U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 12:53 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,984,925 times

Advertisements

My battery operated electric toothbrush needs replacement. I like the battery operated concept, nothing to recharge and and no huge base to take up bathroom space.

I see a wide selection of toothbrushes on amazon, but I really want a good brush that is compact and does not take up of space or parts.

Last time I was at the dentist I was told to use sensitive gums toothpaste. I am a smoker who drinks allot of coffee.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 01:38 PM

595 posts, read 2,472,688 times
Either Oral B or Sonicare would be my recommendation. Oral B has the round brush head that rotates side to side while sonicare has an ultrasonic type movement. Both do a great job and I can always tell who uses an electric toothbrush and who doesn't when I see my patients (I'm a hygienist). So, pick one of those, that fits your budget.

Can I ask, why you were told to use a sensitive gum toothpaste? Do you have tooth sensitivity?

Old 01-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Last time I went for a cleaning they said that I need deep cleaning and then I said I wanted to be heavily sedated simply because I don't like when people are in my mouth or in my hair. They asked if my teeth are sensitive, I said yes, just in case...

Trust me, a dental hygienist doing work on my teeth, will have have an easier time with me if I am heavily sedated

What do you think of this toothbrush compared to $60, rechargeable models ?
Amazon.com: Oral-B 3d White Action Power Toothbrush, 1 Count: Health & Personal Care

Like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Precision-3000-Rechargeable-Toothbrush/dp/B003UKKHB4/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1422213033&sr=1-2&keywords=battery+toothbrush

The one that is less expensive seems more practical me, for it's simplicity. It comes with a battery, once the battaery dies get a new brush.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:19 PM

31,381 posts, read 69,833,079 times
SonicCare "It's like oral sex"

Old 01-25-2015, 06:57 PM

Is that good or bad ?

Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 PM

12,602 posts, read 22,533,840 times
I'm getting ticked off at Sonicare - expensive to start with, first they eliminated the 30 second beeps - I've gone through a couple because I wanted the timer - they don't last too long, hold the charge for a shorter and shorter period of time. Don't know about OralB.

IMO - for what Sonicare charges for brushheads and the initial system, it should certainly last longer than it does!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:22 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,633,133 times
Mine is like five year old.My wife just a couple of years old. They do tho make cheaper models as do others like oral B. Often its like anything else using rechargeable batteries; the quality of battery and the maintenance of them. Cheaper likely has cheaper batteries since that is a high cost item.Alos their are non OEM head at much cheaper price that work as well.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:21 PM

595 posts, read 2,472,688 times
Ok so the first brush you linked to has claims it will whiten your teeth. Please take that with a grain of salt as that's a pretty out there claim. However, the price seems good since you will probably be replacing it in a month. If you don't mind spending $5 to $6 bucks every month on a new toothbrush, go for it.

The second one is the one I would buy. Reason being it's rechargeable. I don't see the point in purchasing batteries or a new brush all the time. It also doesn't seem like it would save money in the long run. The Oral B toothbrush I have, which is the top of the line model, has lasted me 4 years and I can purchase the generic toothbrush heads at Target or Costco 6 to a package for like $20. It also has an indicator when you are brushing to hard, which is very important. When you brush with an electric toothbrush you do NOT want to scrub like you would with a manual toothbrush. That's a quick way to have your gums run screaming from the top of your tooth (also known as recession.) You want to let the brush head do the work and move the brush from tooth to tooth.

So that's my two cents on the matter. Good luck on whichever brush you choose.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:50 AM

26 posts, read 93,288 times
I would like to refer Oral B Toothbrush. However, you can see the below link for reference.

The 10 Best electric toothbrushes - House & Garden - IndyBest - The Independent

Old 01-28-2015, 05:57 PM

5,280 posts, read 4,206,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm getting ticked off at Sonicare - expensive to start with, first they eliminated the 30 second beeps - I've gone through a couple because I wanted the timer - they don't last too long, hold the charge for a shorter and shorter period of time. Don't know about OralB.

IMO - for what Sonicare charges for brushheads and the initial system, it should certainly last longer than it does!
I'm not shilling for Sonicare, though I must admit I enthusiastically like their products. OK, I've not tried OralB, though. I'm on my second SC in ten years, so that's five years each. The second one is showing vague signs of dying, doesn't hold a charge quite as long, so I assume it will croak in 2015. I didn't expect much better than that, for about ninety bucks? You're right, the heads are spendy too, for sure.

But jeez, they've reduced the time in the hygienists chair or at least the amount of work s(he) has to do, and that's worth a LOT to me. I credit my excellent dental health in moderate part to that thing, since it "forces" me to be diligent in my two minutes twice per day (brushing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health