Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:08 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladee View Post
I am going to try this. I have had dental pain for the last 6 months and the dentists cant figure out what is wrong.. hopefully this will help. 20 minutes of swishing seems like a long time, but worth a try
Hello all. I have never heard of this treatment, but I know mysterious dental pain could be the result of brushing too hard at a particular location too often. That happened to me some years ago and my dentist couldn't figure it out. Finally I realized what had happened and paid more attention to not creating damage at the gum line. No prob since then. Could this be happening to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I read up on it and they do say some are better than others but you know one size doesn't fit all. I used what I already had in my home so no extra expense for me. And I am like you, I NEVER had a dentist recommend oil pulling or the toothbrush or NPO nylon floss because my teeth are close together. I would complain to them I couldn't get the regular floss between my teeth but they had no suggesyions.

My teeth are also close together and my dentist recommended a floss called "Glide." Oral B makes it and I find it's a good product. I like the mint flavored kind.

Oh, one question: How is it that an oil mixture can whiten teeth???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post

You swish anything in your mouth for 20 minutes, and your teeth will be much cleaner. Mechanical action of the liquid and all.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:30 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,730,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
It removes plaque from the teeth. The bacteria and plaque cling to the oil, after you swish it around for 20 minutes or so (I recommend cold pressed coconut or extra virgin olive oil) you will see that the oil is a milky white, this is all the bacteria and plaque coming out. Your mouth will feel super clean afterwards and your teeth will be really smooth.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:34 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've never had a dentist recommend it and I had never heard of it except here on CD. I tried it last night though with coconut oil while I was washing the dishes. It wasn't hard to do. I wonder if some oils are supposed to be better than others (I'm skeptical of all this coconut oil hype but had some on hand because a recipe called for it.)
If you asked your dentist about it they would most likely say it was a good procedure, they won't deny it even though it takes money away from their business. I use extra virgin cold pressed olive oil (a lot on the market aren't legit, California Ranch and Kirkland the Costco brand are 100% legit). I haven't tried it with coconut oil, but I definitely would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
MJ7, there are those who would shot themselves down if they could...or maybe they do. Tickuoff didn't even try it and already negating it. They don't have to do it for a month...try just a week and see and feel the difference...it's just oil you cook with so what harm could it do for them to just try it.

The technique has been around for 3000 years and the toothbrush has been around for 60 yrs developed by a doctor who did research on himself after a dentist told he needed his teeth removed because of gum disease. But he refused to and experimented on himself and saved his own teeth. Is that not enough research for people or does it have to be done by FDA 'approved" science team to be valid...come on people...THINK!
Yes you are correct, some days I just do the oil pulling and do not touch my toothbrush, I feel like my gums enjoy it more because it's gentle and not rough.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
You swish anything in your mouth for 20 minutes, and your teeth will be much cleaner. Mechanical action of the liquid and all.
Ok. But my toothbrush, paste and mouthwash would do the same. Also a swish of water can clear out crumbs or whatever. Are you saying that oil does it better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It removes plaque from the teeth. The bacteria and plaque cling to the oil, after you swish it around for 20 minutes or so (I recommend cold pressed coconut or extra virgin olive oil) you will see that the oil is a milky white, this is all the bacteria and plaque coming out. Your mouth will feel super clean afterwards and your teeth will be really smooth.
I guess the question is the same: Oil works better?

Thanks for the recommendation for which kinds of oil. I'm curious about this and might try it!

Old 06-27-2014, 12:36 PM

No. It's the same. Oil isn't better than a toothbrush and toothbrush isn't better than the oil. They both work in relatively the same manner by mechanically removing plaque from the teeth.

I've been avoiding giving my opinion on this topic because quite frankly, as a Dental Hygienist I'd rather see people be interested in taking care of their teeth than not, but doing oil pulling only isn't what I would recommend. I have no issues with oil pulling, I think it's a great *adjunct* to brushing and flossing. There are minimal studies that have examined the benefit and while the studies have concluded that it does remove bacteria plaque, so does toothbrushing and flossing.
The claims that it's "pulling" toxins from the blood and curing random ailments is dubious at best.

However, if people are using this along with brushing and flossing (I'm sorry but flossing is still the gold standard for keeping your gums healthy) and seeing healthier gums and teeth and their dental professionals are happy with the results, then great!

If you have periodontal disease and think oil pulling for 20 minutes a day only is going to save your teeth, then I wish you luck because I just don't see the science bearing that out.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 PM
MJ7

Quote:
No. It's the same. Oil isn't better than a toothbrush and toothbrush isn't better than the oil. They both work in relatively the same manner by mechanically removing plaque from the teeth.

I've been avoiding giving my opinion on this topic because quite frankly, as a Dental Hygienist I'd rather see people be interested in taking care of their teeth than not, but doing oil pulling only isn't what I would recommend. I have no issues with oil pulling, I think it's a great *adjunct* to brushing and flossing. There are minimal studies that have examined the benefit and while the studies have concluded that it does remove bacteria plaque, so does toothbrushing and flossing.
The claims that it's "pulling" toxins from the blood and curing random ailments is dubious at best.

However, if people are using this along with brushing and flossing (I'm sorry but flossing is still the gold standard for keeping your gums healthy) and seeing healthier gums and teeth and their dental professionals are happy with the results, then great!

If you have periodontal disease and think oil pulling for 20 minutes a day only is going to save your teeth, then I wish you luck because I just don't see the science bearing that out.
There are plenty of people that suffer from exposure to fluoride and SLS that is throughout dental products. Brushing can also lead to bleeding gums for those that have sensitive mouth tissue.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:45 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,866 times
I do oil pulling with coconut oil because I like the taste. Couldn't fathom putting olive oil in my mouth. Ick.

I have genetically poor teeth in my family and a few problems caused by poor hygiene when I was much younger. After oil pulling for a while, I have zero pain and smooth, whiter teeth.

Oil pulling pushes the oil - which encapsulates bacteria and suffocates it basically and debris etc. - around and between teeth and up into the gum line (moisturizes the gum tissue too) which makes it better than just brushing or just using mouthwash in my opinion. It's more vigorous because the liquid is thick.

I brush my teeth regularly afterward.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
There are plenty of people that suffer from exposure to fluoride and SLS that is throughout dental products. Brushing can also lead to bleeding gums for those that have sensitive mouth tissue.
If you are brushing the proper way on a regular basis with a soft bristled toothbrush then your gums shouldn't bleed. Period. Gum bleeding is a sign of infection of the gums. As to SLS if someone is truly sensitive to it, then seek out a toothpaste without it. Tom's of Maine has some.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:50 PM
MJ7

Quote:
If you are brushing the proper way on a regular basis with a soft bristled toothbrush then your gums shouldn't bleed. Period. Gum bleeding is a sign of infection of the gums. As to SLS if someone is truly sensitive to it, then seek out a toothpaste without it. Tom's of Maine has some.
There are cities now that are banning fluoride from water. I understand that fluoride is great for the teeth, but do we need to ingest it? People have bad reactions to fluoride and the mouth is one of the best ways you can absorb things, right under the tongue, it is the first step in the digestive process, straight into the blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health