Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 PM

34 posts, read 144,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmcsherry View Post
Any luck out there?

I am experiencing a pinching feeling as well along side the upper gums (palate side) whenever I speak. This has been ongoing for almost a year. It started with a sore scratchiness in the back of my mouth whenever I speak and since August of 2014 has been affecting the gums. I feel it when I speak, and like most of you, the pain subsides when eating. I have seen dentists, ENT's, a gastroenterologist, had blood/allergy work done and all showed nothing of concern. My next step is to see a neurologist. At this point I am pretty hopeless though. Are your symptoms like mine, when speaking? Thank you.

-Ryan
Hi Ryan,

My neuropathy is the result of nerve damage cause from a frenectomy surgery. Basically the dentist cut up my gums and now they are permanently damaged which causes the discomfort to fire randomly.

What is the cause of your pain? Have you had a surgery or any treatment done or was this out of the blue?

I saw neurologists at UCSD here in San Diego and all they did was prescribe me Neurontin, a pain killer, and they weren't able to identify the cause or treat the real problem. I have decided not take the Neurontin because I want to treat the real issue, not mask it.

There are a lot of different things to try out there that may help so don't get hopeless. It just takes a lot of work and research but to relieve symptoms it will be worth it. At the very least you'll know much more about your situation by experimenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 08:06 PM

QuestOfTruth,

I haven't tried any of the supplements you mentioned yet but I'm now ready to pull the trigger! I'd really appreciate it if you could look over my list and give me any tips or recommendations for each product, as well as links to products that you have used yourself with success.

here's a quick wrap up of all the things you've mentioned:

1) Christopher's Original Formulas, Complete Tissue & Bone Massage Oil, 4 fl oz (118 ml) - Christopher's Original Formulas, Complete Tissue & Bone Massage Oil, 4 fl oz (118 ml) - iHerb.com

2) Herb Pharm Comfrey Extract, 1 Oz - Herb Pharm Comfrey Extract, 1 Oz: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

3) Redmond Earthpaste, Wintergreen, 4 Ounce - http://www.amazon.com/Redmond-Earthp...rds=earthpaste

4) BLUE ICEâ„¢ Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend - Butter/Cod Liver Blend - Green Pasture

5) JAWCERCISERâ„¢ - Jawcerciser

6) Natures Way Alive Calcium Bone Formula'. - Alive! Calcium / 120 Tabs - Nature's Way®.

7) 'Now Foods Digest Ultimate' - Digest Ultimate

5) I'm going to look into bone broth for periodontal issues

Question for #4 - Does the Blue Ice include all the vitamins you talked about in the thread a while ago "The main ones required are vitamin A, D, E, calcium and K2 but standard Cod liver oils after deodorization and processing have none left other than the Omegas."? In other words, is it a catch all supplement?

Can you talk a little bit more about #6 and #7? (Natures Way Alive Calcium Bone Formula' and 'Now Foods Digest Ultimate)

Do you consumer bone broth regularly now?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestOfTruth View Post

The specific brands of products I used were as follows:

Green Pastures Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend Gel.
QuestOfTruth,

I haven't tried any of the supplements you mentioned yet but I'm now ready to pull the trigger! I'd really appreciate it if you could look over my list and give me any tips or recommendations for each product, as well as links to products that you have used yourself with success.

1) Christopher's Original Formulas, Complete Tissue & Bone Massage Oil, 4 fl oz (118 ml) - Christopher's Original Formulas, Complete Tissue & Bone Massage Oil, 4 fl oz (118 ml) - iHerb.com

2) Herb Pharm Comfrey Extract, 1 Oz - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...&redirect=true

3) Redmond Earthpaste, Wintergreen, 4 Ounce - Amazon.com: Redmond Earthpaste, Wintergreen, 4 Ounce: Health & Personal Care

4) BLUE ICE™ Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend - Butter/Cod Liver Blend - Green Pasture

5) JAWCERCISER™ - Jawcerciser

6) Natures Way Alive Calcium Bone Formula'. - Alive! Calcium / 120 Tabs - Nature's Way®.

