Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times

Advertisements

Last Monday I visited a Dentist that was new to me, for the twice a year exam and cleaning. I told the Dentist she was hurting me somewhat with the Dental Instrument. She said she would ease up abit. I then had a very strange cleaning in 2 parts by 2 different employees. All of these people seemed very busy and not very knowledgeable. Yet there seemed to be only 2 patients in their rather large office. I was told I needed a tooth extracted that had broken before, and 3 Crowns. Otherwise my gums and dental health looked good. I said ok. I wanted to think about their recommendations. I then left the office and before the day was over I had a toothache, that grew so bad I developed an earache. The Dental Office then referred me to a an Endo Dentist, and he said I needed a root canal. I thought it strange I was fine when I went for the exam, and within the same day I have a massive toothache and suddenly need a root canal.

So I had the Root Canal done. The Dental Asst had a lot of problems doing Xrays. She said she had only been doing it for 2 weeks. She really hurt my gums with all the repeats she had to do. She seemed nervous and apologized for her lack of knowledge with the Xray procedures. I was told following the Root Canal that there would be some discomfort for a few days. However I was not prepared for this kind of pain that is much different that previous root canals I have had. This pain is so severe it is in my right cheek, my jaw in my ear and along the side of my head. I called the Dentist twice this weekend and the Dentist prescribed pain medicine that did not work, and then an antibiotic. Tonight the pain is even much worse and I called the office and had to leave a message. I want them to call immediately in the AM. That I am in so much pain I may go to the ER at a hospital. I don't know what to do, that this severity of pain is not normal by any means.

Has anyone been thru something like this? Again this doesn't seem to be normal pain following a root canal. It is absolutely excruciating and is nonstop pain. Like somewhat has taken a knife and slashed my gums and my face and ear.

I have a Primary Care visit at a Doctor's Office on Nov 4th, also a first visit for me, and I'm somewhat afraid to go now. I just don't seem to have much trust, in what I am seeing in some of the employees in Tucson. .
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 10:17 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,422 times
Not normal...go to the ER or get a personl recommendation for a better dentist.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:34 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
It's too bad you didn't go to another dentist for a 2nd opinion. I see a lot of red flags with this situation. Right now if you don't go to the ER then try some Tylenol or Aleve (Naproxen) for pain relief. These are over the counter purchases.
I've had several root canals and not the pain or inconvenience that you are experiencing. The last root canal I had a few years ago the minor pain lasted about 4 hours. I took Tylenol for that.
I'd suggest you see an experienced dentist ASAP for a re-examination to get some comfort relief.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Not what I have experienced.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:24 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
If you have infection around the root, you could have some discomfort until the infection is resolved. Go see someone! And don't forget...you will need to put a crown on that tooth, or it will eventually break...so get the crown!!!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do appreciate them. The Dentist called this morning. He wants to try another antibiotic. I'm on Amoxicillin now, I started that yesterday. The pain is bad again tonight. It seems to come in waves. I'm not sure this pain is just from an infection. I'm beginning to think there is another tooth, that has acted up besides the one that had the root canal. I'm going to have to call him tomorrow if this pain doesn't seem to be decreasing. I would have thought he would have told me to come in so he can look at it.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If you have infection around the root, you could have some discomfort until the infection is resolved. Go see someone! And don't forget...you will need to put a crown on that tooth, or it will eventually break...so get the crown!!!

This tooth already had a crown on it. It was put on less than 2 years ago.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:38 AM

360 posts, read 1,532,768 times
Exclamation My root canal disaster

I had a similar experience a few yrs ago - had never had a root canal. Went to a new dentist because I had shooting pain in tooth whenever I drank cold water. He sent me to endodontist who did root canal. Afterwards, I was in pain 24/7, throbbing gums, etc. Way worse than before root canal. Could not eat, etc. Endo said all was ok - wrong! - and several dentists could not figure out problem. Very long story short, took me 7 weeks to find an old, wise dentist who used a laser pen device, excavated the tooth, and filled a perforation (his term). Yes, I had the temporary packing in that long... everyone said not to have the permanent crown done until I was out of pain. 3 days later, I was pain free! My advice is to find an older, experienced dentist and keep searching for answers. Do not crown the tooth until you are pain free. You have my sympathy.
It is so hard to find a good dentist who cares.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
I had a similar experience a few yrs ago - had never had a root canal. Went to a new dentist because I had shooting pain in tooth whenever I drank cold water. He sent me to endodontist who did root canal. Afterwards, I was in pain 24/7, throbbing gums, etc. Way worse than before root canal. Could not eat, etc. Endo said all was ok - wrong! - and several dentists could not figure out problem. Very long story short, took me 7 weeks to find an old, wise dentist who used a laser pen device, excavated the tooth, and filled a perforation (his term). Yes, I had the temporary packing in that long... everyone said not to have the permanent crown done until I was out of pain. 3 days later, I was pain free! My advice is to find an older, experienced dentist and keep searching for answers. Do not crown the tooth until you are pain free. You have my sympathy.
It is so hard to find a good dentist who cares.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

That sounds horrible that you went thru that. Thankfully you found that older Dentist and he solved your problem. I'm doing much better now, the pain started to decrease yesterday. I guess the Antibiotics must have kicked in. I think I have found an older Dentist also. I plan on making an appointment with him, when this current problem is over with.

I hope that you, I or anyone never has to experience, such pain and difficulty finding a quality dentist again. If only life was like that, wouldn't that be great.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:02 AM

36 posts, read 111,289 times
Hi Jimrob1, finally if you started getting relief than its fine otherwise I would suggest you to consult to some other dentists. Because I have also gone through the same pain and got relief after revisiting dentist many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health