U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 57,690 times

Advertisements

The pain started about a week before i got the tooth removed. My nose had a deep burning pain right above my teeth, and there was also pain in my teeth. The pain always happened at the same time. I went to the dentist and he said there was probably roots from my tooth into my sinus, i went to 3 different dentists and none of them would pull it out because of the sinus problem. they recommended me to a dentist who didn't mind pulling it out. He got it out in about 2 or 3 minutes. the pain was really bad afterwards and it bl;ed for about 6 hours, i called them back and they gave me antibiotics. About 2 weeks later there was still alot of pain in my mouth and my nose, my eye would swell shut and start leaking randomally. Along with my cheek swelling and tons of nasal drip. It would go away for about 2 or 3 days. Making me think it finally healed. BUt it came back again with the same problems lots of swelling and pain, and eye plus nasal drip. The whole while I had been on 3 different antibiotics because they thought it just kept getting infected. I got a blood test done to make sure there wasnt any serious infections, it came back good. Then they told me to get a ct scan of my mouth and nasal cavity, it came back normal. So now its been like a month and a half since the extraction, All of the same symptoms remain. my dr has no idea what to do next or what my problem could be, I have asked a couple dentists and dr's. I have an appt with an ENT in a few weeks (soonest they could get me in). I wake up multiple times throughout the night in pain and my face hot and swollen. Please if any of you could tell me your suggestions or what you might think is happening I would greatly appreciate it. I really need help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,138,624 times
Call your doctor, the one following you, and speak to his medical assistant (?nurse?) to ask him/her to call the ENT doctor to see you sooner. I can't fathom WHY he hasn't done so already, but for the fact that this is how sad our medical system is becoming today. Doctors used to do this without being asked, but then they also had real RNs, who were schooled, who were their colleagues. Today, the persons making the appointments have ZERO medical training, so they don't understand the gravity of your situation. I have worked in the ICU, as a RN, and seeing patients who have severe infections in their brains, which began as either tooth abscesses or tonsillitis is not uncommon. If that doesn't work, go back to the DDS who removed the molar, a while ago now, and ask him to call the ENT to get you seen this week. Please, post the outcome of this, too, as I'm dealing with this same molar/chronic sinusitis issue and fear I will have your same exact outcome. I am outraged that you've been 'shuffled around' by the medical system as you have! MDs now understand how important our tooth health is to our heart and other body health, but seeing any Dentist, when you have no dental insurance or a BIG bank account is impossible! In my opinion, our pets get better dental care, but not much cheaper. I pray for a good outcome for you.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:00 PM

23,112 posts, read 22,174,104 times
I second what was written above. I had a similar experience of being bumped from the dental people to the sinus people and back and then back again for months. One would say it was the tooth, the other would say it was the sinus. Meanwhile I had no life.

I did find out that there is a huge connection between the teeth and the sinuses and it's hard to tell which is which at times. I ended up going to an oral surgeon who extracted the tooth. Nothing changed.

That meant it was the sinus all along and I ended up needing a dental implant where the oral surgeon had taken the tooth out. (Went to a different oral surgeon for that!) For the sinus problem, sinus surgery by a GOOD ENT was the magic that finally did the trick. I was so scared that I had a perforated sinus but this ENT (as opposed to the idiot who had seen me previously and had done ineffective sinus surgery) told me it was a chronic sinus infection caused by blockage due to scar tissue. After the sinus surgery by this ENT I was fine. Ask around, if you can, and find a really good ENT.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 PM

