways, another that had never broken the skin and the final one that had barely broken the skin. My dentist had told me for years that I would never have to have them out (I asked every year.) Then, one year when I went for my cleaning, he realized one was infected. So at that point, it needed to come out right away, and the oral surgeon just advised to get them all out and save myself the trouble of having to deal with the same issue again later with the remaining three. (In retrospect after having watched family members suffer with issues again and again, I'm glad I took his advice. It's no picnic, but it's better to get it all done in one blow.)

The surgery was not bad at all. It took a few weeks to heal, but I was glad I did it.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:03 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,392 times
Having seen what my spouse went through during two separate extractions (one for a single impacted wisdom tooth, followed a year later by a second one for two more impacted teeth), I'd definitely at least consider getting all of them done if you have one done.

At the same time, depending on your age and the status of the other teeth, it's possible that one or more of the remaining ones could stay put and never give you any problems.

I never grew but two wisdom teeth (no smart remarks about being only half-wise - my family has already made 'em all!), and didn't have any problems with the two I did have for decades. In my 50s, though, I began to develop gum problems around the one that had mostly erupted; the tooth itself wasn't any problem, but I couldn't possibly get a toothbrush back far enough to clean effectively around it. So I acceded to my dentist's suggestion to see an oral surgeon about getting that one removed.

The oral surgeon took a panoramic x-ray, checked my mouth, and agreed completely that the one partially erupted tooth should come out. However, and I found this quite interesting, he said that at my age, there was essentially no chance that the other one, which is still way above the gumline, would ever move to the point of causing any problem, and for that reason, he advocated leaving it alone.

Well, I was entirely fine with that notion, so I just had the one out. And since it wasn't impacted, just way farther back in my mouth than was useful, it was a very easy and straightforward thing. I can't even say I had much pain afterward. The only somewhat disconcerting aspect was that I still (six months later) have a pretty good-sized crater in my gum, which collects food every time I eat. But a good swish with water after a meal generally takes care of that.

Still, had there been even a small chance that the second one might at some point need to come out as well, I'd have had it taken care of at the same time as the first one. If nothing else, it generally winds up costing less (fewer office visits, only one episode of anesthesia, should you go that route, as opposed to multiple ones). And I find that it's a whole lot harder to voluntarily go back for a second or third repetition of an unpleasant experience when I already know what it's like, than it is to go in the first time.

Good luck to you; I hope your dentist can give you a referral to a top-notch oral surgeon, and that you have a successful outcome. Keep us posted!

Old 07-04-2011, 06:52 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
The only somewhat disconcerting aspect was that I still (six months later) have a pretty good-sized crater in my gum, which collects food every time I eat. But a good swish with water after a meal generally takes care of that.
If it's any comfort, I had huge craters. I was sure they would never fix themselves, given the size. But they did. It took about a year, if I recall, and after two years, you could never tell that anything had happened at all. It will get better!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
I only had the top two wisdom teeth. Both of them grew in just fine, and I had room on each side of my jaw so there was no problem with shifting teeth. One got a bad cavity and the dentist said since I don't use it for anything anyway, he might as well just yank it instead of all the trouble involved in drilling and filling. So that was that for wisdom tooth #1.

For the second one, I needed a bridge for a different molar, and it needed to be bridged to the molar next to the wisdom tooth. He said it'd be a whole lot easier to carve that molar to a good size to fit the crown for the bridge, if he didn't have to worry about the wisdom tooth. Again - since most people don't use their wisdom teeth for anything, this dentist recommended yanking it out. It also meant he wouldn't need to carve the other molar so small, because he wouldn't need to worry about it fitting against the wisdom tooth.

So that was that for wisdom tooth #2.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:07 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,423,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I was told years ago that my wisdom teeth were laying side ways.
They never gave me any trouble, until now. I have one that has come in, but it is pointy and is pressing on my gum, and causing headaches.
Do you think I should have that one wisdom tooth removed? Is it safe?
I was getting pain too. Dentist adviced to have them out so thats what I did. Its not as bad as some people say, at least for me. After it was all over I was left wondering what all the fuss was about.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I only had the top two wisdom teeth. Both of them grew in just fine, and I had room on each side of my jaw so there was no problem with shifting teeth. One got a bad cavity and the dentist said since I don't use it for anything anyway, he might as well just yank it instead of all the trouble involved in drilling and filling. So that was that for wisdom tooth #1.

For the second one, I needed a bridge for a different molar, and it needed to be bridged to the molar next to the wisdom tooth. He said it'd be a whole lot easier to carve that molar to a good size to fit the crown for the bridge, if he didn't have to worry about the wisdom tooth. Again - since most people don't use their wisdom teeth for anything, this dentist recommended yanking it out. It also meant he wouldn't need to carve the other molar so small, because he wouldn't need to worry about it fitting against the wisdom tooth.

So that was that for wisdom tooth #2.
Did you ever get a dry socket ? I did and got it fixed ASAP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health