8) I'm going to look into bone broth for periodontal issues

Question for #4 - Does the Blue Ice include all the vitamins you talked about in the thread a while ago "The main ones required are vitamin A, D, E, calcium and K2 but standard Cod liver oils after deodorization and processing have none left other than the Omegas."? In other words, is it a catch all supplement?

Can you talk a little bit more about #6 and #7? (Natures Way Alive Calcium Bone Formula' and 'Now Foods Digest Ultimate)

WIll I just rub/apply the Blue Ice and Comfrey Extract to my gums where the neuropathy is?

Do you consume bone broth regularly now? What effect have you noticed?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 PM

708 posts, read 823,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymouthhurts View Post
A typical day for me on the Paleo diet is as follows (all organic):
1) 6 egg scramble with mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and onion (with my 100% ceramic pot and wooden spoon to avoid any metal leeching)
2) Chicken breast and spinach salad with tomatoes and avacado
3) Salmon fillet with cooked brocolli, tomatoes, onions, avacado and sweet potatoes
4) Lots of water (out of glass containers)
5) 1-2 organic Suja juices and or/ organic Kombuchas
6) A few pieces of dark chocolate candies before bed

------

Regarding toothpaste, after doing some research I found this link where Mama Natural talks about Earthpaste! I'm gonna purchase some today. Thanks for bringing glycerin to my attention!

Article on Earthpaste:
I Found the Toothpaste I've Been Searching For (A Review of Earthpaste) - Keeper of the Home
Your diet looks varied, healthy and balanced.

Ive tried Earthpaste before and like it a lot, but Ive discovered that my teeth only respond well to Arm & Hammer PeroxiCare which ironically contains fluoride and glycerin. It also contains baking soda and peroxide. I am still experimenting and learning so I may find another.

I have ordered Christopher's Original Formula, Herbal Tooth and Gum Powder, 2 oz. However, that is not the ''original'' formula because it used to contain comfrey root (an essential and contraversial ingredient). They removed it due to pressure from the FDA but that's another story

The other ingredients are still worthy of use so I will try it.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestOfTruth View Post
Ive discovered that my teeth only respond well to Arm & Hammer PeroxiCare which ironically contains fluoride and glycerin. It also contains baking soda and peroxide. I am still experimenting and learning so I may find another.
What do you mean your teeth only respond well to Arm and Hammer? Do they not respond well to Earthpaste?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
What do you mean your teeth only respond well to Arm and Hammer? Do they not respond well to Earthpaste?

My teeth felt a little sensitive after using Earth paste. It made me wonder whether small amounts of flouride may actually be beneficial. Years ago when I tried a natural toothpaste, I experienced similar after a few weeks. Some people reported sensitivity only when using the spearmint version though.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:48 PM

With Dental health, so far my theory is this. Keep the mouth at a healthy PH level (bicarbonate of soda, xylitol, mineral water, sea salt), provide a slight surplus of the raw materials the body needs for bone and tissue building (Collagen, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, K2, K, A, D, E, C), provide the resistance it needs to stimulate the salavary glands and bone structure (chewing tough foods or resins), provide the minerals the thyroid needs for good health (Iodine, selenium, magnesium, vitamin C, B2, B3) provide natural stimulants to acccelerate repair and building of gums, tissue and bones (Comfrey root), provide what the body needs for good digestion and recondition the mind to believe in the bodys healing abilities as we were born to.

There is a lot more to it than the above but that's a basic idea.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
And no matter how many supplements you take, and dietary changes you make, and hoops you go through to get balances of this that and the other thing...

you STILL need to brush your teeth twice a day, use floss or proxy brushes (or both), and see your dentist no less frequently than once a year for a general checkup and yearly professional cleaning.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
And no matter how many supplements you take, and dietary changes you make, and hoops you go through to get balances of this that and the other thing...

you STILL need to brush your teeth twice a day, use floss or proxy brushes (or both), and see your dentist no less frequently than once a year for a general checkup and yearly professional cleaning.

