U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 10:29 AM

381 posts, read 534,195 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing a periodontist for 6 months. I recently found out that the doctor was cited by the state dental board for not testing the practice's autoclave for spores at least once a week per state law.

According to the report, the autoclave was being tested only once or twice per month.

Should a patient be concerned?

Also, why does this seem to be an issue at so many dental practices? Is it a cost burden? Can any medical professionals enlighten me?

There is a popular dentist in northeast Ohio that was not even using an autoclave. He was using an oven (!) heated to 375 for 30 minutes to sterilize instruments. This is specifically banned in the state's dental code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 05:31 PM

595 posts, read 2,400,965 times
It's an issue because a lot of dentists are cheap. Should you be concerned? Probably not. Quite frankly, at least he was checking it at all. Could have been worse. The Oral Surgeon in Oklahoma comes to mind.

If you have concerns about him, look for a different Doctor and then ask whether they test it weekly or not.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:13 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
This is apparently what the insurance companies want you to have. If a $1200 crown is done for only $700, then certain corners have to be cut. Which corners do you want your dentist to cut? How do they save $500 from the costs?

Old 01-31-2015, 11:14 PM

255 posts, read 337,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
This is apparently what the insurance companies want you to have. If a $1200 crown is done for only $700, then certain corners have to be cut. Which corners do you want your dentist to cut? How do they save $500 from the costs?

Uh, I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlady View Post
Uh, I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread.
I understand what he's saying: That dentists sometimes cut corners.

When you look at the state dental board sanctions, the majority are for infectious control issues/not following the state dental code with regard to testing etc.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 AM

7,542 posts, read 8,791,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post

If a dentist can't, or is unwilling to do a professional job for the fee agreed upon, he has no business agreeing to the fee in the first place.

That's what licensing and professional standards are all about.

If I need an appendix taken out, the doctor should not be doing it on his dining room table using a cocktail fork, no matter where he needs to "cut corners".

Old 02-01-2015, 11:47 AM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
Pretty sure toofache32 posted that in the wrong thread. It doesn't address the OP at all but it -does- address another thread.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:29 PM

I'm not too concerned because the Consent Agreement between the state dental board and the periodontist states that the perio will have to submit to two random inspections during the year.

I guess it's just a little concerning when you put your trust in a healthcare professional and then come to find out that maybe they aren't doing everything "by the book", so to speak.

Has anybody actually asked a dentist about their autoclave testing? I would think it might be awkward to bring up.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:46 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
My dentist's office puts fresh plastic baggies around the overhead light between each patient, after sanitizing it first. Their autoclaves (they have a couple of them) are always in use. So I never feel like I need to ask. It's obvious to me that they put safety first for their patients and themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or