Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:38 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times

Advertisements

cynwldcat, your last post proves my point:

There is no *known* correlation between MG and dental work. That means, any and all valid studies done to date have come up inconclusive on the "cause" of MG. That does not mean that dental work might be related to MG, any more than it means drinking water might be related to MG, any more than smelling a rose in the last year might be related to MG.

Sure, there could be something in the water triggering MG in people. And maybe there could be something to the notion that inhaling fumes from certain plants could cause MG.

BUT THERE IS NO EVIDENCE SUGGESTING ANY OF THESE THINGS ARE TRUE.

And to suggest otherwise by hint, implication, vague accusation, verbal sparring, is irresponsible and frankly, behavior indicative of conspiracy and scare-mongering that most intelligent people dismiss as just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 AM

20 posts, read 57,027 times
Oh wow, I didn't realize you didn't need to extract wisdom teeth. I went to my primary dentist, she saw that I'm growing wisdom teeth and immediately send me to dental surgeon for extraction. I thought it was normal to get all 4 removed as soon as possible.

I still have one left, removed 3 so far. :$

Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
It's common to get them out automatically, but that doesn't make it automatically necessary. It can be though.

Wisdom teeth are "vestigial" meaning, the species has evolved to the point where they no longer serve a necessary function. As such, they can sometimes get in the way, and prevent the teeth that -are- necessary, from properly shifting where they need to shift.

Also, most jaws aren't big enough to properly accommodate a full set of 4 wisdom teeth (and the occasional 5th which some people have), and so it can create a burden on the jaw involving pain and sinus troubles among other things. Rather than wait until simple extractions are no longer optional, some people prefer just to get rid of them.

I had 2 out of the 4 grow in, and they never caused me any trouble at all. However, they were hard to reach with a toothbrush and eventually (when I was around 47 years old) they developed a couple of small cavities. No point in filling a tooth you don't need in the first place, so I had the doctor yank them out.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:56 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,304,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
cynwldcat, your last post proves my point:

There is no *known* correlation between MG and dental work. That means, any and all valid studies done to date have come up inconclusive on the "cause" of MG. That does not mean that dental work might be related to MG, any more than it means drinking water might be related to MG, any more than smelling a rose in the last year might be related to MG.

Sure, there could be something in the water triggering MG in people. And maybe there could be something to the notion that inhaling fumes from certain plants could cause MG.

BUT THERE IS NO EVIDENCE SUGGESTING ANY OF THESE THINGS ARE TRUE.

And to suggest otherwise by hint, implication, vague accusation, verbal sparring, is irresponsible and frankly, behavior indicative of conspiracy and scare-mongering that most intelligent people dismiss as just that.
Most intelligent people would be open for discussion! Most intelligent would people want to know more. Most intelligent people would like to know where you get your expertise on Myasthenia Gravis.

Scare-mongering--conspirace--give me a break! This is a public forum where people post their opinions and hey--I have my opinion and you do not have to agree! My opinion just happens to be backed up by the medical field and by professionals studing this disease and one more thing--my sister has nearly died 3 times from Myasthenia Gravis in the last few years so yes--I do not speak lightly about this disease and I do speak with some knowledge up close and way to personal!
The people who are involved with Myasthenia Gravis are open to learning more about this disease and not everything will be the answer but we will still keep looking and not dismiss anything!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 02-23-2012 at 03:54 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 01:14 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
One of my kids had hers out during orthodontic treatment, as I did when I was a teen, and had no problems. The other one still has his and the dentist says there is enough room there so unless he has a problem later they will stay in. There are always a risk of complications and I remember reading a page long list of them when we signed the paperwork. My friends son suffered permanent nerve damage on part of his tongue. It's not noticeable and it doesn't bother him but still...blarg! Anesthesia was the scariest part for me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health