Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 05:20 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times

Advertisements

I recently went to the Dentist about a month ago. Took full X-rays. Everything checked out ok. One tooth is very sensitive to cold drinks, hard foods and air. I do have a problem with teeth grinding at night so I was adviced to get a night guard. I have no cavities

I use the Sensodyne recommended by my Dentist and Sodium Flouride 1.1% SF. That is suppose to be help but that isn't helping that one tooth.

I am going to see my Dentist on Wednesday.

I wonder what can be done? I know that I am losing gum so that maybe the cause. Possible crown?

Should I invest in Sonicare? Is there an automatic floss that I can buy?

Last edited by Texas User; 11-14-2011 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
The Sonicare won't hurt but I had a very sensitive tooth too a few years back. It was in the back of my mouth and not noticable so my dentist put a Gold crown on it. It did the trick and no more problems. Not sure if it would work for you or where your tooth is but if it's in the back you may want to check it out.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
The Sonicare won't hurt but I had a very sensitive tooth too a few years back. It was in the back of my mouth and not noticable so my dentist put a Gold crown on it. It did the trick and no more problems. Not sure if it would work for you or where your tooth is but if it's in the back you may want to check it out.
Why was it Gold? Why not a color that matches your teeth? I have one crown but no one can tell I have it, it looks like a natural tooth.

I guess they would have to do the filling first and then crown?

My tooth is on top-right side, closer to top.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:20 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,832 times
How long have you used the Sensodyne? It may take more than a month. Unless you are in real pain, give it more time and talk to your dentist.

I had a senstive tooth due to a filling that had to be redone and as a result was slightly deeper. The Dr packed it with cotton and saturated it with some kind of solution that was supposed to help, but it didn't. Next step was to use Sensodyne or senstive toothpaste, if that didn't resolve the sensitivity, it a root canal was the next step. Well it took a couple MONTHS, but I no longer have a sensitive tooth. A root canal may still be in my future, but at least it's not the "immediate" future!

Also, I believe they "prep" the tooth before the crown, but I'm not sure it's actually a filling.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:18 PM

I went to my Doctor and she said one option is cut down on hard foods like peanuts and almonds.

Get a night guard, the front 6 teeth is grinding most likely at night.

Last resort is root canal and crown.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
How long have you used the Sensodyne? It may take more than a month. Unless you are in real pain, give it more time and talk to your dentist.

I had a senstive tooth due to a filling that had to be redone and as a result was slightly deeper. The Dr packed it with cotton and saturated it with some kind of solution that was supposed to help, but it didn't. Next step was to use Sensodyne or senstive toothpaste, if that didn't resolve the sensitivity, it a root canal was the next step. Well it took a couple MONTHS, but I no longer have a sensitive tooth. A root canal may still be in my future, but at least it's not the "immediate" future!

Also, I believe they "prep" the tooth before the crown, but I'm not sure it's actually a filling.
Sensodyne for like couple years. I use the generic one from H.E.B which is the same thing Sensodyne but cheaper. I also use the 1.1% Sodium Flouride now. They help a little bit. I have no pain at all right now though.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Sensodyne for like couple years. I use the generic one from H.E.B which is the same thing Sensodyne but cheaper. I also use the 1.1% Sodium Flouride now. They help a little bit. I have no pain at all right now though.
In my case it was a couple months. The new Colgate version is cheaper and works as well for me.

DH gets cheap, clear mouthguards at Wall-mart or somewhere similar. You don't have to get the pricey ones at the dentist.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
In my case it was a couple months. The new Colgate version is cheaper and works as well for me.

DH gets cheap, clear mouthguards at Wall-mart or somewhere similar. You don't have to get the pricey ones at the dentist.
Dentist said that the Walmart kind will not fit my mouth and I might not like it. They are bulky also.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Dentist said that the Walmart kind will not fit my mouth and I might not like it. They are bulky also.
Well, yes you "might" not like it, but I'm pretty sure he will like the $200 you spend.

They're are lots of styles out there for $50 and under which is still WAY less than the couple hundred you'll pay at the dentist. Yes, you have to trim them down and put them in hot water to mold them to your mouth. DH is entirely happy with them. The ones he buys are about $2 each. Just an option. It may or may not work for you.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Well, yes you "might" not like it, but I'm pretty sure he will like the $200 you spend.

They're are lots of styles out there for $50 and under which is still WAY less than the couple hundred you'll pay at the dentist. Yes, you have to trim them down and put them in hot water to mold them to your mouth. DH is entirely happy with them. The ones he buys are about $2 each. Just an option. It may or may not work for you.
Yes, it would be around $200 with my insurance. Its considered cosmetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health