Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:04 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,221 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am an adult with braces. I have never been afraid to go to the dentist until I got my braces put on. I hate hate hate all of the pulling they do on my teeth. I guess I wouldn't be afraid if they hadn't made me sign a contract saying that they are not responsible if they pull out a tooth. Anyways, getting back to my question, is it painful to get braces removed from your teeth? What's the worst part? (I have ceramic braces, and have the metal bands complete around my back teeth). Is it painful to get impressions for your retainer? Also, is there anything I should watch out for when they are removing my braces?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 02:09 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Talking Don't worry...

Of course, it was years and years ago, but I recall nothing about getting my braces off. If it had been traumatic, trust me, I would remember! I just remember going around smiling trying to show off my new "braceless" teeth! And no getting the impressions done was not painful either.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:20 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I agree with KayKay.
I don't remember it hurting when I got mine off and I would have remembered if it would have hurt.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:25 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
I made an appointment to have my teeth cleaned that very day and grinned like a darn fool. I did have some weird dreams for a few weeks afterward - that my teeth were loose and ready to fall out - but got over that. WEAR YOUR RETAINER AT NIGHT!!!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
I made an appointment to have my teeth cleaned that very day and grinned like a darn fool. I did have some weird dreams for a few weeks afterward - that my teeth were loose and ready to fall out - but got over that. WEAR YOUR RETAINER AT NIGHT!!!!!

lol, I sooo know what you mean about the dreams!
I get my braces off in 5 days and I haven't slept more than 5 or so hours in the last week because I keep having those horrible dreams, lol, seriously.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
It's been 35 years and I still have the teeth dreams. And yes, wear your retainer forever. I quit in college and my bottom teeth got crooked again.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's been 35 years and I still have the teeth dreams. And yes, wear your retainer forever. I quit in college and my bottom teeth got crooked again.
Yeah, I plan on wearing my retainer forever...I still have my braces on and they it seems like my teeth have gone back to looking crooked I wish I had the $3k back, I definately wouldn't have gotten braces if I'd known that my teeth would turn out the way they did

Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I agree with KayKay.
I don't remember it hurting when I got mine off and I would have remembered if it would have hurt.
SAME HERE! I remember it hurt more when the orthodondist slid those metal bands up between my teeth and invariably into my gums. OUCH! That was MUCH more painful then having them taken off.

The thing I remember about having them taken off was it took a while to get used to my mouth feeling so empty. LOL.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,064,789 times
It feels so good to get them off, it doesn't hurt. Which each one they remove, and honestly you don't feel much, your teeth feel better and better. And no silly getting impressions doesn't hurt, it's that squishy cool putty like stuff. It reminds me of when I used to walk through the mud as kid and how it squishes between your toes. You'll do fine but if you're still worried take an advil a half hour before you go, it'll take the edge off for you.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 AM

417 posts, read 1,281,731 times
I had braces as an adult, for five years. It does not hurt, whatsoever, to get them off. And the impressions for the retainer are no different from the impressions they took prior to putting on your braces.

The funniest thing after I got my braces off was that my lips would "crash" together after a smile because they were used to all the resistance from the braces. Also, my teeth felt so slippery at first.

Smile, smile, smile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health