Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:44 AM

405 posts, read 1,279,096 times

Advertisements

Tell your dentist you're not going to pay his bill until he makes it right.
That'll get his attention in a big hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 11:34 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,672,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1258 View Post
Tell your dentist you're not going to pay his bill until he makes it right.
That'll get his attention in a big hurry.

I suppose some people might use an aggressive threat to get their way but that's not how I roll. I get more flies with honey than with vinegar. If you bothered to read the entire thread, you would see that the dentist was great and is replacing the faulty bridge with a new one, at no expense to me. Further, I spent two hours with the dentist, having the other bridge removed. Two hours! At his expense, not mine. I'm not sure it would have worked out that way, had I done as you suggested. That's food for thought, don't you think?

Besides, the bill was already paid.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:02 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,045,940 times
Default What material are you getting?

I'm glad your on your way to a good resolution. Did you ever find out what material is being used? I'm potentially going to replace a metal/porcelain bridge with an all porcelain and wondered about the look and feel of some of these new materials.

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Just remember mic111 - if it's a molar, you won't be able to opt for all porcelain. Porcelain is the same thing your mom's good dishes are made out of. They're brittle, and they break easily. You can't chew with all-porcelain caps. Porcelain as an outer facade, bonded onto metal, however, will rarely crack and can last many many years.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Default Thanks AnonChick

Thanks AnonChick but I have a porcelain fused to metal bridge which has lasted 20 yrs. I think I'm reacting to the metal so am looking for alternatives. E.Max has been proposed as well as Zirconia or Zirconia covered with E.Max. That is why I asked what material the OP saw on the original bridge that they didn't think looked very good.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I'm glad your on your way to a good resolution. Did you ever find out what material is being used? I'm potentially going to replace a metal/porcelain bridge with an all porcelain and wondered about the look and feel of some of these new materials.

Thanks!

The bridge was porcelain over metal (don't really know what type of metal, though) on the two anchor teeth and a strip of the same metal infused within the two "fake" teeth. The flaw in the bridge was due to a bubble inside one of the fake teeth. When it "caved" in, it was the porcelain that broke under the pressure of biting. When the dentist removed the bridge, he showed me the exposed metal. The fake tooth didn't have the strength to withstand the pressure due to the bubble underneath.

I still haven't gotten the new permanent bridge placed. They are supposed to call me as soon as it comes in. I'm hoping next week. This week is pretty well shot since they are probably closed now until Monday. It's really okay, though because the temporary is doing fine. In fact, this temporary fits and feels better than the previous "permanent" one did. That other bridge was just terrible. Happy to report things are working out well. I'll update when the new permanent bridge is in.

Sorry for not really knowing the type of metal it is. I'm sorry you're experiencing an allergy to it. I've heard of that sort of thing happening to people. I wish you luck in replacing it.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:56 PM

Default If you don't mind

If you don't mind when you pick up the final bridge ask what the material is over the metal. I'm curious on your impression of this material and how good it looks vs. your older bridge.

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
If you don't mind when you pick up the final bridge ask what the material is over the metal. I'm curious on your impression of this material and how good it looks vs. your older bridge.

Thanks!

I already know the material. It's porcelain. I asked about it the last time I was in. Because it broke, I thought it might be a different but the dentist told me it was porcelain. I told him that was good because that's what I paid for.

It was just a flawed product because of the air bubble. The teeth looked just like the rest of my teeth and didn't feel any different. Before you begin any work, ask what the product is. If you're being billed for porcelain, you should be getting porcelain. If you aren't, you should ask why not since that's what you're paying for.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,716 times
PLZZZZ help! I hv procedure scheduled in 2 days to get 3 implants( upper left) I was confused that the doc inform me that he will be putting bridge over them. $10.000 buck? Why not crowns? Can anybody tell me the difference? tnx!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
You'll need to ask the dentist why, he's the only one who can tell you.

However, it's possible that you're having a *temporary* bridge placed, while your gum heals from the implant procedure. Typically they'll put some kind of temporary something over the posts, and wait a few months to ensure that everything's healing fine. And -then- they'll put the individual crowns over the posts. Reason being, if they put a permanent thing on it, and the bone rejects the implant, they'll have to destroy the crown to get the post out.

But this might not have anything at all to do with what your dentist is planning, and the only way you'll find out, is to ask him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health