Agreed, brushing twice a day and seeing the Dentist and hygieniest on a regular basis is esential. Preferably one you trust and feel connected and / or comfortable with. There are also different types of floss you can use that have anti bacterial properties as well as good electronic toothbrushes. We've already discussed a few different types of toothpaste too.

Last edited by QuestOfTruth; 01-12-2015 at 08:23 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
QuestOfTruth,

2) Herb Pharm Comfrey Extract, 1 Oz - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...&redirect=true

3) Redmond Earthpaste, Wintergreen, 4 Ounce - Amazon.com: Redmond Earthpaste, Wintergreen, 4 Ounce: Health & Personal Care

4) BLUE ICE™ Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend - Butter/Cod Liver Blend - Green Pasture

5) JAWCERCISER™ - Jawcerciser

8) I'm going to look into bone broth for periodontal issues

WIll I just rub/apply the Blue Ice and Comfrey Extract to my gums where the neuropathy is?

Do you consume bone broth regularly now? What effect have you noticed?

The first supplement in relation to dental health that changed my entire way of thinking was Green Pastures fermented Cod Liver oil / high vitamin Butter oil blend. Bear in mind that many people cannot handle the taste (I recommend cinnamon tingle flavour) and some people either cannot keep it down or they repeat. This would be the only supplement I would try initially in your situation. Most take 1/2 teaspoon a day.

The high vitamin butter oil part of the blend contains arachidonic acid (AA) / an omega-6 fatty acid, Vitamin K2, E, CoQ enzymes and the fermented cod liver oil part of the blend contains Vitamin A, D, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and omega-3. There may be other unknown nutrients or co factors too, this is why the blend is considered the best.

I didn't notice any benefit from trying out the Natures Way Alive calcium, I probably have enough of that in my diet already. It looks like a good natural form of calcium compared to the carbonate forms though.

The Now Foods digest ultimate is in relation to the phytic acid contents in some foods that I eat and the impact of a more cooked / convenient diet has on general and dental health overall. It depends on your theory / philosophy. I think it is beneficial to assist the digestive system with enzymes for those of us who eat less foods that contain them. Phytic acids (found in grains and oats) reduces the amount of minerals we absorb (they bind to them) and can leave less for our dental / health hence the selecting of an enzyme that contains phytase. Phytic acid does have its benefits though.

I highly recommend you purchase the dental book I mentioned previously because it will give you a deeper understanding of why some of these supplements or theories are beneficial, or whether they are right for you or not. You might decide that none of them are for you or you might discover other things you want to try.

The jaw excerciser is something one can use if they feel they consume too many soft foods in the diet. Again, it depends on your philosophy and what you eat. I think that the jaw and teeth can't reach a better potential if our diets are too soft.

Comfrey is a new discovery for me, I'm still researching and learning. The FDA attempted to ban that herb in some countries but their report contradicts itself, clinical trials were bias and the herb has a lot of positive trials and accounts of benefits to the bone and tissues, especially healing, asissting with inflammation and repairing bone. It is important to study up on those and then decide what you think about them.

You can read a good discussion about Comfrey here. You can read the first review on Amazon where a customer talked about using the tincture to help concerning his receeding gums.

I don't consume bone broth, I just add a table spoon of Great Lakes Collagen hydrolysate to my shake every day (2x a day). Bone broth is much better but I went with the next best thing. Ive noticed more benefits with my hair and skin rather than dental health but it's early days.

I hope you find what Ive written useful. Some things may work, others may not. I'm of course not a Dentist, not a Doctor and I have no medical qualifications so bear in mind anything you try is at your own risk. I'm just sharing what has improved my dental or overall health. There is a lot more that can be explored though

Last edited by QuestOfTruth; 01-13-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health