Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,798,718 times

Advertisements

My old Dentist retired and I went to a new Dentist near my home this morning. The Dental Insurance paid for my Exam, X-ray and Cleaning. That part was fine but once the actual Dentist came over he seemed like a bully. (I had never seen him before and just found him through the Yellow Pages)

He was very rough in the treatment of my mouth and came up with 8 teeth that needed a filling and one that needed a Root Canal and another needed a crown.

My last appointment with the Dentist was six months ago and I have not needed a filling for over two years.

I think it seems unusual that I would need all this work after getting a clean bill of health from my last Dentist. It reminded me of going to an auto mechanic and being told I need a new engine and transmission.

Trouble is I can't get paid by Insurance for a new examination (to get a second opinion) unless I wait another six months.

If I go to a new dentist for a second appointment I would not tell her that the last appointment (today) said I needed all this work. I am sure she would agree to make money.

Do you think Dentists say you need all kinds of work when you really don't?

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:48 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,410,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My old Dentist retired and I went to a new Dentist near my home this morning. The Dental Insurance paid for my Exam, X-ray and Cleaning. That part was fine but once the actual Dentist came over he seemed like a bully. (I had never seen him before and just found him through the Yellow Pages)

He was very rough in the treatment of my mouth and came up with 8 teeth that needed a filling and one that needed a Root Canal and another needed a crown.

My last appointment with the Dentist was six months ago and I have not needed a filling for over two years.

I think it seems unusual that I would need all this work after getting a clean bill of health from my last Dentist. It reminded me of going to an auto mechanic and being told I need a new engine and transmission.

Trouble is I can't get paid by Insurance for a new examination (to get a second opinion) unless I wait another six months.

If I go to a new dentist for a second appointment I would not tell her that the last appointment (today) said I needed all this work. I am sure she would agree to make money.

What would you do?
I've really wondered this too. It definitely sounds like something is up with this new dentist. That's an awful lot of work. If you can afford to pay out of pocket, I would go to a different dentist.. Look for reviews online and see if family or friends can recommend one.

Can dentists just lie about cavities and fill decay that isn't really there?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:00 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,047,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

What would you do?

Yes, I have heard of dishonest dentists doing work that wasn't required.
Did your insurance go through for the first dental visit? If it hasn't maybe you can pay cash for the exam only. See the second dentist under your insurance. I'd pay out of pocket for the second opinion if need be.
I think you should trust your gut and go somewhere else. Ditch the dentist you don't like. And if it turns out the first dentist was wrong about the work I'd report him to the licensing board in your state. Take a look at rate md dot com to look up reviews of dentists near you. It will give you some place to start or ask your friends and neighbors for recommendations.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:57 PM

823 posts, read 1,788,567 times
I don't mean to offend dentists, but I am learning to not trust them! My husband's dentist suggested some work to maximize on the insurance since it was fall and the year was ending. Sure. 2 fillings later and whatever else he did, it was $500 bucks and that wasn't all he wanted to do. I was shocked. They knew the cost and made it sound like these were all covered expenses. I was able to pay the amount, but can you imagine someone being stuck with a $500 bill? And who knew if I really needed all that work.

My daughter's dentist says she has a few cavities. I was so upset, but made the appt for the fillings anyway. I'm canceling the appts. Don't trust dentist. I only use them for the free cleanings, without polishing since polishing makes your teeth sensitive.

I am careful to brush and floss now and with oil pulling and some other natural approaches, I am hoping to avoid dentures and dd the fillings that the dentist says are needed.

I've read about so many people being told they need fillings and root canals when they didn't. I would get a second opinion and even after they confirm the cavity, I would oil pulling or using coconut oil and/or oregano oil for a few months.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
I don't mean to offend dentists, but I am learning to not trust them! My husband's dentist suggested some work to maximize on the insurance since it was fall and the year was ending. Sure. 2 fillings later and whatever else he did, it was $500 bucks and that wasn't all he wanted to do. I was shocked. They knew the cost and made it sound like these were all covered expenses. I was able to pay the amount, but can you imagine someone being stuck with a $500 bill? And who knew if I really needed all that work.

