Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:28 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,439 times

Advertisements

After doing some research. I found that Crest seems to be the most popular teeth whitening product out there without going to the dentist. Any suggestions?

I am going to the dentist next Friday so they will have to pick shade for my bridge and I want to get my teeth as white as possible and look all even.

I am also worried about my teeth sensitivity as couple of my teeth are sometimes sensitive to very cold liquids.

Crest 3D White Intensive Professional Effects Whitestrips is a good buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Not if you already have sensitivity. Teeth whitening applications contain peroxide, which contributes to sensitivity. There's really no getting around it. Also, the sensitivity you experience following a whitening procedure, whether at home or at the dentist, is -usually- temporary. But it -can- be permanent.

If your teeth are badly discolored, a proper cleaning can fix -some- of it. Whitening can certainly improve it, but only at the -risk- of increased sensitivity. The other option would be veneers, which are like having fake nails put on, except for your teeth, and they don't have to get filled in every 2 weeks

Old 07-15-2012, 03:55 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
After doing some research. I found that Crest seems to be the most popular teeth whitening product out there without going to the dentist. Any suggestions?

I am going to the dentist next Friday so they will have to pick shade for my bridge and I want to get my teeth as white as possible and look all even.

I am also worried about my teeth sensitivity as couple of my teeth are sometimes sensitive to very cold liquids.

Crest 3D White Intensive Professional Effects Whitestrips is a good buy?
I used these and I was VERY pleased with the results. I drink coffee, red wine and tea a lot so my teeth were stained pretty badly (my kids would point out how yellow my teeth were!).

The yellow is gone...completely. I didn't have any issues with tooth sensitivty at all. The hardest part for me was keeping the strips on for 2 hours but that was really the worst of it.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Not if you already have sensitivity. Teeth whitening applications contain peroxide, which contributes to sensitivity. There's really no getting around it. Also, the sensitivity you experience following a whitening procedure, whether at home or at the dentist, is -usually- temporary. But it -can- be permanent.

If your teeth are badly discolored, a proper cleaning can fix -some- of it. Whitening can certainly improve it, but only at the -risk- of increased sensitivity. The other option would be veneers, which are like having fake nails put on, except for your teeth, and they don't have to get filled in every 2 weeks
I have had one tooth that is sensitive but after using the generic version of Sensodyne and the dentist prescribing me 1.1% Sodium Fluoride fixed that issue.

So I started using the strips and left it on for 2 hours as directed and now that same tooth is very sensitive. According to the instructions, this is just temporary and should go away in a day right? The strips also do not cover all of your teeth though.

They are not badly discolored but I want my teeth as white as possible. Which proper cleaning? I get it cleaned every 6 months at the dental office.

Professional cleaning is a good option if the Crest does not work out?

Old 07-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I used these and I was VERY pleased with the results. I drink coffee, red wine and tea a lot so my teeth were stained pretty badly (my kids would point out how yellow my teeth were!).

The yellow is gone...completely. I didn't have any issues with tooth sensitivty at all. The hardest part for me was keeping the strips on for 2 hours but that was really the worst of it.
I have heard great user reviews on it also. Too bad I did not take a picture before I used my first strip but I think I am seeing the results after my first use. The strips do not cover all of your teeth though.

The strips have no taste at all though which is good. I though it had some gel in it?

Old 07-15-2012, 04:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
I have had one tooth that is sensitive but after using the generic version of Sensodyne and the dentist prescribing me 1.1% Sodium Fluoride fixed that issue.

So I started using the strips and left it on for 2 hours as directed and now that same tooth is very sensitive. According to the instructions, this is just temporary and should go away in a day right? The strips also do not cover all of your teeth though.

They are not badly discolored but I want my teeth as white as possible. Which proper cleaning? I get it cleaned every 6 months at the dental office.

Professional cleaning is a good option if the Crest does not work out?
Sensitivity triggered by using whitening strips: It is -usually- temporary. It -can- be permanent.
Sensitivity triggered by professional whitening procedures (such as ZOOM): It is often temporary. It -can- be permanent.

