Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM

716 posts, read 557,447 times

Advertisements

My upper molar third from the back has a broken filling and dentist says needs root canal. I think I'd rather have it extracted. The gap won't be noticeable when I smile. More importantly, I'm at a new job in probation period and I'm learning new and difficult things every day. I can't be in pain and unable to concentrate or sleepy from pain medication. I think the extraction would be an easier recovery. Am I right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 03:59 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,261,432 times
I did exactly this (though on lower right) and then got an implant, am waiting for a crown. Expensive but MUCH better than a root canal, IMO.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:11 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I think it depends on your age, if there is a chance your teeth might shift, that's something to consider.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:25 PM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I think it depends on your age, if there is a chance your teeth might shift, that's something to consider.
My husband had a tooth pulled, didn't bother with the recommended implant. His teeth shifted, put pressure in abnormal areas when he bit down so his teeth keep cracking, two so far requiring two root canals with crowns. It's getting expensive! His dentist says this will stop if he'd just get the implant so next month, when our insurance will cover a portion, I'm making the appointment.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:09 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
My upper molar third from the back has a broken filling and dentist says needs root canal. I think I'd rather have it extracted. The gap won't be noticeable when I smile. More importantly, I'm at a new job in probation period and I'm learning new and difficult things every day. I can't be in pain and unable to concentrate or sleepy from pain medication. I think the extraction would be an easier recovery. Am I right?
No I would not have it extracted. I think it would be foolish dental healthwise and cost you much more in the long run. Neither procedure is going to cause pain for more than a day or two, and thanks to opiod paranoia your dentist isnt going to give you pain pills anyway! Any employer worth wasting another minute on is going to understand you may need to take it easy for a day or too. Saving a real tooth is always preferable to the alternatives.

Having said that it wont be the end of the world. I have a missing molar and I survive without it, but if root canal and crown had been an option I would have taken it. I didnt have that option because the tooth was too cracked to save and there wasn't enough bone for an implant, even if I had had the $6000 which I didn't.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:13 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
For goodness sake - have the root canal. Then you will have the tooth later on in age and will not have problems from a gap in your teeth, which can cause many more problems.

Root canals are nothing these days. They give you anesthetic and you never feel a thing, unlike all that drilling, etc., with a regular filling. I've had several and back at work next day, never looked back. Don't be a wimp. Get the modern dentistry done and you'll thank yourself in the years to come.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
For goodness sake - have the root canal. Then you will have the tooth later on in age and will not have problems from a gap in your teeth, which can cause many more problems.

Root canals are nothing these days. They give you anesthetic and you never feel a thing, unlike all that drilling, etc., with a regular filling. I've had several and back at work next day, never looked back. Don't be a wimp. Get the modern dentistry done and you'll thank yourself in the years to come.
Agreed. I fell asleep during a root canal and I was only given a local anethetic. The dentist got mad at me for falling asleep. There's usually little pain afterward because the nerve is gone from the root. Having it pulled if root canal is an affordable option is a face slapper

Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
No. I disagree.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
No, I've had 9 root canals, there was no recovery. You get a local anesthetic so you don't feel anything during the procedure and when that wears off you are fine. I've never even taken an aspirin for pain after a root canal. Keep your teeth, your teeth can shift when you lose one and then you will have all sorts of problems.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:48 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
I've had both, I much prefer the root canal

Tooth extraction is the very last option. Once extracted, your tooth will leave a gap and the teeth will start to shift. You'll lose bone in the area as well.

So you'll have to end up getting an implant anyway and implants are not as powerful as a natural tooth.

I'll take 100 root canals before I ever get a tooth extraction again. A root canal is saving your tooth. A tooth extraction is setting yourself up for expensive dental work down the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health