Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:40 AM

14,880 posts, read 12,033,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You don't know me and where I've been and what pain I deal with. Your words are coming from a dentist viewpoint, right. I'm living both worlds post depression years and this modern life, but I do prefer the simple life far more than this complex web we are living in today...that's how I see it. Nothing a dentist could do in my mouth would change a body of 60 some yrs of arthritis. I'm living it, not anyone else.
Last I checked one didn't go to a dentist to take care of one's arthritis.

Your choices of how to take care of your teeth, or not, are yours to make, of course, as you live with the consequences of your choices, good or not so good. And you can even push your own version of whatever it is to the ends of the internet and back, it's up to others as to how they regard what you say. Whatever, but it doesn't take a dentist's expertise, but simply a little common sense, to know that once pain manifests itself, whether it's dental pain or pain elsewhere, things have gone beyond simple preventative measures, and the fix will most likely be more complicated and costly than the measures taken to prevent the painful condition,or to nip it before it gets out of hand.

I'm glad your teeth feel good to you, and it may even be that you've gotten lucky and the teeth and gums have remained in decent shape over the years, keeping away from sugars and the like is a good idea and may help that, it's true. As would brushing and flossing. But just lack of pain at the moment does not indicate that one's teeth are in stellar condition, and that there are not problems down the road that might be taken care of by preventative maintenance or simple fixes when the problems are first discovered in a routine dental checkup.

I'm not a dentist, have none in my family, get no income from dental interests and that is my perspective.

Keeping on the topic of the thread, I have seen, or heard of first hand of a couple dentists or dental practices that I'd considered engaging in "shady" practices, including recommendation of uncecessary work, and poor shoddy work needing repair by another dentist. I know they are out there, but to lump all dentists and dentistry as a whole in this category does no one a service. As I have mentioned before, I find the best way to find a dentist is by word of mouth, via friends, neighbors, other locals in a given vicinity. We have been very happy with the dentists we have found this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 02:00 PM

5,403 posts, read 3,432,020 times
Quote:
My history on teeth and dental health was all from being born/raised after depression, there was no money and kids didn't go for checkups, they went when there was dental pain and we ATE far far too much foods that went to sugar, including cokes/pepsi...when I think back...but that's how it was.
I'm glad that wasn't the case in my family, however I am 17 years younger than you.

When we were growing up in northeast PA, our "poor" family of 7 (5 kids, 10 years between the oldest and youngest) were at the dentist first before anything else. All of us that needed braces had them. I'm glad this was a high priority with my parents, I have my teeth today and am glad I do!

Old 02-10-2018, 03:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,639,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I'm glad that wasn't the case in my family, however I am 17 years younger than you.

When we were growing up in northeast PA, our "poor" family of 7 (5 kids, 10 years between the oldest and youngest) were at the dentist first before anything else. All of us that needed braces had them. I'm glad this was a high priority with my parents, I have my teeth today and am glad I do!
I grew up in NW PA and I'm the oldest with I believe the worse teeth. We all were raised with fluroidation and that didn't save my teeth...none of the 3 kids ever had braces. We were blue collar family and money was tight and cokes/pepsi drinks were cheap. Too too much sugars.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:06 PM

42,764 posts, read 26,048,855 times
Quote:
I grew up in NW PA and I'm the oldest with I believe the worse teeth. We all were raised with fluroidation and that didn't save my teeth...none of the 3 kids ever had braces. We were blue collar family and money was tight and cokes/pepsi drinks were cheap. Too too much sugars.
I'm 71 and grew up in a blue collar family- my dad worked in a dynamite factory. My brother and I went to the dentist every 6 months and when my parents were told I needed braces they found a way to pay for them. And the only time we ever had soda was when we went camping, when my dad would pull out two bottles of orange crush, one for me and one for my brother, that was the only sugary drink I had until I moved out.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:11 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,639,044 times
We didn't have sugary drinks at home but my gf's and I snuck down street to the drug stores for 5cent coke drinks. And too I believe the pastas/breads (carbs) made my teeth worse.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:48 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,765,927 times
I'm interested to know how a layperson decides what work is unnecessary. There is obviously one person here who thinks a periodontal cleaning is unnecessary.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:21 PM

629 posts, read 925,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I'm interested to know how a layperson decides what work is unnecessary. There is obviously one person here who thinks a periodontal cleaning is unnecessary.
1) If you have to pay for it, then it's unnecessary.

2) If you don't have pain, then it's unnecessary.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:55 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,537,679 times
Is it just me or are many dentists "shady'?

That's the topic. Stay on topic.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:00 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,537,679 times
As I think I said before, my previous dentist was wonderful. The guy before that was okay--he did quality work but didn't exactly have any chair side manner.

But a long time ago I needed a dentist and I got a shady guy. Right out of dental school and probably had a lot of bills to pay. He was nice enough but I never knew I needed so many crowns! I spent a lot of time and money going to him until one day I overheard him on the phone. He sounded like he had been asking about a loan or something but now he was saying he didn't need the money anymore. I heard him say, "Thank goodness, a lot of my patients needed crowns."

That was a red flag as I sat there waiting for him to come back in and get started on another crown. When he was done with that one, I found a new dentist. AND I didn't need any crowns.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:06 PM

42,764 posts, read 26,048,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As I think I said before, my previous dentist was wonderful. The guy before that was okay--he did quality work but didn't exactly have any chair side manner.

But a long time ago I needed a dentist and I got a shady guy. Right out of dental school and probably had a lot of bills to pay. He was nice enough but I never knew I needed so many crowns! I spent a lot of time and money going to him until one day I overheard him on the phone. He sounded like he had been asking about a loan or something but now he was saying he didn't need the money anymore. I heard him say, "Thank goodness, a lot of my patients needed crowns."

That was a red flag as I sat there waiting for him to come back in and get started on another crown. When he was done with that one, I found a new dentist. AND I didn't need any crowns.
I've been to a few dentists like that..they never saw a tooth that didn't need a crown The last dentist I had in Reno was awesome and the guy I'm going to now is very good. I don't really worry about a dentist being 'shady', if I'm not comfortable with their treatment plan I just go get a second opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health