Proper cleaning = proper professional cleaning. But since your teeth aren't badly discolored, it doesn't matter, because as I said, a proper cleaning (professional) would be the first thing you'd try if your teeth were badly discolored.

Cleaning if Crest doesn't work out: Crest already isn't working out because, as you said, it triggered sensitivity in a tooth you knew had been a trouble spot in the past. And as I said - it is -usually- temporary, but -can- be permanent.

Professional *whitening* (which is not the same as cleaning) is MUCH MUCH stronger than Crest whitestrips and if Crest is causing sensitivity, the professional whitening will probably not even be tolerable for you while they're doing it. I had to have them stop before they got to the third tray, because my teeth felt like they were on fire. I had -no- sensitivity until they did the Zoom whitening, and I've had sensitive teeth ever since. The Zoom whitening was the direct cause of the sensitivity, which hasn't gone away in 3 years. It can also damage the gums and cause inflammation, and it can damage tooth enamel if overdone.

Lastly, teeth aren't supposed to be *white.* They're supposed to be off-white, like ivory. Bright white teeth look just as bad as stained teeth.

If your teeth are just "this side" of white, into the yellow but not yellow, then they're not discolored. They're the color they're supposed to be.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:03 PM

You are scaring me by using the word 'permanent'. What are the chances?

I don't smoke, don't eat chocolate/candy, rarely drink coffee, drink tea everyday, rarely drink red wine.

I am 34 and have lost 2 teeth. We kept 1 wisdom tooth so that closes the gap for the 1st tooth I lost.

The other tooth had to be extracted after a crown broke so they put a temporary bridge for now. They will order a bridge for me next week but it has to match the coloring of my teeth.

There is always a catch in these white whitening products. No pain, no gain.

Why don't they made something without any pain then?

Off-white is the best looking teeth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Sensitivity triggered by using whitening strips: It is -usually- temporary. It -can- be permanent.
Sensitivity triggered by professional whitening procedures (such as ZOOM): It is often temporary. It -can- be permanent.

Proper cleaning = proper professional cleaning. But since your teeth aren't badly discolored, it doesn't matter, because as I said, a proper cleaning (professional) would be the first thing you'd try if your teeth were badly discolored.

Cleaning if Crest doesn't work out: Crest already isn't working out because, as you said, it triggered sensitivity in a tooth you knew had been a trouble spot in the past. And as I said - it is -usually- temporary, but -can- be permanent.

Professional *whitening* (which is not the same as cleaning) is MUCH MUCH stronger than Crest whitestrips and if Crest is causing sensitivity, the professional whitening will probably not even be tolerable for you while they're doing it. I had to have them stop before they got to the third tray, because my teeth felt like they were on fire. I had -no- sensitivity until they did the Zoom whitening, and I've had sensitive teeth ever since. The Zoom whitening was the direct cause of the sensitivity, which hasn't gone away in 3 years. It can also damage the gums and cause inflammation, and it can damage tooth enamel if overdone.

Lastly, teeth aren't supposed to be *white.* They're supposed to be off-white, like ivory. Bright white teeth look just as bad as stained teeth.

If your teeth are just "this side" of white, into the yellow but not yellow, then they're not discolored. They're the color they're supposed to be.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I just did Zoom and it was amazing. I have VERY sensitive teeth. The Dentist gave me a special toothpaste to use the week before I went in for the procedure. It made all the difference in the world. No zingers! I highly recommend it.

I tried the over the counter stuff, nothing really worked that well. And when I drank coffee or red wine my teeth stained.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I just did Zoom and it was amazing. I have VERY sensitive teeth. The Dentist gave me a special toothpaste to use the week before I went in for the procedure. It made all the difference in the world. No zingers! I highly recommend it.

I tried the over the counter stuff, nothing really worked that well. And when I drank coffee or red wine my teeth stained.
Which toothpaste?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Which toothpaste?
Crest and Colgate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health