Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:08 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,539,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymouthhurts View Post
Hi Blazer Prophet,

Thanks for your insight. What exactly is a micro surgery and what data/experience are you going off of to say that that it is more likely to make things worse than better?
A micro surgery with respect to the oral cavity involves the nerves. For example, if a patient has a needle stick parasthesia (numbness) there is nothing micro surgery can do. But if a nerve is transected, in whole or part, then it can be reattached and sometimes the patient gets some relief (never all) and sometimes not and sometimes makes it worse.

Like you, I had a frenectomy and had most the floor of my mouth removed. I was having a ton of pain well past the healing timeframe. I considered micro surgery, but opted against it. Fortunately I eventually healed for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,499 times
Have you tried just icing it everyday? My TMJ does best when I don't chew things, but I feel great if I also ice the area once a day.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 7,499 times
Update: I see in the past 2 years the new "pinhole" surgery has developed as the better alternative to gum grafting. I'm going to go talk to another periodontist who offers this for a second opinion on my original surgery.

I also bought some oral numbing gel from the drug store to see if that helps with any symptoms. So far it feels good.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:40 PM

34 posts, read 144,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
A micro surgery with respect to the oral cavity involves the nerves. For example, if a patient has a needle stick parasthesia (numbness) there is nothing micro surgery can do. But if a nerve is transected, in whole or part, then it can be reattached and sometimes the patient gets some relief (never all) and sometimes not and sometimes makes it worse.

Like you, I had a frenectomy and had most the floor of my mouth removed. I was having a ton of pain well past the healing timeframe. I considered micro surgery, but opted against it. Fortunately I eventually healed for the most part.
How long did it take to "heal for the most part"?

I am going on 4 years of pain and discomfort (neuropathy) 24/7 in my lower front gums.

I just saw a doctor in San Diego who is injecting numbing anesthesia to the area over 5 sessions to see what the interaction with the neuropathy is and if it's possible to mask it at all.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryname View Post
Have you tried just icing it everyday? My TMJ does best when I don't chew things, but I feel great if I also ice the area once a day.
I suppose I could try icing my lower front gums to see if that makes a difference.

Where are you placing the ice exactly?

My problem is not really TMJ, it's a nerve issue in my lower front gums.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:18 PM

350 posts, read 415,723 times
mymouthhurts, sorry to hear of your pain. I don't have any advice as to your particular situation but empathize with your pain and frustration at finding relief.

I've been in dental waiting rooms where patients are talking about the numbness that they have in their lower lip after an implant was placed, another person felt like their gums were on fire once again after an implant.

The only advice I would have is not to tell other dentists that you've been to dozens of dentists seeking a solution to your problem. They are probably going to consider you a potential problem patient, worse yet a lawsuit in the making patient, or no money here patient. Also, be aware of cascading treatments - one "fix" leads to another problem which leads to another "fix".

Best of luck to you. If I find anything I'll post it.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
mymouthhurts, sorry to hear of your pain. I don't have any advice as to your particular situation but empathize with your pain and frustration at finding relief.

I've been in dental waiting rooms where patients are talking about the numbness that they have in their lower lip after an implant was placed, another person felt like their gums were on fire once again after an implant.

The only advice I would have is not to tell other dentists that you've been to dozens of dentists seeking a solution to your problem. They are probably going to consider you a potential problem patient, worse yet a lawsuit in the making patient, or no money here patient. Also, be aware of cascading treatments - one "fix" leads to another problem which leads to another "fix".

Best of luck to you. If I find anything I'll post it.
Thank you for the kind words echo99. At this point I feel that the only possible solution will be a revision surgery but I am terrified that it might make things worse. However, it may be worth the risk to make things better.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:49 AM

Mymouthhurts:

If you are able, you might want to look into the Johns Hopkins facial pain center (Our Center).

Old 12-04-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
Mymouthhurts:

If you are able, you might want to look into the Johns Hopkins facial pain center (Our Center).
Hi echo99, thanks so much for the suggestion, I will definitely check out the John Hopkins facial pain center!

Old 12-08-2015, 06:59 AM

Many years ago they did some fantastic work. People came from all over the world with an un-diagnosed source of pain which they resolved in many cases. Most people had been told by doctors that it was all in their head - NOT! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health