Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 03:45 PM

20 posts, read 394,007 times

Advertisements

I had three composite fillings done about three weeks ago on three different teeth (all molars). When ever I chew anything even remotely hard, I get a sharp pain where the new fillings are. I never had this pain before the fillings. Also, I have no sensitivity to cold/heat.

I told my dentist about the problem and she doesn't know why this is happening. She checked my bite, took x-rays, she even said the fillings are small and no where near the nerves. She said give it two more weeks and if I still feel pain she will have to redo the fillings.

My question is, what can be causing the pain whenever I chew on the new fillings? I've had composite fillings before with no problem (different dentist). The fillings are on both lower sides of my mouth so it makes it hard to eat anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,943 times
Could be anything. Bite is off, micro fracture starting in tooth, bond failure, etc. Most of the time it's just the nerves inside the tooth recovering from the procedure. Don't keep testing them to see if it hurts, keep babying them. Ibuprofen as needed. It should get better over time but sometimes can take a few months. If pain worsens or becomes spontaneous then that's another thing.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 AM

20 posts, read 394,007 times
Thanks for the reply. One filling in particular is really sensitive whenever I chew on anything hard. I'm going to have my dentist replace that filling and if it helps I'll have her replace the other two. I originally had an old silver filling which I had the dentist replace with composite because I hated having silver in my mouth. Strange thing is, that's the filling that's the most sensitive. I guess I should of just left the old filling alone. Sigh...

Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,539,294 times
Comp fillings also contract and expand and sometimes that can be a source of pain.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:44 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,619 times
I've had a couple deep fillings in the past, and those teeth took longer to settle down that other fillings. The deeper the filling the closer it is to the nerve and the more tender the tooth will be.

I had one tooth that wouldn't settle down, and the dentist remove the filling, and then put in a sedative filling for a short while, then put in a permanent filling, and I had no more issues; however, since the filling is so deep, down the road when it needs to be replaced, it will require a root canal.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 160,964 times
Same thing happened to me. I had silver fillings and I don't know why I decided to change them to the white fillings cause now I have pain when I eat anything. I had no problems with my teeth before this. I don't know what to do because I don't trust my dentist anymore. I went to get my right side done and all of a sudden I need a root canal and crown. But they didn't see that in the x-Rays. Only after she took my silver filling out. So now I HAVE to get it done.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 160,474 times
Default Always hurts after dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMandM View Post
Same thing happened to me. I had silver fillings and I don't know why I decided to change them to the white fillings cause now I have pain when I eat anything. I had no problems with my teeth before this. I don't know what to do because I don't trust my dentist anymore. I went to get my right side done and all of a sudden I need a root canal and crown. But they didn't see that in the x-Rays. Only after she took my silver filling out. So now I HAVE to get it done.

Miss m, I feel your pain. I was feeling fine and then got "4 cavities" filled and now have pain all over. The pain is so general on the upper left that I can't even tell which tooth it is anymore. Perhaps we should all just never go to the dentist again. It is really frustrating to not be able to trust any dentist, ever. I really don't know how they live with themselves for causing so much pain to people.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 160,489 times
hi, so what happened after you re did the fillings? did the pain go away?

Old 01-22-2015, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 175,711 times
I had silver filling for almost 10 years with no issues. Last week one of filling fell off little bit, so I went to dentist. They insisted to have white filling so I did, while doing one she asked to do other one as well, I said YES so did they both.
Now I feel pressure while chewing and pain even for soft food. I never had this with silver filling before. I used bite immediately after a day or two. I am going to see the Dentist again. I will update soon.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 157,807 times
Default Me too!

Jeez....the one good thing is now I don't feel alone. Went to a new dentist because mine retired. suddenly I had 4 cavities...after 10 years of a "clean mouth". Well, maybe the last guy was incompetent? But I had no pain. I had them, 2 upper, 2 lower, one was "really deep and in need or urgent attention" LHS of mouth fixed with composite 4 weeks ago. I have been in pain ever since. I cannot eat anything on that side - and the RHS of my jaw is tired! I keep seeing to give it time...but this is ridiculous. Did the person who got theirs redone - is it better??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health