U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 AM

12,408 posts, read 17,460,579 times

Advertisements

Study links dental X-rays to brain tumor risk - The Checkup - The Washington Post

This study refers to both types of dental xrays, but only addresses people who had them years ago, when the rad level of the machines was much higher.

I remember when xrays would be taken with every visit because the dentist had to pay for that expensive machine. Now the standard is once every 2 to 3 years. Some say if you have a normally healthy mouth there is no reason to take xrays, period!

As an aside, I read that the traveling xray machines and the imaging clinics charge less for xrays, generally, than do hospitals. They generally have machinery that is dated and purchased from hospitals as the hospitals purchase more state of the art equipment. The newer xray machines have lower rad ratings and so expose you to less radiation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Newark currently leads the nation in violent crime reduction.

Booker has slashed the city budget deficit from $180 million to $73 million.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM

13,435 posts, read 17,015,028 times
goldengrain...I couldn't (for some strange reason, computer I'm sure) look at the site....but I do know that a dental xray has an effective mrem radiation dose of 2 (according to the American College of Radiology), while a cat scan has a dose of 600...so I'd gather you'd need an awful lot of dental x-rays till you'd need to be worried.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM

The following summarizes articles in the New England Journal of Medicine:

MD Whistleblower: CT Scan Risks: Radiation Danger and Overuse Threatens Patients

CAT scans are hundreds of times more powerful than a regular xray.

Dentists, when xray machines were first used by them and they stayed in the room while delivering them, had a very high cancer rate.

The recommendation for dental xrays has been cut back from twice annually to once annually to, now, once every two or three years and some current guidelines suggest not to take them unless there is a specific problem.

Patients underestimate CT scan radiation, risks | Reuters

Will getting two or three CT scans of the abdomen expose you to the same amount of radiation as people who lived near the atomic blast that ravaged Hiroshima in 1945 but survived? YES!

According to one government study, CT scans done in 2007 alone will cause about 29,000 cancers and kill nearly 15,000 Americans.

Dental X-Rays - Dental X-Ray Safety | Colgate

In the head and neck, areas exposed to dental radiation, X-rays increase the risk of damage to or cancer of the lens of the eye, thyroid, salivary glands, bone marrow and skin. No one knows the exact effects of low-dose radiation, which is the type used in dental X-rays. However, the effects of radiation exposures are cumulative . . .

Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 AM

13,435 posts, read 17,015,028 times
I do agree that you shouldn't have ANY x-rays of ANY kind unless there is a real need.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health