U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:24 PM

111 posts, read 172,021 times

Advertisements

I had a tooth root canaled and crowned. The tooth was very sensitive prior to the root canal, pretty sensitive for few weeks after root canal. Now, it isn't really sensitive per-se, but I feel pressure biting down on it. And at times, it's a bit sensitive when i blast in some cold water around the tooth with my waterpik. Is the root canal failed and needs to be redone? The dentist - I don't think they were really great to be honest, and I'm not sure I trust them to go back in. I'm pretty sure they'll take an xray and say they don't see an infection and just refuse to do anything about it. I've read some things about a ligament? Very confused - any help appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,690,236 times
Root canals basically eliminate the nerve in the tooth that causes pain in the tooth. Still the tooth can decay at gum line and the gums can cause pain as they have their own nerves. Sure it not another tooth causing the pain nearby.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:26 PM

Thank-you. I am pretty sure it is that tooth. When i floss on either side of it, I feel pressure as I push up against the tooth. Like I say - it's not necessarily causing me any pain - but I feel pressure when I push on it, bite down on it, etc., Every once in a while, it seems a bit sensitive to cold (never heat). Just not sure - maybe a bit of nerve missed? Or is this just what all root canaled teeth like? This is my only one, so I honestly am not sure.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:07 AM

26 posts, read 87,771 times
Usually, root canal is the type of treatment used for treating an infected or a decayed teeth. It is really a good treatment procedure for permanent fixing of issues.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 AM

15,719 posts, read 14,343,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothelight View Post
Thank-you. I am pretty sure it is that tooth. When i floss on either side of it, I feel pressure as I push up against the tooth. Like I say - it's not necessarily causing me any pain - but I feel pressure when I push on it, bite down on it, etc., Every once in a while, it seems a bit sensitive to cold (never heat). Just not sure - maybe a bit of nerve missed? Or is this just what all root canaled teeth like? This is my only one, so I honestly am not sure.
I have 2 root canals. One....I cannot even remember for sure which tooth it was, the other, sounds a lot like yours.

It is the second molar from the back, on the bottom. It is sensitive to cold and sometimes it feels congested or swollen if I accidently bite on something too hard, like a stalk of celery or a raw carrot.

My dentist has checked it and x-rayed it and can find nothing wrong.

I asked if one of the roots could have a small crack.....he said maybe that could be it but there is no way to tell for sure. There is no way to fix a cracked root, just extraction if it is bad enough.

He suggested I use Sensodyne Toothpaste for the sensitivity to cold and that has helped a lot even though the tooth is crowned.

It has been like this for years and years {10 or 15?, really can't remember} and I have had no further trouble with it.

However, I do avoid chewing hard things like raw carrots on that side of my mouth.....just in case the root does have a small crack, I don't want to make it worse and lose the tooth.

I am so used to it, I rarely even think about it. I would rather live with this very minor inconvenience than lose the tooth.

Just giving you my experience, not saying yours is the same.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:30 AM

Thank-you for that. That makes sense. I guess if it ever fails completely, I will just have to have an implant. Having a cracked root wouldn't have any implications for an implant?

Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 AM

129 posts, read 250,594 times
Well i wouldnt jump to conclusions since the tooth is cracked. it may be a simple fix, or not.

go see your dentist. saving the tooth is #1, but sometimes you need to think ahead, a root canal will work, but how long will it last?
an implant is a permanent solution. but they can fail, although its not very common for them to fail.

up front, price can play an important factor, but if that root canal gets revisited a few times, then the price can rack up.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Thank-you for that. That makes sense. I guess if it ever fails completely, I will just have to have an implant. Having a cracked root wouldn't have any implications for an implant?
If a tooth has a cracked root that is causing a lot of trouble, the only solution is to pull the tooth.

Once pulled, the tooth and its root are all gone, so it wouldn't have any impact on an implant at all.

Like I said, maybe there is a tiny crack in the root, or maybe there is a little bit of nerve left, who knows? There is no way for the dentist to know for sure.

If your dentist can't find anything wrong with the tooth that he can fix, it comes down to whether you want to live with it the way it is, or if you want to have it pulled and replaced with an implant or bridge.

And, I consider a root canal a permanent fix.....just as permanent as anything else, like a crown, filling, or implant.....in other words, strictly speaking, nothing a dentist does to your teeth is a 100% permanent fix, things can and do go wrong or just wear out.

My other root canal was done in 1995, I think, and has never bothered me at all. I do remember it was abscessed and my cheek was all swollen, so it was one of my top molars, but, for the life of me, I can't even remember which one! LOL

Old 10-22-2014, 12:24 AM

Thank-you for everybody's responses. I would think that if some of the nerve was missed, they would be able to see that with x-ray? Or could it be that root canal itself was what cracked the tooth?

Old 10-22-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Thank-you for everybody's responses. I would think that if some of the nerve was missed, they would be able to see that with x-ray? Or could it be that root canal itself was what cracked the tooth?
My dentist told me that they cannot always see a tiny crack in a root on an X-Ray. I think the root canal itself could crack a root, although I don't know for sure.

I don't think they can tell if a little piece of nerve tissue is left unless they open the tooth back up, I don't know for sure because I never asked.

Like I said, from what you describe, my one root canal tooth feels just like yours, pressure when I bite down on it, but only with hard things, and sensitive to cold water. If I bite really hard on something, sometimes it will feel swollen and even throb a little for a day or so......so I try to avoid doing that....and have become pretty darn good at it!

In my case, the dentist looked at the tooth, x-rayed it, and could see nothing wrong. I didn't push for him to do more than that because I am afraid anything invasive {like taking the crown back off to take a look} could end up making it worse or maybe even cause me to lose the tooth. The last thing I want to do is to put that tooth through even more trauma.....I choose to baby it a little and hope it lasts as long as I do.

If you don't trust your dentist, why not see an endodontist and see what he has to say?

They specialize in root canals so they could give you a clear picture of what is going on and what your options are.

And if you learn anything you think I should know, come back and tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or