U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,401 times

Advertisements

I used this stuff and found that the result is enormous. Here -> : [url]https://bit.ly/2KGHqZ2[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 06:28 AM

5 posts, read 2,324 times
Yep, enormous profits for the crooks who promote it.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:00 AM

1,110 posts, read 683,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Periodontist here. 2sleepy correctly posted a systematic review comparing periodontal endoscopy to traditional scaling and root planing (SRP). Periodontal endoscopy ideally should not be compared to LANAP. A better comparison to LANAP would be traditional osseous surgery, which Jake alluded to in post #37, since it has been touted as the "alternative to gum surgery" by the marketing gurus.

The plot thickens, however. As Jake mentioned, the quality and quantity of scientific evidence regarding LANAP pales in comparison to that of traditional osseous surgery (to be fair, osseous surgery has been around a lot longer). Most of the latest research that I am familiar with shows that LANAP, in the long run, produces results similar to SRP. Let that sink in for a minute - a procedure designed to replace SURGERY is not even producing long-term results that you would expect to see from traditional surgery. Instead, it is producing results similar to a garden variety "deep cleaning" aka SRP. So basically, the scientific evidence is contradicting the marketing claims.

In my hands, traditional periodontal surgery yields more consistent results and is my first choice of treatment for surgical periodontal cases. I'll usually resort to LANAP as a "Hail Mary" when we are out of options and the patient wants to try everything possible to save a tooth. I do know periodontists and general dentists that swear by LANAP, however.

As noted in my previous post I had LANAP surgery > 10 years ago. My gums went south following a hysterectomy, and my periodontist felt laser was the better gum sparing choice for me as I have 4 porcelain veneers on my upper teeth. Before I had the procedure done I actually had to attend an educational appointment with the hygienist to learn how to properly maintain my teeth and gums post procedure, and it is this lack of patient maintenance that is the main reason most fail periodontal surgery be it laser or conventional. My teeth and gums are a great deal of work to maintain, but it is that maintenance that I attribute as a long term LANAP patient why I still have all my teeth today and my gums are pink and tight.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:58 AM

606 posts, read 479,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
As noted in my previous post I had LANAP surgery > 10 years ago. My gums went south following a hysterectomy, and my periodontist felt laser was the better gum sparing choice for me as I have 4 porcelain veneers on my upper teeth. Before I had the procedure done I actually had to attend an educational appointment with the hygienist to learn how to properly maintain my teeth and gums post procedure, and it is this lack of patient maintenance that is the main reason most fail periodontal surgery be it laser or conventional. My teeth and gums are a great deal of work to maintain, but it is that maintenance that I attribute as a long term LANAP patient why I still have all my teeth today and my gums are pink and tight.
Agreed. Maintenance is the most important factor in whether or not treatment has long-term success. Unfortunately, research shows that only about 16% of periodontal patients are compliant with their recommended maintenance schedule. 34% never show up at all and the rest are erratic.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:24 PM

194 posts, read 154,537 times
LANAP doesn't work period. Been there done that.

The old-fashioned surgery barely works.

It's really discouraging.

I've decided to NEVER have this surgery again. It was worse than the 3 c-sections I had.
The pain and suffering, reactions to antibiotics, sky high fever that no one could
explain ... well, I can explain it all now. My body endured a SEVERE TRAUMA!!!!

The cost is astronomical depending on the dentist slash con person.

The last quote I had was almost $8,000 with a PPO insurance plan.

My lanap procedure is vague to me so I no longer remember how much I paid but
most of it was billed to insurance.

The second old-fashioned surgery was done by a doctor with decades of experience
and my out of pocket was just a few hundred.

Maintenance is important but as a person that flosses and brushes religiously (soft brush)
AND goes in every four months for a professional cleaning by a hygienist some of this
is hereditary and just in your DNA.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 1,684 times
To everyone who had the LANAP procedure done, now that it’s 2019, how is everyone fading?
I was just told I needed the procedure this morning. And it had a $7500 price tag with no insurance coverage. FML
I have certain areas with 8-10 gum pockets. And an infection. I went in for a routine cleaning and cane away with this prognosis and no cleaning. They said to wait and do cleaning all at once with the LANAP. I can schedule it 2 weeks from today they said. Clearly my infection wasn’t a rush for them to clear up.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 PM

1,547 posts, read 1,855,614 times
Clearly, an infection that has taken years to create is not gonna change in 2 weeks. Not sure why the sudden emergency.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:20 PM

My husband spoke with his cosmetic dentist friend that lives in a different state. The friend said to go see an actual periodontist and not rely on a dentist only.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:52 AM

5 posts, read 2,324 times
The dentists shill for the Lanap periodontists for a piece of the action. A few percent of an 8 grand procedure is good money for them. Not sure where the stats on patient after-care compliance come from, and I don't believe them. Point me to one reliable study that demonstrates long-term success for this procedure. The fact is, the procedure loosens all the patient's teeth and misaligns the bite. So it invites all types of issues including persistent infections. A conservative approach such as regular periodontal cleanings may be all you need to improve pockets. Do not get hustled into Lanap without getting a second and third opinion from a practitioner you trust.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:51 AM

The thing is it was my dentist who was going to perform the LANAP in his office with his equipment. My out of state friend immediately said that’s a red flag because no dentist would or should have that equipment because it costs a gazillion dollars. So they try to jack up the cost of the treatment to recoup the expense.
The dentist also said that there was a lot of post op maintenance involved. He’ll have to adjust my bite, I’ll need a night guard for life and maintenance cleaning every month. It just sounded like a huge life changing ordeal and expense that I cannot afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health