Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 01:24 PM

924 posts, read 1,664,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
If the lower ones have to be removed, then the upper ones haven't a lower tooth to strike against while chewing. This can cause gum problems. So get them all done at once if you can.
The dentist didn't mention that but that does makes sense, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 06:31 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,486,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The only time mine became a concern was when I got cavities in them. Neither were impacted, they weren't crowding my other teeth, they were fully exposed. It was just hard to brush back there, and so it was more prone to cavities than the other teeth. The dentist said I could get it filled and possibly have to get other cavities filled on the tooth, or he could just pull it out. He told me it was up to me, he had no recommendation either way because the decision wouldn't affect any other dental issue I had. Both were covered by insurance. I had him yank it. Same thing happened with the other wisdom tooth around 8 years later. Except that one was somewhat loose due to a very mild case of bone degeneration. For that, I would've had to have a root canal to keep the tooth from loosening more and creating problems - or get it yanked. So I had it yanked.

Since wisdom teeth aren't necessary, I think the choice should be "what's the most convenient and least likely to cause harm to the mouth?" If the answer is to leave them alone, then leave them alone. If it's to yank just one, and leave the others, then do that. If it's to pull them all, then pull them all.

As for the costs - bear in mind that the cost to fix your mouth, if you do -not- have wisdom teeth removed, and the wisdom teeth crowd your other teeth badly enough that you have malocclusion or talk with a lisp or can't chew properly or endure headaches and jaw pain.. is a LOT more expensive than pulling the wisdom teeth. If your wisdom teeth are threatening to create these problems, then it might be more cost-efficient for you to get them pulled.

So you have to weigh the risks that apply to you personally. Not everyone's mouth is built exactly the same, and some people can do just fine with wisdom teeth - while others will suffer consequences if they keep them.
I agree with this.

As a dental malpractice risk manager I see a lot of cases of 3rd molars and the problems they cause other teeth. They can also be very expensive to work on in later years (after age 30).

My advice is to ask an oral surgeon why they need to be removed. If there are clinical issues, then fine. If not, then don't.

As to why dentists recommend it, the American Dental Association generally does and therefore if the general dentist fails to recommend it to the patient they will sometimes sue. AAOMS reports wisdom tooth research - American Dental Association - ADA.org So they do so for liability reasons.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:53 AM

158 posts, read 209,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Why did a dentist tell you that you had to remove your wisdom teeth? Were you there to see about another tooth, or what?
Yes, I was there for a routine appointment and I complained about the pain. He immediately said I needed my wisdom teeth removed. Needless to say, I didn't. I didn't go there again as well.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,636,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
A dentist is always going to advise you to remove them regardless of the situation. I was told I had to remove mine. I never did. Never had a problem.
Quote:
Yes, I was there for a routine appointment and I complained about the pain. He immediately said I needed my wisdom teeth removed. Needless to say, I didn't. I didn't go there again as well.
So what did the pain turn out to be, and how was it relieved? I mean, it sounds like you DID have a problem, otherwise why would you have complained about the pain? Your posts aren't contradictory exactly - but they are confusing.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:56 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,684,009 times
I had mine taken out one or two at a time as an adult. One grew in crookedly, so I had that one done first. Then the one below it started to come up too much, so that one was next. When the third one started bothering me, I had both on that side removed at the same time, IIRC.

My husband just had his top two removed because they had cavities in them. The bottom ones are still in good shape so the dentist said it could wait.

It really depends on whether they're erupted, if they're decayed, if they're causing problems.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:35 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,308,325 times
Most dentists will say get them out.

I had a dentist who told me I needed them all out. The top two weren't even impacted and grew straight in, whereas the bottom two were completely impacted and pointing toward my other teeth. I went to a new dentist and he was only dentist I've ever heard say that he doesn't think everyone needs to get them taken out and only recommends that they are removed if: (1) there is an obvious problem like it's pressing on a nerve, the area is infected or it's causing a lot of pain and (2) if a patient really wants them out. Somehow, in the year since he first said that, my wisdom tooth managed to upright itself and started to push out. Now he thinks it's in a really bad position (which I can see myself) and he's thinking I should get it taken out when I'm ready.

The thing is you never know what will happen---some people will have them stay impacted forever and they'll never cause a problem, whereas others will have their wisdom teeth grow in only to have them make all of their other teeth crooked. Others will have them removed when they cause a problem, like food getting stuck or cavities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health