Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 06:24 PM

22,622 posts, read 47,758,002 times

Advertisements

I wear a retainer every night.

Yes, your teeth can shift. They crowd forward as you get older. There is actually a big business with adult braces because of all the moving!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,035,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I wear a retainer every night.

Yes, your teeth can shift. They crowd forward as you get older. There is actually a big business with adult braces because of all the moving!
Thanks Pitt Chick, how often do you tighten your retainers? Last time I did mine was summer 2012...2 years later & I'm thinking about doing it again...

Old 05-27-2014, 07:53 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Better safe than sorry. I would use them FOREVER. Keeps your head from shrinking when you get old.
You are in rare form today huh?

Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,455,457 times
I got braces when I was 34 due to a shift in my jaw. I got them off when I was 36. I'm 40 now. I have a wire retainer cemented behind my bottom teeth and I wear top and another bottom retainer at night.

I saw this was originally posted in the relationships forum. I haven't dated anyone with the retainers (did briefly with braces) but my best friend (male) has seen them numerous times and says they make me look younger. I have wondered if they'd be an issue when I met someone and like everything else, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:46 AM

44,378 posts, read 20,094,272 times
I wore a retainer from age 14 to 50. For decades, if I skipped even one night, I could tell that my front teeth had shifted a little.

When I was on overnight dates, I discreetly set my retainer aside, in its box, during intimate times. It was never a problem. I didn't take the retainer out or put it in while my boyfriend watched. It was very easy to be discreet about it.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:14 PM

683 posts, read 1,887,076 times
I've had a bottom retainer cemented in for almost 25 years, behind my front six teeth. Despite this, two of the bottom, front teeth have shifted and one protrudes further than the others.

I had some huge wisdom teeth come in after the retainer was put in and they stayed there until the end of last year. I think they caused overcrowding and I might not have had an issue with the front teeth shifting if I had listed to the dentist and had them remove years ago before they even came in.

I wonder sometimes how much more they would have shifted if I didn't have that bottom retainer cemented in there.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 AM

36 posts, read 111,471 times
After leaving braces teeths try to shift to their original place but not completely it will shift but quite a bit. Thats why to avoid that dentists recommend to wear retainers and I think its not at all bad idea to wear retainers. I think you definitely want to keep your teeths in right place and for that whenever you feel you can wear retainer you can wear that.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:42 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,835,015 times
I had braces when I was 13. I am not sure how long I wore a retainer at night but eventually did not. I really started noticing my teeth shifting and one tooth especially knocked against another. So at 30 I got Invisalign. I finished with that after a year or so and since then and for the rest of my life I will wear a retainer.
The orthodontist did say that even people who wear their retainer but had braces as a kid may see shifting. Now as an adult though I hope they will stay put if I wear the retainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health