U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 01:06 PM

1,437 posts, read 809,241 times

Advertisements

Dentist started replacing my amalgam/silver fillings with the white composite filling stuff. Says I need to have them all done over a period of time (their office will not use amalgam for fillings). Claims that amalgam fillings are "bad news" and can lead to many health issues over time and they are an ancient method for filling teeth that should be phased out.

I have dental ins. but then found out after procedure that they only cover the front top and bottom teeth at 100%....coverage then goes down depending on tooth so if it is an upper tooth in the back it may only be covered at 40% and I'm responsible for the difference.

So I get all of that insurance mumbo jumbo but I've talked to some acquaintances of mine who say their dentists also use composite when "re-filling" but don't charge them the difference and accept whatever the insurance co. pays out for the filling (at amalgam rates).

Anyone else have to deal with this or go dentist shopping because of them either refusing to use amalgam or charging the extra difference for it?? Or does your dentist accept whatever insurance pays out??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 12:23 AM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Dentist started replacing my amalgam/silver fillings with the white composite filling stuff. Says I need to have them all done over a period of time (their office will not use amalgam for fillings). Claims that amalgam fillings are "bad news" and can lead to many health issues over time and they are an ancient method for filling teeth that should be phased out.

I have dental ins. but then found out after procedure that they only cover the front top and bottom teeth at 100%....coverage then goes down depending on tooth so if it is an upper tooth in the back it may only be covered at 40% and I'm responsible for the difference.

So I get all of that insurance mumbo jumbo but I've talked to some acquaintances of mine who say their dentists also use composite when "re-filling" but don't charge them the difference and accept whatever the insurance co. pays out for the filling (at amalgam rates).

Anyone else have to deal with this or go dentist shopping because of them either refusing to use amalgam or charging the extra difference for it?? Or does your dentist accept whatever insurance pays out??
If a dentist is in-network with an insurance plan, not collecting copays or co-insurance is insurance fraud and you should think twice about having work done by someone with that level of ethics.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:18 PM

10,061 posts, read 18,072,833 times
I don't know if it's a scam or not but I will never let them near my mouth with mercury again. Amalgams are 50% mercury and the World Health Org has declared that amalgams need to be phased out. So, probably not a scam.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:11 AM

784 posts, read 1,257,553 times
My dentist only uses composite but has replaced my amalgam fillings on an as needed basis. He does not use amalgam because of the mercury in it. He is the kind of doctor that takes a strong interest in dental disease as it relates to other health issues. I trust him.

When they've been worn or loose, that's when he suggests replacing them. I have two amalgam fillings left, both on the right side. If I have to have one out, I'll have both done. The mercury in amalgam has been implicated in autoimmune thyroiditis, which I have. Mercury sensitive people should have them removed, I just don't know if I am "mercury sensitive." I suppose I should get tested and decide from there if the other fillings should be taken out.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:25 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Dentists make MUCH more money on composites than amalgams.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:34 PM

1,437 posts, read 809,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Dentists make MUCH more money on composites than amalgams.
Yeah, I know.....also the composites have a much shorter lifespan (less than 10 yrs) while there are reports of amalgams lasting 30 or 40 years.....but that doesn't help with the dentist's new car/boat/vacation home fund.

However, my original question was not really addressed.....I was asking if most people pay the increased cost/difference for the composites or does your dentists accept whatever the insurance co. pays for a respective filling (i.e.; not charge you the extra for composite over and above what he gets from ins.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or