5,273 posts, read 13,197,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Call your doctor, the one following you, and speak to his medical assistant (?nurse?) to ask him/her to call the ENT doctor to see you sooner. I can't fathom WHY he hasn't done so already, but for the fact that this is how sad our medical system is becoming today. Doctors used to do this without being asked, but then they also had real RNs, who were schooled, who were their colleagues. Today, the persons making the appointments have ZERO medical training, so they don't understand the gravity of your situation. I have worked in the ICU, as a RN, and seeing patients who have severe infections in their brains, which began as either tooth abscesses or tonsillitis is not uncommon. If that doesn't work, go back to the DDS who removed the molar, a while ago now, and ask him to call the ENT to get you seen this week. Please, post the outcome of this, too, as I'm dealing with this same molar/chronic sinusitis issue and fear I will have your same exact outcome. I am outraged that you've been 'shuffled around' by the medical system as you have! MDs now understand how important our tooth health is to our heart and other body health, but seeing any Dentist, when you have no dental insurance or a BIG bank account is impossible! In my opinion, our pets get better dental care, but not much cheaper. I pray for a good outcome for you.
I'll third this advice.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 52,583 times
Default out of options and in serious pain

I have been having the same problem for 4 months first the dentist said it was a root canal and then he pulled 4 more front teeth and my face kept sweeling and I couldnt see out of my eye. I have an 18month old baby and and cant even funtion, My dentist referred me to an oral surgeon who took out all my top teeth and I was still having the same problem. After going to the E>R> they said it was an abcess and sent me with more antibiotics, I was on 3 different kinds. I would be up all night and in excruciating pain, so I went back to the oral surgeon and they said it was my bones fusing together, and gave me more antibioticss, 4 days later I went to another E.R. and they said they couldnt see anything except a sinus infection, so I had all my upper teeth puled for nothing at 32 years old and now I need to get into an ENT to find out what to do cause it is enough to make a person suicidal and the ibuprophen isnt touching it, Im hoping the ENT can do something cause its been 4 months and I cant take anymore pain like this with an 18 month old baby

Old 04-25-2015, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 45,369 times
I had 3 upper teeth pulled on 4/20/15. Today I Continue to have severe pain only in one spot (and a horrible headache). I'm taking ibuprofen 800mg Q4hrs (trying to make them last 5hrs). Went back to the dentist on 4/24/15 and he said there was no dry socket and the blood clot looks really good. Where would the pain I have be coming from? I am a medical assistant and have also had the MD I work for look in my mouth and he said everything looks fine....HELP!!!!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 PM

3,077 posts, read 2,340,672 times
You very well might have an infected maxillary sinus. Get a second opinion on those x-rays, pronto. Insist on it! Make sure that it is done by a radiologist expert in sinus x-rays - very important. Why?

You may have developed chronic sinusitis, not responsive to antibiotics, and often difficult to detect radiologically, which will require more invasive intervention. I don't know. I'm just saying.

This is important because more than very rarely, complications can arise after oral surgery, and there are way less than lots of experts, experienced in these particular issues out there. So, it's on you to direct this thing. Chronic, sometimes debilitating after effects from procedures such as yours are not unheard of, but are very often missed. Stop at nothing.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:15 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,129,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
You very well might have an infected maxillary sinus. Get a second opinion on those x-rays, pronto. Insist on it! Make sure that it is done by a radiologist expert in sinus x-rays - very important. Why?

You may have developed chronic sinusitis, not responsive to antibiotics, and often difficult to detect radiologically, which will require more invasive intervention. I don't know. I'm just saying.

This is important because more than very rarely, complications can arise after oral surgery, and there are way less than lots of experts, experienced in these particular issues out there. So, it's on you to direct this thing. Chronic, sometimes debilitating after effects from procedures such as yours are not unheard of, but are very often missed. Stop at nothing.
Where does one find a radiologist who is an expert in sinus xrays?

Old 05-03-2015, 12:57 AM

3,077 posts, read 2,340,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Where does one find a radiologist who is an expert in sinus xrays?
Have your doctor contact a reputable otolaryngologist or the radiology department at a large medical center. They often have experts that they consult in difficult cases. Just indicate you want a second opinion.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:53 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,129,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Have your doctor contact a reputable otolaryngologist or the radiology department at a large medical center. They often have experts that they consult in difficult cases. Just indicate you want a second opinion.
I work with radiologists routinely involving imaging of the head. There is no such thing as a "sinus xray expert".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health