U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 8,572 times

Advertisements

I just have a simple question and could not find an answer to my question online anywhere. I had a tooth extracted today. It was a simple extraction that literally took 10 minutes and 7 of it was me sitting waiting for the tooth to numb after the shots. However, afterwards I was billed for surgical extraction, not just a simple tooth extraction. The bill was not bad and I honestly don't mind paying it, but I'm not sure what i had done was a "surgical" extraction. He injected me, got a pair of "pliers" rocked the tooth back and forth and it came out, not breaking or cutting. Then he gave me gauze and sent me on my way. No sutures are anything. I called the dentist and asked and they said that it can be surgical based on the tools. If this is true, great, but I just wanted to ask and see if anyone with dental knowledge had any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:22 PM

343 posts, read 356,198 times
In what condition was your tooth? Was it broken or decayed below the gum line?

Old 01-28-2015, 09:07 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
What part of ripping a piece of your body out of the bone doesn't sound surgical to you?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 AM

The tooth was decayed, like I said it had a root canal previously and the crown came off, but the tooth was not below the gum line. It was extruding from the gumline and was a problem for food getting stuck between it and other teeth. From what i have read for them to bill surgical they have to be certain requirements. I am waiting to see my EOB and look up the dental code and will have a better understanding then.

Toofache if you have nothing to contribute then please don't post. If i have a toenail removed, is that qualified as a surgery to you? If you don't get put under, cut on, or sutured its not surgical to me, if you can explain how it is and the billing codes that would be beneficial. If not please refrain.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:44 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
Any time someone has to do something that involves raw tissue, it's a surgical procedure. This includes snipping off a hangtag, digging out a bad tooth, removing (rather than just trimming) a fingernail.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:24 AM

4,390 posts, read 3,781,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Any time someone has to do something that involves raw tissue, it's a surgical procedure. This includes snipping off a hangtag, digging out a bad tooth, removing (rather than just trimming) a fingernail.
^^ This. The term "Surgical" is frequently used for procedures that the layperson would not consider "surgery".

Also, you have to remember that practitioners are reimbursed based on a certain procedure code. Reimbursement does not factor in complications, how "easy" the procedure was in terms of time, effort etc. For every person such as yourself that it only took 10 minutes on, that Dentist gets paid the same amount as he/she would for someone who may have had complications and come back to the office 2-3 additional times (for which they are getting paid nothing).

Old 01-30-2015, 10:12 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,141,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffeyga View Post

Toofache if you have nothing to contribute then please don't post. If i have a toenail removed, is that qualified as a surgery to you? If you don't get put under, cut on, or sutured its not surgical to me, if you can explain how it is and the billing codes that would be beneficial. If not please refrain.
Asking people to not comment on a public forum is futile. You opened this door for people to give their opinions.

Having a toenail removed - my daughter has had the nails on her big toes removed 3 times (twice on one foot) due to a medical condition - IS a surgical procedure. The Dr. has to numb the area with injections and then use tools and take precautions that involved playing in someone else's bodily fluids. Definitely qualifies as a surgery, as does a tooth extraction. You can bet your dentist knows what the requirements are to qualify and charge you for a surgery and they are sure to use the correct tool that crosses the fine line between routine tooth care and more advanced procedures.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:34 PM

I apologize, I guess I was not specific enough in my original question. I have done the research and you all make valid tpoints, but you have yet to answer specifically if the procedure was surgical. Clearly there are two different types of extractions, 1) Simple and 2) Surgical. According to the Dental insurance codes a simple extraction is coded as a D7140 and is defined as an extraction, erupted tooth or exposed root (elevation and/or forcep removal) It includes the ROUTINE removal of a tooth structure, minor smoothing of socket bone and closure. Surgical extraction is coded as D7210 which is the surgical removal of an erupted tooth requiring removal of bone and sectioning of tooth, including elevation of mucoperiostel flap. Clearly two different things and classifications. I feel like i had the first done, not a "surgical" extraction done. At this point I think the best option is to wait to see how the claim was filed and the code that was used to bill me and go from there. I was looking more for information on the difference between the two and how I could be billed for one, if I feel like the other one was performed.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:58 PM

343 posts, read 356,198 times
I speculate, but the dentist must have been used a Cryer elevator (picks) to "pick" a tooth first and then pliers to extract. It becomes surgical this way. Are you sure he used only "pliers"?

Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 PM

That is very possible, I know he didn't poke or probe in their much, but he could have definitely used an elevator. The tool he used had a big handle, but all he did was basically rock it back and forth to pull it out. However, if a specific tool makes it surgical then it is very possible. Again, I've had 2 wisdom teeth removed in similar fashion, and this was by far a breeze (different scenario by all means bc wisdom teeth have more roots) but it was a painless procedure. Thank you for input aquamarin. I will update it and let you know the coding if you care. Not a huge deal, cost wise just know enough to know your better off double checking things yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or