U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-29-2014, 12:55 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,919 posts, read 2,128,135 times
Reputation: 2450

Advertisements

On my last dentist visit they told me it was "time" to get X-rays. It seems like I just got them a year or so ago! Is this kind of like going to Jiffy Lube when they tell you to change your oil every 3,000 miles when in reality it's every 10,000 miles on new cars? How often should this be done? I'm 50.

I told them no. Lets put this off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2014, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
129 posts, read 250,594 times
Reputation: 119
well there are more factors than just "new car" when you want to change your oil every 10,000 miles.

its preventative maintenance.

if the dentist feels that they need to monitor you more frequently, then they will. maybe you have really bad teeth and things are happening that you dont know.

maybe you should ask the dentist these questions, not us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,919 posts, read 2,128,135 times
Reputation: 2450
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRunner View Post

maybe you should ask the dentist these questions, not us.
That's like asking Jiffy Lube if I should change my oil every 3,000 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2014, 09:48 PM
 
1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Reputation: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
On my last dentist visit they told me it was "time" to get X-rays. It seems like I just got them a year or so ago! Is this kind of like going to Jiffy Lube when they tell you to change your oil every 3,000 miles when in reality it's every 10,000 miles on new cars? How often should this be done? I'm 50.

I told them no. Lets put this off.
Lots can happen in a year. If you don't trust your dentist, then you should find another one. The problem is that most people on this forum don't trust their dentist or anyone else, yet they trust things that strangers tell them on the internet.

If you don't want xrays, then don't get them. But don't complain when the dentist will no longer take on the liability and refuse to see you, which is getting more and more common. I am a dentist and I refuse to care about a patient's teeth more than the patient cares about their own teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
129 posts, read 250,594 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
That's like asking Jiffy Lube if I should change my oil every 3,000 miles.
thats not true.
jiffy lube is one of the lowest of the lows when it comes to car maintenance and things like that.
now, if he's going to an untrained dentist that didnt goto dental school and said he did, then maybe.

id rather you compare a dentist to a stealership. since they're "trained" and "official".

like ^ said, if you dont trust them, you can always get a second opinion.

but go ahead, listen to internet forums and always blame the dentist, or other health professionals, for issues that you've caused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,919 posts, read 2,128,135 times
Reputation: 2450
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRunner View Post
thats not true.
jiffy lube is one of the lowest of the lows when it comes to car maintenance and things like that.
now, if he's going to an untrained dentist that didnt goto dental school and said he did, then maybe.

id rather you compare a dentist to a stealership. since they're "trained" and "official".

like ^ said, if you dont trust them, you can always get a second opinion.

but go ahead, listen to internet forums and always blame the dentist, or other health professionals, for issues that you've caused.
I'm saying there's an INHERENT conflict of interest with dentists, just as there is with lawyers (who are supposed to be fiduciaries), fee-based fiduciary investment advisers, car salesmen, etc, etc. I once went to a chiropractor who told me that I needed to keep getting spine adjustments for years, then went to another who told me that if the pain is gone then you're fine.

I was hoping someone could shed light on what is THE NORM as far as frequency of X-rays. My teeth are very healthy. No issues. I get them cleaned every 6 months.

Quote:
If you don't trust your dentist, then you should find another one. The problem is that most people on this forum don't trust their dentist or anyone else, yet they trust things that strangers tell them on the internet.
Again there's a conflict of interest. This office just spent a lot of money moving to a new office, upgrading equipment, etc. Do I trust them? I don't know. They seem nice, but you just never know.

Quote:
jiffy lube is one of the lowest of the lows when it comes to car maintenance and things like that.
Wrong. 60 Minutes did a story about this a long time ago. Their conclusion was to 1) change your oil every 6,000 miles or according to your owner's manual. Back then cars were supposed to have the oil changed every 6,000. Now it's every 10,000. Sounds like you work for Jiffy Lube or other oil lube place. I understand your bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 PM
 
595 posts, read 2,400,965 times
Reputation: 1214
The typical norm for radiographs is once per year (for healthy dental patients) at your dental exam. However, if you are at a higher risk for cavities then the Dentist might prescribe them to be taken more often. If you choose not to have the radiographs done, then the Dentist can choose not to see you. It's a pretty simple equation. You could have a cavity in a tooth that stays small for awhile OR it could blow up on you in as little as six months. Say you choose to forgo the radiographs for a couple of years. You then choose to go in for an exam and all of a sudden the Dentist is finding that your teeth have cavities and one of them is so big you now need a root canal and crown. What could have been a couple hundred bucks is now thousands and now you're blaming the Dentist for what could have been an avoidable issue. I see it all the time. It's about preventing the little things from going into bigger, more costly things. Not to mention that the radiographs help the dentist diagnose other issues like gum disease and cysts that can grow in your jaw. It's not just cavities they are looking for when they prescribe them.

Again, it's your choice to forgo them, but it's also the Dentist's choice to keep you on a patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,919 posts, read 2,128,135 times
Reputation: 2450
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
Again, it's your choice to forgo them, but it's also the Dentist's choice to keep you on a patient.
They had me sign something. Nobody is getting sued. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 10:42 PM
 
2,934 posts, read 4,663,627 times
Reputation: 2815
I see my dentist every 6 months for check-up, cleaning, etc.

X-rays every 2 years, unless the hygienist or dentist sees something suspicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,919 posts, read 2,128,135 times
Reputation: 2450
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
I see my dentist every 6 months for check-up, cleaning, etc.

X-rays every 2 years, unless the hygienist or dentist sees something suspicious.
Finally a post with some insight! 2 years. That will help with my informal survey of patients. You mind if I ask your age? I'm 50. What's right for me might not be right for younger people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top