My daughter's dentist says she has a few cavities. I was so upset, but made the appt for the fillings anyway. I'm canceling the appts. Don't trust dentist. I only use them for the free cleanings, without polishing since polishing makes your teeth sensitive.

I am careful to brush and floss now and with oil pulling and some other natural approaches, I am hoping to avoid dentures and dd the fillings that the dentist says are needed.

I've read about so many people being told they need fillings and root canals when they didn't. I would get a second opinion and even after they confirm the cavity, I would oil pulling or using coconut oil and/or oregano oil for a few months.
I'm starting not to trust dentists either. I have to get a tooth pulled and then an implant put in, but after that, I might try to avoid dentists. I will definitely start taking way better care of my teeth and gums. I do have a question though. How can a dentist fill cavity that isn't there? Also, what is oil pulling?

Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 PM

823 posts, read 1,788,567 times
The bad dentists will tell you there's a cavity and even show you proof on an x-ray, but to me, your average person who doesn't read x-rays or know dentistry or can't look into my own mouth, I would believe them. If the cavity isn't there, they can still drill into healthy teeth and fill. In my case, the cavity he showed me with the small mirror that he put in my mouth was not a black spot. It didn't look like a cavity and the dental hygenist questioned him too, but he's the dentist with all the education and training. I trusted him and let him drill and fill. I think in my case, there was something there, but I'm sure I could've monitored it. I think he saw $$ and a big sucker .

I just started reading about oil pulling this year. It's an old-time way of healing that was done long, long, long ago. It was very common and is suppose to cure all sorts of things. It is suppose to do wonders for our dental health, though.

ORIGINAL METHOD: take 1 tablespoon of oil and swish in your mouth first thing in morning for about 30 minutes, then spit out and brush teeth.

WHAT I DO: Take 1 tsp oil when I wake up and swish for as long as I can before spitting in trash. Then brush teeth.

WHY: Oil pulling early in morning, first thing when you wake up when your stomach is empty, is suppose to draw out toxins in your body. They say your mouth is the entryway to your body, so all the bacteria in our mouth wanders into our body and causes all these health problems. Oil pulling somehow pulls these toxins out.

BENEFITS: Look it up online and you'll people testify of being cured of diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. I don't know. I don't have these problems. My fingers tingle when I drive (thanks to holding my young son for so long) and it seems to have stopped after oil pulling--well, oil pulling, plus taking cod liver oil.

Big benefit is a healthy mouth. You will notice first thing, as my brother did, that your mouth feels cleaner. Mine does feel cleaner and the plague brushes off very easily when I brush. Cleaner mouth. No plaque. Fresher breath. Whiter teeth.

I've also noticed softer skin--no more rough feet

WHAT TYPE OF OIL: Pretty much any natural oil: coconut oil, olive oil, sunflower, sesame, grapeseed...I've tried all this except olive oil. I told my sister who told a coworker when the coworker complained about a painful tooth. The coworker went home and oil pulled with olive oil (most kitchens have this) and she said the pain went away. She came to work and told my sister to thank me, because the pain was horrendous! We all know what that's like.

Out of all the oils I've tried, I seem to have the most benefit with coconut oil, which in itself has many wonder healing powers. If you have a toothache, put some unrefined coconut oil (it's a solid) on that tooth and the pain will go away.

OREGANO OIL: Oregano oil is a natural antibiotic. This stuff is powerful. It's more expensive than coconut oil and I have not seen the benefits as other reviewers on Amazon have. Read those reviews. What I noticed when I had a toothache was that oregano oil when applied directly on that tooth, the pain went away instantly. Instantly! It killed the bacteria, I guess.

Someone on this site mentioned oil pulling and also using oregano oil, so I've starting both of that. I floss, swish with a little oregano oil to coat my entire mouth, then brush and then swish a little with coconut oil.

Look into oil pulling and try it out. It won't hurt and it's cheap and easy! People gag sometimes, but don't use a lot of oil because when it mixes with saliva, your mouth will be just too full. I'm also paying attention to my body's pH. Now that's another topic .

