Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
I don't know any place in US for that, but in Canada, they never do an Xray to clean my teeth. They do the Xray after, to check for cavities and if they find one, that's a different visit. Cleaning is always separate from filling cavities, at least for us. Unless you don't want to know if you have cavities, you won't really have need to get Xray. Well, I think you can refuse. I can't imagine why you couldn't.
Here's one possible reason why:

Let's say, just for kicks and giggles, you're one of those people who refuse medical care when you actually need it, because you think you know better than the doctor.

And let's say that this time, you're actually wrong, and you have two cavities in each of three molars, one cavity in each of five more teeth, plus significant gum recession, plaque buildup, discoloration, and enamel deterioration in all of your teeth.

Here's what is likely to happen if you get your teeth cleaned in this example, without x-rays first:

You clean around a dozen teeth that need to be treated, and now you have a dozen clean teeth that need treating. Except for two - which need to be extracted because the enamel's gone and the bone has disintegrated beneath them. And, since the dentist used one of those nasty scary sharp hook-looking things to pry off the built-up tartar from under the gumline, he has also now exposed the root of the tooth, because there was a cavity there that he couldn't see because he didn't take an x-ray. So now, you're in excruciating pain with an exposed root. But hey the tooth that needs the root canal treatment is clean, right? That's all that matters!

Wrong.

X-ray first. That way you know which teeth need something OTHER than cleaning. A professional cleaning isn't just going over it with a brush attached to a drill head. There's a lot of picking and prying involved, and if there are problems beneath the surface the results can be incredibly painful, and you could end up with an infection, and be in worse shape than you were before you walked in. And then you sue the dentist for not checking first to make sure there was nothing wrong with the teeth he just picked and pried at, and he has to deal with all the red tape and ridiculousness that goes along with the suit, all because you decided you didn't need x-rays.

As I've said before - and repeat now:

IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY OF PROBLEMS with you teeth - then you get your full set every 2 years, PLUS bitewings on the trouble spots, PLUS another set if the history is significant.

IF YOU HAVE NO HISTORY of problems with your teeth - then you get a full set every 2 years, plus bitewings on the off-year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 12:18 AM

83 posts, read 104,479 times
Before 3 years, I had done teeth whitening without any x-ray and I didn't have any problem for it. Consult your dentist for best advice.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
Default American Dental Association Disagrees

Following the argument here, your MD should be doing a CT scan before seeing you.

In point of fact, the ADA (American Dental Association) best practices states the Dentist must do an examination to determine if an X-ray is needed.

"Dentists should conduct a clinical examination, consider the patient’s oral and medical
histories, as well as consider the patient’s vulnerability to environmental factors that may affect
oral health before conducting a radiographic examination... Radiographs should be taken only when there is an expectation that the diagnostic yield will affect patient care."

Where did you get your notions?

Old 06-01-2016, 06:02 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
$60 is not inexpensive to me, personally.
They have never found anything wrong in 40 yrs looking at my xrays, really.
Wow, you must have exellent teeth, I don't know anyone who's 40 without any fillings. Impressive!

Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityr View Post
Following the argument here, your MD should be doing a CT scan before seeing you.

In point of fact, the ADA (American Dental Association) best practices states the Dentist must do an examination to determine if an X-ray is needed.

"Dentists should conduct a clinical examination, consider the patient’s oral and medical
histories, as well as consider the patient’s vulnerability to environmental factors that may affect
oral health before conducting a radiographic examination... Radiographs should be taken only when there is an expectation that the diagnostic yield will affect patient care."

Where did you get your notions?
Um, you DO know this thread has laid dormant for nearly a year?

Old 06-01-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Wow, you must have exellent teeth, I don't know anyone who's 40 without any fillings. Impressive!
My boss is 59 and due to fluoridated water, he has never had a cavity.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
My boss is 59 and due to fluoridated water, he has never had a cavity.
Most of the U.S. waters are fluoridated and I grew up in "F" water and mouthful of dental work.

I do my best now to NOT drink fluoridated water and have not seen a dentist in about 5 yrs...make my own toothpaste from coconut oil base and my added "goodies" and my teeth are pretty healthy as I approach 78....but I've had years of fluoridation and dental work. I stopped xrays at dental office about 10 yrs ago..

Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Most of the U.S. waters are fluoridated and I grew up in "F" water and mouthful of dental work.

Interesting. I had terrible teeth as a child and went to a fluoridated treatment and went decades without a cavity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I do my best now to NOT drink fluoridated water and have not seen a dentist in about 5 yrs...make my own toothpaste from coconut oil base and my added "goodies" and my teeth are pretty healthy as I approach 78....but I've had years of fluoridation and dental work. I stopped xrays at dental office about 10 yrs ago..
It's always a huge gamble not using x-rays. They detect things that cannot be seen. Small cavities can be detected that later become root canals. Small areas of infection can be caught that can save a tooth, lead to a hospital stay or in extreme cases cost someone their life. I have a case on my desk of a man who refused x-rays and ended up 21 days in the hospital and 7 surgical procedures. He is trying to blame the dentist for his refusal for x-rays, which one would expect. But we all tend to our health needs as we see fit.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Interesting. I had terrible teeth as a child and went to a fluoridated treatment and went decades without a cavity.

It's always a huge gamble not using x-rays. They detect things that cannot be seen. Small cavities can be detected that later become root canals. Small areas of infection can be caught that can save a tooth, lead to a hospital stay or in extreme cases cost someone their life. I have a case on my desk of a man who refused x-rays and ended up 21 days in the hospital and 7 surgical procedures. He is trying to blame the dentist for his refusal for x-rays, which one would expect. But we all tend to our health needs as we see fit.
This is the exact reason why most dentists will refuse to treat without xrays. Liability.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:48 AM

629 posts, read 933,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
This is the exact reason why most dentists will refuse to treat without xrays. Liability.
Exactly. Some patients think "It's ok doc, I'll sign a waiver releasing you of any liability". BS. Those waivers won't hold up in court when you get a patient like Blazer's. They aren't worth the paper they're printed on. A patient can't consent to negligence.

The door swings both ways. Refuse x-rays? Fine, I can't force you to get them. But you also can't force me to look in your mouth and clean your teeth. Go become some other dentist's headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health