Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 PM

34 posts, read 144,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Listen to AnonChick, she is spot on as usual. I am a doctor and routinely have people come to my office with vague neurogenic symptoms and they list all 13 doctors they have already seen. They are ALWAYS shocked when I tell them "the more doctors you see, the less likely you are to find a fix." Patients come to me because I am highly specialized in my field, but this also means that I know which problems can be fixed and which problems cannot be fixed. When someone has already seen a bunch of doctors who could not provide a solution, who am I to think I am smarter than they are? I get straight to the point and tell these patients there is no cure for their problem....if there was then I would be selling it to them. Some even get mad as if I don't want to help them. Next....
I never said I am smarter than the doctor's I've seen, nor are my neuropathy symptoms vague (did you see my chart?). I have just described that the ones I have seen are unable to diagnose, or treat the problem. This doesn't mean there isn't a solution, and I'm not going to give up. I will continue to seek out an answer. Many doctors and dentists are incompetent or unable to diagnose an issue that doesn't have published solutions. I'll continue to seek out as many opinions as possible to form the most effective solution. However, there may not be a solution (other than surgical revision which carries a lot of risk).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:03 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
Thank you for illustrating my point.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Thank you for illustrating my point.
Thanks for joining the conversation.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 7,505 times
Hi I have a similar situation.

Had a gum graft at 17 in April 2010. Never felt the same afterwards, but I bought a bad toothbrush which led to the front 2 teeth receding and was forced to get the surgery.

6 months later, I get squishy noises in my ear when I open my jaw. That leads to a severe TMJ popping case, I go to a TMJ doc (Jan 2011), but he offers an expensive splint and little hope.

Turns out I do have a malocclusion class 3, but I wasn't going to waste my time with the TMJ doc. I tried a few conservative methods to relieve the pain, and they do help. But it's a tough battle.

I ignore it for 2 more years before realizing it's not getting better, I had to stop doing school and such.

Now I'm going to see a TMJ Surgeon in St.Louis to talk about this problem.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryname View Post

Had a gum graft at 17 in April 2010. Never felt the same afterwards, but I bought a bad toothbrush which led to the front 2 teeth receding and was forced to get the surgery.

6 months later, I get squishy noises in my ear when I open my jaw. That leads to a severe TMJ popping case, I go to a TMJ doc (Jan 2011), but he offers an expensive splint and little hope.

Turns out I do have a malocclusion class 3, but I wasn't going to waste my time with the TMJ doc. I tried a few conservative methods to relieve the pain, and they do help. But it's a tough battle.

I ignore it for 2 more years before realizing it's not getting better, I had to stop doing school and such.

Hi!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I struggle with nerve damage pain from my frenectomy/gum graft 24/7.

How did you find the TMJ Surgeon in St. Louis?

Also, how do you think your gum graft is related to your TMJ?

Please keep me posted and let me know if you'd like to chat on the phone. I'm sure we could help eachother out.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:

A bad toothbrush won't cause gum recession. Misuse of a toothbrush might, over time. Also, a gum graft and recession over the front teeth won't cause TMJ problems six months later.

What you're describing are a series of unrelated issues that have your mouth as the common factor.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,505 times
Hey! Thanks for the responses.

To @AnonChick, Yes a toothbrush did cause this gum recession. The TMJ may not have been caused directly by the graft, but multiple surgeries can provoke TMJ in potential patients.

To @mymouthhurts, I've been to a couple TMJ doctors over the past years. Most of them sell expensive splints that don't work. I never bought one. I live near Chicago, but I went to a doctor in Naperville who recommended osfinstitute in St.Louis.

I just feel like some unconscious pain/tension might be radiating from my gum graft. I'm probably making it up, but I'd love to know if this problem would have started if I didn't get the gum graft.

Describe your pain from your gum graft? I'm not in pain, I just feel that ball of hard gum sitting down at the bottom of my teeth. From googling this problem, no one seems to have issues after the gum graft like mine.

Sometimes there could be some trigeminal neuralgia nerve damage, but you would know if you feel that everyday.

I posted my picture on here Bad Toothbrush Led to Front Gum Graft & TMJ. Peru, IL - Gingival Graft review - RealSelf

Old 09-17-2015, 05:03 PM

Hi temporaryname,

Yeah I have the same issue where I can feel the area that was grafted and it hurts/feels weird 24/7.

It's pretty terrible so I feel your pain. I have yet to make any progress on a solution. Please let me know if you do. At this point after trying low level laster therapy, accupuncture, yoga, organic paleo diet, juicing, orthotic to perfect bite, and TMJ shock treatments, nothing has worked so I think the next step is to do a revision surgery.

Does anyone here have any advice regarding a revision surgery? The idea would be that the frenectomy surgery did nerve damage because it didn't heal properly so doing it again might allow the nerves to heal properly and fix the problem. I am in pain all the time so I don't see how it could get any worse, but it MIGHT get worse which would be unbearable (it's already pretty bad so I can't imagine it getting worse).

Thoughts?

Quote:
Hey! Thanks for the responses.

To @AnonChick, Yes a toothbrush did cause this gum recession. The TMJ may not have been caused directly by the graft, but multiple surgeries can provoke TMJ in potential patients.

To @mymouthhurts, I've been to a couple TMJ doctors over the past years. Most of them sell expensive splints that don't work. I never bought one. I live near Chicago, but I went to a doctor in Naperville who recommended osfinstitute in St.Louis.

I just feel like some unconscious pain/tension might be radiating from my gum graft. I'm probably making it up, but I'd love to know if this problem would have started if I didn't get the gum graft.

Describe your pain from your gum graft? I'm not in pain, I just feel that ball of hard gum sitting down at the bottom of my teeth. From googling this problem, no one seems to have issues after the gum graft like mine.

Sometimes there could be some trigeminal neuralgia nerve damage, but you would know if you feel that everyday.

I posted my picture on here Bad Toothbrush Led to Front Gum Graft & TMJ. Peru, IL - Gingival Graft review - RealSelf

Old 09-18-2015, 05:20 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Micro surgeries rarely offer much relief and do indeed makes things worse at times. Making matters worse, at the local dental school near me they have a reputation of performing a lot of unnecessary micro surgeries for the money.

So my advice is to probably not go through with it.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:15 AM

Hi Blazer Prophet,

Thanks for your insight. What exactly is a micro surgery and what data/experience are you going off of to say that that it is more likely to make things worse than better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Micro surgeries rarely offer much relief and do indeed makes things worse at times. Making matters worse, at the local dental school near me they have a reputation of performing a lot of unnecessary micro surgeries for the money.

So my advice is to probably not go through with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health