Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 AM

7 posts, read 42,497 times

Advertisements

I have had a strong knock on a tooth with a root canal. I can't go to the dentist till thursday, and I am very concerned.

Is there any way in which I can know whether I have broken something? If there is something broken, what are my chances not to loos the tooth (it is a front tooth)?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
What do you mean by a "strong knock?" Are you saying that when you knock your knuckle against your tooth you get a strong reaction? I've never heard the word "knock" be used in conjunction with the phrase "root canal" before. Do you mean knock, the way a car knocks if it uses bad gasoline? Like, a rattling sound? Please explain, because your question makes no sense to me at all.

Also, is the root canal tooth covered with a crown? That's important to know as well.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 AM

Sorry, English is not my mother tongue.
I mean I had an impact on the tooth. It does not have a crown.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 AM

Oh okay, thanks for explaining. If you're feeling any pain on it now, you really need to call your dentist and tell him it can't wait. He might be able to get a temporary crown on it for now. Or if the root canal was damaged, he can re-do it, or repair it. Or if it's damaged badly enough, he might drill it out completely and recommend implant/bridge.

It really depends on if the structure of the post inside was damaged.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:05 AM

The tooth doesn't hurt, of course, but the gum does feel sore. At first sight the tooth looks normal, and I don't dare try and move it.

My dentist is not available at the moment, by phone or otherwise. I guess I could go to another dentist, but I would rather consult with one I trust (I have had some bad experiences).

Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkM View Post
The tooth doesn't hurt, of course, but the gum does feel sore. At first sight the tooth looks normal, and I don't dare try and move it.

My dentist is not available at the moment, by phone or otherwise. I guess I could go to another dentist, but I would rather consult with one I trust (I have had some bad experiences).
Treat it very gently, but -do- us a soft-bristled brush and floss, if it's not too sore. If it is too sore, rinse your mouth with luke-warm salt-water (just swish it around in your mouth and spit it out).

If the soreness gets worse, or changes, or you feel or see anything "new" then go to a dentist, even if it's a different one.

If there's no change, you can probably hold out til Thursday's visit.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 AM

Thank you, I will follow your advice and post the outcome.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 AM

Well, this is what I have found out:

If you have an impact on a tooth with a root canal and the tooth is not broken, the root canal may or may not be broken below the gum.

Even if the base of the root canal is broken (I don't know about other possible breaks) it might not be visible with x-ray if the tooth has not moved. The break will possibly show later on, though, as a thin line on the x-ray.

Even if the base of the root canal is actually broken you might live with it. If the tooth aches after two weeks or a month or the gum becomes inflamed you might still not lose the tooth, by having an apicoectomy (Apicoectomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) done.

What I am a bit uncertain about is that "living with a broken root canal" option, but since that's a dentist's opinion I guess it might cause no trouble.

I hope this is useful to someone and understandable enough. I've done my best with English.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:23 AM

You did good

You -can- live with a broken root canal, until something else happens to it. You have a weakened tooth. That means "the integrity has been compromised." It's not in danger yet. But it can become in danger very quickly and very severely.

I had a root canal where the old dentist filled one root of the tooth, but didn't put a permanent post in the other root (it was a molar). He didn't tell me that, and then he quit his job with that dental group. I went a couple of years with no problem. And then I noticed a stink when I flossed. The root canal tooth was an anchor for a bridge, so flossing was always difficult there - I have to use a threader. Went back to the dentist to get a checkup, and he said that this tooth had a pretty bad abcess where bacteria had settled into the hollowed-out canal. When he took the bridge off, it STUNK so bad, the little area was filled with rot.

He cleaned it out, packed it with medicated packing, and sent me home for a couple of weeks so the medication would work. Then I went back, he took the packing out, and filled it with the permanent post it was supposed to have 2 years ago. I got the final permanent bridge over the whole thing a few days ago and it'll looking and feeling pretty good again.

Just be careful and attentive to your tooth, keep your eyes open for any changes in your bite, or any swelling around the gumline, or any pain or discomfort. Floss and brush with soft bristles, and use an antibacterial rinse (such as listerine) every night before you go to bed.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:47 PM

Thank you for the advice, I'll be very careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health