Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:36 AM

629 posts, read 932,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I always refuse sedation. Scrambling your brain in that manner carries with it some longer term risk, especially for older patients. Not worth it just so as to make things more convenient for the staff. They may argue that you have to be sedated but you really don't. Go someplace else if you have to. I've had 2 colonoscopies, an upper endoscopy, and a transesophageal echocardiogram w/o sedation. Not a big deal.
Nice to know that your personal experience = what is right for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Nice to know that your personal experience = what is right for everyone.
The real problem is that the medical community doesn't convey sedation as something that can be optional, nor do they explain that sedation does carry some risk. They present it as mandatory instead. This is not informed consent.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:32 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
I don't like Versed, you are conscious but you can't remember what happened. I had it once for an outpatient surgery and for a very long time I would wake up at night in a panic. I would recall small parts of the surgery but never the entire thing, one thing I did recall is that it was very painful, I always felt like it must be what PTSD is like... I could never remember all of it and couldn't move past it because of the flashbacks.

But I guess that's ok with doctors because they figure we won't remember the pain. I will never have it again. A Nurse Anesthetist told me that a lot of docs want to give everyone getting a colonoscopy with versed because they can get the procedure done very quickly (and painfully) but the patient won't remember it.

For dental procedures I ask for Nitrous, I am awake, I remember everything but I just don't care. When they are done it clears your body in a few minutes so that you can safely drive yourself home.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:54 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Hmm, a lot what makes pain such an issue is fear. Fear that you are going to feel it in future, and fear that is triggered by memory of it. Controlling or eliminating fear helps a lot.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:17 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
The real problem is that the medical community doesn't convey sedation as something that can be optional, nor do they explain that sedation does carry some risk. They present it as mandatory instead. This is not informed consent.
Maybe "your" medical community doesn't... mine does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health