Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:28 PM

143 posts, read 540,979 times

Advertisements

Hello - I had a deep cavity in my back molar that was causing sensitivity to sweets, hot food, and cold food. About 6 weeks ago, the dentist drilled out the decay, put a layer of medicine in the tooth, and put a composit filling on top of it. Everything has been great for the past 6 weeks - no pain, sensitivity, or discomfort . . . until about 4 days ago. The tooth has a very low, dull ache. Hot and cold foods cause more discomfort than before I had the filling. My symptoms have increased over the past 4 days. I also developed a slight earache.

I can't get to my dentist for another 4 days (I am away on business). Does anyone have any experience of a filling suddenly becoming uncomfortable after 6 weeks? Is it possible my dentist didn't get all the decay out (that would be really lame)? Is a root canal inevitable (God I hope not)?

Any advice would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 07:42 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,962,161 times
I would guess you have an abcessed tooth and need a root canal.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:34 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,860,159 times
Definitely go back to your dentist.

If you do need a root canal it's no big deal these days. The dentist I went to had it all computerized, very quick & easy. Big difference from decades ago !

I felt great right after it was done, all disccomfort gone.

The only painful part was paying for the root canal. LOL

Another possibility is that something is infected. The earache could indicate an infection, or be shooting pain coming from the tooth. You'll need your dentist to figure it all out.

Any chance you might have a sinus infection? That often causes pain / pressure that can feel like a toothache & could also cause the ear ache

Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,427,282 times
If you're still out of town, call your dentist and describe your symptoms. He should be willing to prescribe some antibiotics to a drugstore near you. He wouldn't want you to risk an infection that continues unchecked, delaying dental work when you return.

Depending on where you're currently at, your dentist may also be able to call you in some pain meds. but that can be problematic over state lines. Check out a local drugstore, there are a lot of over-the-counter remedies for dental pain, ask the pharmacist.

Also, rinse about every hour with warm water and salt. Our family dentist recommended this years ago. It really helps flush out infectious matter and decrease the swelling. Another home remedy---get a plain--not coated--asprin, slightly dampen, and hold against the sore tooth.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,786,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
..... Another home remedy---get a plain--not coated--asprin, slightly dampen, and hold against the sore tooth.

Good luck!
Then prepare for the aspirin burn:

Dental MythBuster #5: Placing Aspirin on a Tooth Cures Toothache Pain.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:51 PM

143 posts, read 540,979 times
I am the OP. Thanks for the info everyone. I got a root canal today. No abscess so that was good. It turns out I had a low grade infection under the filling that worked its way into the pulp. I am glad it is all over (hopefully).

Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,786,729 times
That's great news.... it sounds like things were hopefully taken care of before it erupted into something bigger.....which often means more invasive, more expensive, and less predictable.

PLEASE ask your dentist if you need a crown on this tooth. The most common reason a tooth with a root canal needs to be removed is because the patient never got the crown done. What generally happens is the root canal takes away all the symptoms/pain/problems, so the patient doesn't bother finishing the treatment since it no longer hurts. But a root canal is NOT completed until the crown is placed. There are very rare occasions when a crown is not needed. Then the patient shows up at the dentist saying "the root canal didn't work" when it was actually the patient's self-neglect that is at fault. But they somehow always try to place the blame on the dentist.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:00 PM

8 posts, read 69,572 times
This is a tipical case of irreversible pulpitis (inflammation). Initial sedative filing was ok,served as a temporary relieve,but the process (inflammation) is chronic.Root canal is the treatment of choice.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 70,422 times
I am having some issues with a tooth that was filled 6 weeks ago. It is not sensitive to heat at all. Very little sensitivity to cold. It has decreased over time. My tooth feels sore. Biting on it really doesnt hurt. I have not lost any sleep. In fact it feels better in the morning after sleep.floride tooth paste helps with the soreness. Is it normal to have soreness after a big filling? Any help is appreciated!

Old 12-08-2015, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 70,422 times
I had a deep filling 6 weeks ago. At first it was very sensitive to cold. That has almost completely gone away. I have never been sensitive to heat. My tooth feels sore. It doesnt hurt if it is tapped by a pen. I can chew without pain. The soreness hasnt kept me up at night. I have not tried ineprofen to help with soreness. Its subtle. I have some prescription fluride toothpaste and it really helps. In fact it is rarely sore in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health