Old 03-26-2014, 10:42 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,387,051 times
Dentists don't make any money by telling you there's nothing wrong with your teeth! This guy sounds like your typical con artist dentist.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:22 PM

506 posts, read 2,576,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Dentists don't make any money by telling you there's nothing wrong with your teeth! This guy sounds like your typical con artist dentist.
Bah, fillings are for amateurs. To make the real money, you recommend a root canal, then a crown, then you extract the tooth and do an implant, but make sure it's a healthy tooth first </sarcasm>

Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
The bad dentists will tell you there's a cavity and even show you proof on an x-ray, but to me, your average person who doesn't read x-rays or know dentistry or can't look into my own mouth, I would believe them. If the cavity isn't there, they can still drill into healthy teeth and fill. In my case, the cavity he showed me with the small mirror that he put in my mouth was not a black spot. It didn't look like a cavity and the dental hygenist questioned him too, but he's the dentist with all the education and training. I trusted him and let him drill and fill. I think in my case, there was something there, but I'm sure I could've monitored it. I think he saw $$ and a big sucker .

I just started reading about oil pulling this year. It's an old-time way of healing that was done long, long, long ago. It was very common and is suppose to cure all sorts of things. It is suppose to do wonders for our dental health, though.

ORIGINAL METHOD: take 1 tablespoon of oil and swish in your mouth first thing in morning for about 30 minutes, then spit out and brush teeth.

WHAT I DO: Take 1 tsp oil when I wake up and swish for as long as I can before spitting in trash. Then brush teeth.

WHY: Oil pulling early in morning, first thing when you wake up when your stomach is empty, is suppose to draw out toxins in your body. They say your mouth is the entryway to your body, so all the bacteria in our mouth wanders into our body and causes all these health problems. Oil pulling somehow pulls these toxins out.

BENEFITS: Look it up online and you'll people testify of being cured of diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. I don't know. I don't have these problems. My fingers tingle when I drive (thanks to holding my young son for so long) and it seems to have stopped after oil pulling--well, oil pulling, plus taking cod liver oil.

Big benefit is a healthy mouth. You will notice first thing, as my brother did, that your mouth feels cleaner. Mine does feel cleaner and the plague brushes off very easily when I brush. Cleaner mouth. No plaque. Fresher breath. Whiter teeth.

I've also noticed softer skin--no more rough feet

WHAT TYPE OF OIL: Pretty much any natural oil: coconut oil, olive oil, sunflower, sesame, grapeseed...I've tried all this except olive oil. I told my sister who told a coworker when the coworker complained about a painful tooth. The coworker went home and oil pulled with olive oil (most kitchens have this) and she said the pain went away. She came to work and told my sister to thank me, because the pain was horrendous! We all know what that's like.

Out of all the oils I've tried, I seem to have the most benefit with coconut oil, which in itself has many wonder healing powers. If you have a toothache, put some unrefined coconut oil (it's a solid) on that tooth and the pain will go away.

OREGANO OIL: Oregano oil is a natural antibiotic. This stuff is powerful. It's more expensive than coconut oil and I have not seen the benefits as other reviewers on Amazon have. Read those reviews. What I noticed when I had a toothache was that oregano oil when applied directly on that tooth, the pain went away instantly. Instantly! It killed the bacteria, I guess.

Someone on this site mentioned oil pulling and also using oregano oil, so I've starting both of that. I floss, swish with a little oregano oil to coat my entire mouth, then brush and then swish a little with coconut oil.

Look into oil pulling and try it out. It won't hurt and it's cheap and easy! People gag sometimes, but don't use a lot of oil because when it mixes with saliva, your mouth will be just too full. I'm also paying attention to my body's pH. Now that's another topic .
Sounds interesting.. I think I might try it. Do you really have to swish it around your mouth for 30 minutes though? It seems like a long time..doesn't your mouth get tired? Is oil also good for treating inflamed gums? The gums around three of the molars on my right side have been red and puffy lately..

Old 03-28-2014, 01:06 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,557,061 times
As in ANY profession there are a few who are unscrupulous.

With respect to a second opinion, not a bad idea. Ask for a copy of your xrays, locate another dentist (one who owns and runs his own practice) and see what they have to say. Don't tell them what the other dentist told you, just ask for a treatment plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health