U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-04-2015, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,405 posts, read 9,722,945 times
Reputation: 12301

Advertisements

So my hip replacement needs to be done and is scheduled for Feb 18. I also have a nagging upper molar pain in the gum where part of my crown broke off. Got all the pre op stuff done for the hip and my PCP decided to tell me how dangerous it is to have tooth infection travel to a hip insert. He said it would be weeks of IVs and one may actually need the hip taken out if it gets infected.

So now I am scared. I went to my regular dentist but he is too busy to get me in before the surgery. I have another dentist to see tomorrow (that I don't know) to try to get another opinion. Has anyone else had a dental problem and surgery with an implant?

Should I cancel the surgery and try to get the tooth fixed? I really am in pain with the hip and was actually looking forward to getting the new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2015, 07:38 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So my hip replacement needs to be done and is scheduled for Feb 18. I also have a nagging upper molar pain in the gum where part of my crown broke off. Got all the pre op stuff done for the hip and my PCP decided to tell me how dangerous it is to have tooth infection travel to a hip insert. He said it would be weeks of IVs and one may actually need the hip taken out if it gets infected.

So now I am scared. I went to my regular dentist but he is too busy to get me in before the surgery. I have another dentist to see tomorrow (that I don't know) to try to get another opinion. Has anyone else had a dental problem and surgery with an implant?

Should I cancel the surgery and try to get the tooth fixed? I really am in pain with the hip and was actually looking forward to getting the new one.
Why not just get the tooth pulled and get a Z-pack for the infection (assuming the new dentist says it's a good idea of course)? You'll be good for surgery within a week, and the 18th is several days after that so you have a good window of time to recover from the antibiotics.

You can get a dental implant later in the year, once your hip doctor gives you a clean bill of post-surgical health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top