U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 02:37 PM

5,441 posts, read 6,808,381 times

Advertisements

If a person has the option of having either an onlay done, versus having a crown, which one is usually the better/safer/most durable default option? Personally as a dental patient, I have always thought that an onlay might be the best treatment of first resort for me, just because the procedure is less invasive and can save as much of the original tooth as possible. A crown on the other hand, is more invasive and takes away much more if not all of the original tooth. I am aware that in some cases, onlays can be a slightly more expensive treatment option vs. a crown done on the same tooth.

A family member insists that crowns are the best way to go, whereas I tend to err on the side of onlays, unless otherwise required. However, I found out kinda the hard way that when an onlay I had done some years ago got a crack in it and required a crown to be able to fix, that my dental insurance would not cover the cost of the corrective crown because a full 5 years had not yet elapsed between when the onlay was originally put in and adding the replacement crown. In this case, would it have just been better for me to go with a crown from the beginning, and skip the onlay entirely? Any advice anyone could please offer on this would be deeply appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 AM

497 posts, read 2,298,487 times
Onlay is typically more conservative as some onlays do not replace all cusps of a tooth. The question that needs to be asked is if an onlay is done, how strong is the rest of that tooth that is not covered by the onlay and what risk factors does the patient have in causing a failure down the road (e.g. night time grinding, heavy bite, love for corn nuts, etc.)? Pricewise they are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health