Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM

145 posts, read 358,676 times

Advertisements

How much should it cost to do this? Never really been to a dentist. Will I have to be put to sleep for this? How long to see results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
How much would depend on which treatment you're getting, and how many phases of it you need. It also depends on what kinds of deals your dentist offers. Mine offers free whitening if you use their group's orthodontist for orthodontia work. I think it's less than $100/session for a few sessons, if you don't need braces. I didn't get braces but they gave me a session for my lower teeth free when they gave me a new bridge on my upper teeth.

Mine was that Zoom whitening treatment. They put a tray with gel in your mouth and you have to hold your mouth open for awhile, while wearing funky sunglasses. And they shoot a bright light onto the tray, and it causes a reaction of the gel against your teeth, which bleaches them. The effect is immediate.

Drawback to this treatment: It can be uncomfortable - strong bleach and bright light against your teeth is hot, and if your teeth are sensitive to heat, then it can throb a little. It can also -create- sensitivity where none previously existed, and this -can- become permanent (it isn't always). There's no anasthesia, no gas, no injections. They're not digging or drilling or anything like that. They're just making you hold a tray of gel up against your teeth while a light hits it.

The lightening effect also isn't permanent. If you continue doing whatever you did to cause your teeth to stain in the first place, they will stain again.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
I had a zoom treatment this morning that I got a groupon for. I just want to check if the dentist was screwing me. they didn't put me to sleep and touch my private parts, I mean take my money without providing the proper services.

so I get in there and the guy puts a bunch of stuff in my mouth. he then squirts some stuff out of a syringe on my bottom teeth. he had a little wand with a light on it and he shined the light on my teeth. he did the same thing to the top. that was only a few seconds of light each time. then he put some more stuff on my teeth and they put this fixed light thing to shine on my teeth for 15 minutes. then the lady sucked the stuff off my teeth, had me rinse and said goodbye.

so I googled it after and see that this is about 1/3 of the process since they do that 15 minute light thing 3 or 4 times. so did they basically sell me a zoom treatment and proceed to only do 1/3 of the deal?

Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM

No, they did one out of 3 or 4 treatments. Each time they do the 15-minute thing, it's a treatment. So if it is typically done in 3 or 4 treatments, then you paid for (and received) one treatment.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, they did one out of 3 or 4 treatments. Each time they do the 15-minute thing, it's a treatment. So if it is typically done in 3 or 4 treatments, then you paid for (and received) one treatment.
but everything i am reading says that those 3-4 treatments are performed one right after the other, all in one sitting.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
but everything i am reading says that those 3-4 treatments are performed one right after the other, all in one sitting.
They can be, but don't have to be. When I had mine, it was supposed to be 4 treatments total. I got through the first two but on the third it was too uncomfortable and they said they could continue it another time. I never got it finished, because after the first two I ended up with sensitive teeth that I didn't have before, and it's one of the possible side effects. I didn't really need "whitening" and it was offered to me as a freebie anyway, so it just wasn't worth risking more sensitivity to finish the process.

The usual cost for a single visit is usually between $500 and $650, which includes a set of take-home trays. So if you were being charged $125, and you only went through one 15-minute treatment, then you only paid for a single treatment out of a possible four.

I've never bought anything with groupons, but they really should explain exactly what it is you're paying for, before they take your money. Lesson learned though right? Don't buy something without understanding exactly what it entails first

Old 06-10-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They can be, but don't have to be. When I had mine, it was supposed to be 4 treatments total. I got through the first two but on the third it was too uncomfortable and they said they could continue it another time. I never got it finished, because after the first two I ended up with sensitive teeth that I didn't have before, and it's one of the possible side effects. I didn't really need "whitening" and it was offered to me as a freebie anyway, so it just wasn't worth risking more sensitivity to finish the process.

The usual cost for a single visit is usually between $500 and $650, which includes a set of take-home trays. So if you were being charged $125, and you only went through one 15-minute treatment, then you only paid for a single treatment out of a possible four.

I've never bought anything with groupons, but they really should explain exactly what it is you're paying for, before they take your money. Lesson learned though right? Don't buy something without understanding exactly what it entails first
the groupon that I purchased said "$500 value" so even though I paid much less (I think 129 or so) they are still supposed to give me the full treatment. maybe its "too good to be true" but its also fraud and I did get a credit back from groupon. I wanted to feel confident in my decision to get a refund because I wouldn't ask for a refund if I didn't think the provider didn't do something wrong.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the groupon that I purchased said "$500 value" so even though I paid much less (I think 129 or so) they are still supposed to give me the full treatment. maybe its "too good to be true" but its also fraud and I did get a credit back from groupon. I wanted to feel confident in my decision to get a refund because I wouldn't ask for a refund if I didn't think the provider didn't do something wrong.
Ah! Well if the groupon said it was a $500 value then you should have received a "series of 4" or a "series of 3" plus the take-home trays. It's possible that the person doing the actual work on your teeth, is not the person who signed the dentist's office up for the groupon, and didn't realize that the $125 was supposed to be for the whole shebang, not just one part of it.

If the opportunity arises, you might want to go back to the dentist's office and ask them directly (not confrontationally of course), so that all parties concerned can clear up any misunderstandings. My guess - it was exactly that. A misunderstanding. Maybe theirs, maybe yours, maybe even the Groupon people. Maybe a combination. I'm guessing that the dentist's office doesn't want to lose patients to faulty communication.

EDITED TO ADD AN IMPORTANT POSSIBILITY: There could be some kind of Zoom treatment that only requires a single 15-minute treatment with no take-home tray. I don't know anything about it, other than my own unsuccessful experience with the process.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryDD View Post
Zoom teeth whitening treatment involves deep teeth cleaning in order to remove plaques then they put teeth whitening tray on teeth to bleach them. It can cost you around 6k-8k in India.
that sounds like a great deal of coin for something that costs $500 in America ($129 with a groupon). either its a different treatment or you are talking about currency other than dollars (maybe denarii).

Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
My tooth enamel is fairly porous and I drink a lot of tea. So keeping my teeth shiny and bright has become a problem.

I've tried a number of professional, and expensive, methods all of which had their drawbacks including the repeated expense.

Finally I've found a home solution that works like a charm, takes only a few moments daily and costs pennies.

My first brushing of the day is done with a damp toothbrush dipped in baking soda. I follow that with an extended swishing of a mouthful of hydrogen peroxide. Ta-da! White teeth.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health