U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 11:05 AM

33 posts, read 128,696 times

Advertisements

I just recently had my first dental visit ever. I am a 37-year old healthy male, and never had a reason to visit a dentist.

I had to see a dentist because what I thought felt like food struck in my upper-right molar area is in fact a cavity (premolar #5). After experiencing pain in that area, I decided to see the dentist, who after taking X-rays confirmed the cavity (image below; second from the right). Although I was glad to learn my dental health was excellent shape for someone who had not had a dental visit before, it was shocking to hear that I had a cavity.

I was advised to have root canal + crown. The alternative is extraction followed by implant and crown.I was told that both options would cost more or less the same although no numbers were discussed.

I should that although the pain has subsided quite a bit (don't know how), I still feel the pain when I touch the deep-end (gum) of tooth #5. I don't know if this means infection.

Given that I don't have a dental insurance and will be spending out of my pocket, and I need all the help I can get in making an informed decision on what I should do. I am not someone who has an emotional attachment with my tooth, and wouldn't mind having it extracted.

My questions are

(A) Based on the X-ray images, does it look like I can get away with just filling the cavity?

(B) Given that it is premolar (#5), I don't think it would look good to have just extraction and leave the gap without any implant or denture. Can I have the tooth extracted now, and have an implant placed in June, when I will be visiting India for 5 weeks. If yes, would I need bone grafting after extraction? I understand I need to wait 4-6 months for the implant to integrate before crown placement. My question is would it be possible to spend less money for implant in India (in June) and later this year have a crown placed in USA?

(C) Are there other things I am missing or should consider?

Many thanks in advance for all your response.

Attached Thumbnails
Please help me with my situation-x04800_2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 02:36 PM

15,555 posts, read 22,915,265 times
If you don't trust the doctor get a second opinion.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:46 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
1. It's definitely a suspect shadow, but what it is, I don't know.
2. It's only cheaper to get it done in India if you have no complications at all, and need no followup from whoever does it in India. You're also going to have a hard time finding a *trustworthy* doctor in the USA who is willing to finish a job started by someone else in another country. In addition, if you do need a bone graft, it could be a few months before it heals well enough that you can get the implant. So even if you go to the dentist in India, if he says Here's the bone graft, come back in 6 months - what will you do then? If you don't need a bone graft and the India guy can do the implant right away, it'll still be a process. They put a healing cap on it, then they have to remove the healing cap a few months later and make sure it did what it was supposed to do. If it did, then they can fit you for a permanent crown. If it didn't, they have to do a little more work and add another healing cap.

You can't know in advance that your procedure will be without complication, and go flawlessly. For that reason alone I would not recommend getting some of it done in one country and some of it done in another.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:01 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,141,286 times
I would get a second opinion. Sounds like your current dentist didn't even discuss just filling the tooth.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:29 PM

595 posts, read 2,400,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I would get a second opinion. Sounds like your current dentist didn't even discuss just filling the tooth.
He didn't discuss it because most likely the cavity is too close to the nerve which is why he recommended the root canal and crown or extraction.

I'm not a dentist BTW, just a hygienist, so I'm not diagnosing, But I'll attempt to answer your questions based on what I see.

A) nope

B) Can't answer that. Way too many variables.

C) not that I can see.

I agree with Anonchick in that unless you are able to get back to India for follow up care, it's not a good idea to have an implant placed in another country.

Just my two cents.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:37 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounge View Post

My questions are

(A) Based on the X-ray images, does it look like I can get away with just filling the cavity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
He didn't offer to fix it with braces either. If a doctor doesn't offer you a certain treatment, then that treatment is not an available option.

A filling is only removing some of the infection, not all of it. The infected nerve/pulp is still there. So the filling has to extend all the way to the end of the root. This is called a root canal. To have only a filling is like asking your oncologist to only remove some of your cancer.

Lastly, did the dentist discuss the other 3 cavities on this xray? What about the rest of your teeth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or