U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 04:01 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,887,075 times

Advertisements

I had to fire my last dentist for incompetence. I had a good one before him, but his fees are now out of my reach, and were a bit of a pinch in the first place, and his hygenists did a lot of upselling. So in the process of looking for a new dentist, I tried calling different dental practices, and instead of getting a knowledgeable receptionist to answer basic questions about that office and its methods, I was surprised to get a hard sales pitch at most places I called, when it wasn't just some wet behind the ears receptionist who didn't know a damn thing about the office she worked at and acted really apathetic. How long has this use of sales reps for dental offices been going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 07:00 PM

6,322 posts, read 5,074,000 times
For at least the past decade as far as I can remember. The frustrating thing to me is that the hygienist (the one who cleans your teeth? ) books over a month out and I like to have my teeth cleaned before having any work done. But every time I call they ask me "if I'm having problems" which is trying to lead to a useless dentist office visit ASAP and the high $$ they get for that "service" even if nothing is done!

Yes I'm having a problem- my problem is that you need to hire another hygienist!!

Old 12-24-2014, 10:26 PM

No wonder dental fees have gone up, if they have to pay commission out to them. Back in my day, you called and that office's one receptionist answered. Nobody else. Not this, "First of all, I'd like to welcome you to our practice. When would you like to come in for an appointment?" etc., when I was only trying to get a quote and other info first before even deciding IF I'd even go to that office in the first place.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:28 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Jeezus christ you people, this is hilarious. Do your businesses not do marketing? What are your suggestions to market their services? What are your suggestions for them to increase their sales? Do you also gripe about the McDonald's drive-thru lady who asks if you want to add fries or a hot apple pie to your order? If something isn't wanted, simply say no and move on.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:21 AM

6,322 posts, read 5,074,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Jeezus christ you people, this is hilarious. Do your businesses not do marketing? What are your suggestions to market their services? What are your suggestions for them to increase their sales? Do you also gripe about the McDonald's drive-thru lady who asks if you want to add fries or a hot apple pie to your order? If something isn't wanted, simply say no and move on.
As a psychotherapist, i never tried to upsell. I expect it from food servers but I guess I just don't appreciate it when it comes to (professional) medical practices.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:31 PM

332 posts, read 684,827 times
Quote:
My suggestion to "increase your sales" and "market your services" is to always make your patient your number one concern, not your "business". Word of mouth and a good reputation will bring all the business you need.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
My suggestion to "increase your sales" and "market your services" is to always make your patient your number one concern, not your "business". Word of mouth and a good reputation will bring all the business you need.
I agree. Making patients aware of all the services available to improve their health or appearance IS putting the patient first. Again I ask what is the best way to make these services known? Straighten teeth without metallic braces, replace teeth with implants instead of removal dentures, whiten teeth with painless treatments...etc. People see these services advertised on TV and don't get upset, but on this forum people get upset when these services are advertised in a dental office.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 PM

332 posts, read 684,827 times
Quote:
I agree. Making patients aware of all the services available to improve their health or appearance IS putting the patient first. Again I ask what is the best way to make these services known? Straighten teeth without metallic braces, replace teeth with implants instead of removal dentures, whiten teeth with painless treatments...etc. People see these services advertised on TV and don't get upset, but on this forum people get upset when these services are advertised in a dental office.
By all means, let the consumer know what you have to offer. Its the high pressure sales tactics we object to. The "you need this or suffer the consequences" approach. I like it when an office has brochures describing what services are offered. If I have an interest I will ask. Regarding advertisements on tv, its not personal, so naturally we dont react defensively.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:39 PM

I agree there should not be pressure put on the patient. I just inform the patient of consequences and have them sign an informed refusal to protect myself. I am a big believer that patients get to choose their own healthcare. It's amazing how often patients come back 3 years later with a loose tooth and bone loss requiring the tooth to be removed, and they get angry saying "you should have treated this sooner." Reviewing the records from 3 years earlier clears everything up. Again, patients choose their own healthcare. I refuse to care about a tooth more than the patient does.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
It's just that I clearly remember a time before this. Ads were in print; in newspapers and the yellow pages. No need for sales reps for dentists. When you called the number for that place, you only spoke to a receptionist who'd answer your questions and/or schedule your appointments. You did not ever speak with some salesperson to go see a dentist.

And on another note, I definitely object to the practice of some places upselling when a patient is told at other dental offices that they have nice teeth, and they take good care of their teeth, but the other office tries to insist that they need a $400 root planing procedure. Increasing sales is one thing, but pushing unnecessary health procedures is crossing the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or