U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 AM
 
7,693 posts, read 7,227,188 times
Reputation: 2803

Advertisements

I'm from China where many people have poor dental health, because they don't see a dentist until they get trouble.

However, it seems to me that American dentists don't like to save teeth. When I saw a dentist in America for the first time, I was suggested to remove a tooth immediately. I didn't like the idea and went to another one, and he did a root canal for me and it worked well.

Then I did another root canal on another tooth, and it failed after a few years and I got some infection. The dentist I saw also suggested me remove it. I really wanted to do another root canal but I was traveling to a foreign country and could not afford the time, so I removed it.

Now I have a cavity in a wisedom tooth. Again, the dentist suggested me remove it, though I actually use that tooth to chew.

In China, the last thing a dentist would tell you is to remove a tooth. However in America it is more common as a solution? Also it seems that most people have their wisedom teeth removed. We don't do that in China unless the wisedom teeth do not grow well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 PM
 
8,598 posts, read 5,218,770 times
Reputation: 22662
It depends on the dentist. If you don't like what yours is telling you, go see another one. My husband was told by one dentist that he needed a root canal; he got a second opinion and that dentist just put in a filling. It's been several years and he has had no more trouble with the tooth.

I would say generally American dentists prefer crowns and/or root canals to extractions. However, many many people have their wisdom teeth removed. I too wonder if it's a racket. It seems that when many of my friends' kids get to be 17 or 18, they have all their wisdom teeth out. But all of mine grew in and caused me no problems for many years. Eventually, one of them broke, and that is the only tooth I have ever had extracted. The dentist said they don't usually put crowns on wisdom teeth.

Also, sometimes people just have teeth extracted because root canals and crowns are quite expensive.

If you just have a simple cavity in a wisdom tooth, you should be able to get it filled. I have. Try another dentist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2014, 12:22 PM
 
7,344 posts, read 4,082,352 times
Reputation: 8224
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It depends on the dentist. If you don't like what yours is telling you, go see another one. My husband was told by one dentist that he needed a root canal; he got a second opinion and that dentist just put in a filling. It's been several years and he has had no more trouble with the tooth.

I would say generally American dentists prefer crowns and/or root canals to extractions. However, many many people have their wisdom teeth removed. I too wonder if it's a racket. It seems that when many of my friends' kids get to be 17 or 18, they have all their wisdom teeth out. But all of mine grew in and caused me no problems for many years. Eventually, one of them broke, and that is the only tooth I have ever had extracted. The dentist said they don't usually put crowns on wisdom teeth.

Also, sometimes people just have teeth extracted because root canals and crowns are quite expensive.

If you just have a simple cavity in a wisdom tooth, you should be able to get it filled. I have. Try another dentist.
Actually, quite the opposite. They push root canals even when you are 65+. You do know that eventually even root canals go bad after many years? At some point they will be need to be pulled. When you reach a certain age, I think it is silly to spend all that money on a root canal and crown. Pull them. BTW, my husband and daughter did not get wisdom teeth. Just not there. Genetic they were told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2014, 06:31 PM
 
832 posts, read 1,427,601 times
Reputation: 368
In my experience, they push more to keep a tooth. I had a dentist keep a tooth that really should have come out (cracked through to the bottom) and it caused a lot of pain, anxiety, and extra expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 05:58 PM
 
7,693 posts, read 7,227,188 times
Reputation: 2803
I will do a root canal a week later.
The waiting is annoying sometimes. In China you just go to the hospital early in the morning to a get ticket, and it is guaranteed you can be treated on the same day. But sometimes you have to wait for an hour or two and can't leave. In America, however, you have to make an appointment and usually it goes to two weeks later.

It is interesting that most hospitals in China have dentists, and there are also some specialized dental hospitals with a hundred dentists working together. There are no assistants and the dentists do all the work by themselves. In America, most dentists seem to work in small clinics. I guess the treatment is more personalized this way, but sometimes inconvenient for emergencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 06:13 PM
 
5,457 posts, read 11,610,915 times
Reputation: 13420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I will do a root canal a week later.
The waiting is annoying sometimes. In China you just go to the hospital early in the morning to a get ticket, and it is guaranteed you can be treated on the same day. But sometimes you have to wait for an hour or two and can't leave. In America, however, you have to make an appointment and usually it goes to two weeks later.

It is interesting that most hospitals in China have dentists, and there are also some specialized dental hospitals with a hundred dentists working together. There are no assistants and the dentists do all the work by themselves. In America, most dentists seem to work in small clinics. I guess the treatment is more personalized this way, but sometimes inconvenient for emergencies.
You mention in your first post that many people in China have poor dental health because they don't go to the dentist unless they have a problem

That is the "problem" right there, dental health needs to be addressed before there is a problem as it is done routinely in the US.

There are rarely dental "emergencies" if you are receiving regular dental care. You say it is interesting that most hospitals in China have dentists, I say it is unfortunate....points to the need for more preventative care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2014, 06:20 PM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 10,651,963 times
Reputation: 11756
Most dentists in America have privates offices or perhaps they share with one other dentist. I don't think most dentists work in small or large clinics and it would be more personalized if the dentist were in a private office. In a clinic a person wouldn't necessarily see the same dentist each time.

In America a telephone call is all it takes to make an appointment to see a dentist. When that appointment takes place depends on the dentist and how busy he/she is. I go to a dentist and usually get in the same week I call, unless it's an emergency and I'm seen much sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 01:17 PM
 
7,693 posts, read 7,227,188 times
Reputation: 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You mention in your first post that many people in China have poor dental health because they don't go to the dentist unless they have a problem

That is the "problem" right there, dental health needs to be addressed before there is a problem as it is done routinely in the US.

There are rarely dental "emergencies" if you are receiving regular dental care. You say it is interesting that most hospitals in China have dentists, I say it is unfortunate....points to the need for more preventative care
Yes, but I think these two issues are separate. You can still have large dental hospitals to do preventive care. The problem is many Chinese cannot afford it or are still not willing to afford it.
I have a dental insurance but I didn't use it for a whole year. Just some bad habits that stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 03:39 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
6,322 posts, read 5,074,000 times
Reputation: 9781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Actually, quite the opposite. They push root canals even when you are 65+. You do know that eventually even root canals go bad after many years? At some point they will be need to be pulled. When you reach a certain age, I think it is silly to spend all that money on a root canal and crown. Pull them. BTW, my husband and daughter did not get wisdom teeth. Just not there. Genetic they were told.
^ Is this ALWAYS true??!

I mean, i know RCs are a money making biz but DAMN!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I will do a root canal a week later.
The waiting is annoying sometimes. In China you just go to the hospital early in the morning to a get ticket, and it is guaranteed you can be treated on the same day. But sometimes you have to wait for an hour or two and can't leave. In America, however, you have to make an appointment and usually it goes to two weeks later. . . . .
^ I like this option much better. As long as i could be seen for non-emergencies on the same day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 06:38 AM
 
141 posts, read 182,955 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
^ Is this ALWAYS true??!

I mean, i know RCs are a money making biz but DAMN!

my root canal got re-infected just 4 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top