U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2014, 01:52 AM

5 posts, read 247,665 times

Advertisements

I had the last of my teeth (9 total) pulled on October 20, 2014. Since then I have not been able to eat anything but soft food because I have a prong (of gums) that hang down further than the rest of my gums so my gums don't meet at all. This prong, when it meets the bottom gum sends a shock of pain into the prong. I can chew a bit but because the gums don't meet...I have to swallow chunks. Having had a gastric bypass in 2009...putting chunks in my stomach just does not turn out good.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem after teeth extraction. I am due to get my gums imprinted for dentures on the 13th of January but I don't think that will happen.

Will I have to have oral surgery to get that prong (and maybe the one next to it also) ground or cut down to make them even so my gums will meet and I can chew...with or without the dentures?

I've looked online and can't find any questions about this particular problem.

I had the teeth extracted where I live in Western NY and then left on Nov. 3 to spend the holidays with my daughter and grandsons and there was no reason to call the dentist about this problem because there was nothing he could do being in western NY. I only have Medicare and NYS Medicaid and Medicare doesn't cover dental and I don't think NY Medicaid will cover a dentist in NJ. (Just explaining why I haven't gone back to the dentist).

Thanks to all who reply.

Helen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 PM

5,677 posts, read 3,999,846 times
What the dentist will do is a cast around your gums & after forever, okay it took 4 months because she made a cast each month. Rub your gums & it will help. I also used a product from the drugstore for tooth pain. Sorry I don't have a name. What I have is just called toothache kit from Walgreens.

My dentures weren't paid for either & I just had to save for them. Then once you get the dentures there will be more problems, especially with the bottoms, but my dentist adjusted them today & may have to do it again as gums change as they heal.

The payoff is; you get your smile back & that, to me, is worth everything.

Last edited by meo92953; 01-14-2015 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: hate spell check!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:26 PM

5,677 posts, read 3,999,846 times
I also should add that the reason for the casts is it will work with the gums and it's just like doing a plaster of Paris, it molds to how YOUR mouth is and they replicate what your mouth used to be and how your teeth fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health