U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:02 PM
 
750 posts, read 683,296 times
Reputation: 1107

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Actually mouthwash is more effective at cleaning the entire mouth than just brushing. Just saying... so yes, because you are a follower of something you dont even understand the actual purpose of, and not because you merely brush twice a day, I do think the compulsiveness is mindlessly following something simply because it's status quo.
Brushing, flossing, and mouthwash should all be utilized. Seriously, calling people sheep for trying to keep their teeth clean is very strange. Perhaps you should find a more worthy cause to educate people about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:06 PM
 
8,781 posts, read 7,699,792 times
Reputation: 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Actually mouthwash is more effective at cleaning the entire mouth than just brushing. Just saying... so yes, because you are a follower of something you dont even understand the actual purpose of, and not because you merely brush twice a day, I do think the compulsiveness is mindlessly following something simply because it's status quo.
Mouth wash can only kill what it touches. It is meant to be used in conjunction with brushing.

For general mouth health it's not recommended you only spot clean with mouth wash.
The tonuge is a huge sponge. Taking a bacterial wash to the surface layer does nothing but temporary inhibit the growth of bacteria on the surface layer that it can touch, in similar fashion washing over tartar build up is ineffective in "cleaning" the actual tooth.

You should be brushing both your tongue and your teeth before using a bacterial wash if your intention is actual "cleaning" and not just a spot treatment.

It's like using perfume to mask body odor. It's not a solution, it is a temporary fix to an existing problem.

You should never do just on or the other.


On topic: she has probably been called out on her habits before if she is putting something like this in her profile.

Last edited by rego00123; 02-22-2015 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
2,386 posts, read 3,141,058 times
Reputation: 2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Maybe it just makes some of us feel fresh and prepared to face the day? Not sure why you care so much that people enjoy having clean teeth and fresh breath. Yeah, we are totally mindless sheep for that.
I have clean teeth and fresh breath, too, so what. Its because I clean the food from the bones at night and use mouthwash night and day. Only after having a foul lunch or vomiting would I brush in the morning. That's whack.

Nobody brushes after eating all the time except people with severe obsessive compulsive disorder who probably have fluorosis and a bruised gumline from overbrushing. Or someone who just eats onions all day.

I wouldnt exclude someone for not brushing twice in a 8 hour period when they havent eaten anything. But youre nitpicky about that so I just wouldnt bother with that. What else strikes your nerve? People who only do laundry once a week? My goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
2,386 posts, read 3,141,058 times
Reputation: 2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Mouth wash can only kill what it touches. It is meant to be used in conjunction with brushing.

For general mouth health it's not recommended you only spot clean with mouth wash.
The tonuge is a huge sponge. Taking the surface layer generally does nothing but temporary inhibit the growth of bacteria, in similar fashion washing over tartar build build up is ineffective in "cleaning"

It's like using perfume to mask body odor. It's not a solution, it is a temporary fix to an existing problem.

You should never do just on or the other.
Absolutely not. The brushing removes particles on the teeth caused by food and beverages. Over an 8 hour period of not consuming right after brushing, there isnt much in your teeth to brush, just bacteria in the mouth, which brushing cannot reach because bacteria grows more than just in teeth but the whole mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:13 PM
 
750 posts, read 683,296 times
Reputation: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Absolutely not. The brushing removes particles on the teeth caused by food and beverages. Over an 8 hour period of not consuming right after brushing, there isnt much in your teeth to brush, just bscteria in the mouth, whoch brushing cannot reach because bacteria grows more than just in teeth but the whole mouth.
Just keep doing what you do. Don't know why you are bashing others for what they like to do though when it is just as, if not more hygienic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:14 PM
 
491 posts, read 392,437 times
Reputation: 362
You absolutely need to floss at least once a day. It's so annoying, but not doing it is worse. I'm amazed at how many people don't floss. It causes so many dental problems, cavities, and can even contribute to heart disease. Scary stuff.

This is gross, but...if you saw the stuff that comes out of your teeth when you floss, you'll wonder how you ever just let that stuff sit between your teeth. So gross.

JobSeeker, I hope you floss. If not, that's probably why you ended up with root canals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:17 PM
 
8,781 posts, read 7,699,792 times
Reputation: 9489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Absolutely not. The brushing removes particles on the teeth caused by food and beverages. Over an 8 hour period of not consuming right after brushing, there isnt much in your teeth to brush, just bacteria in the mouth, which brushing cannot reach because bacteria grows more than just in teeth but the whole mouth.
The gum line is what you should most be concerned with. Build up occurs between the gum and the tooth.
Bacterial wash can't stop the spread of build up alone.

It is why you are ushered to also brush your gums as well and not just the tooth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:18 PM
 
750 posts, read 683,296 times
Reputation: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
You absolutely need to floss at least once a day. It's so annoying, but not doing it is worse. I'm amazed at how many people don't floss. It causes so many dental problems, cavities, and can even contribute to heart disease. Scary stuff.

This is gross, but...if you saw the stuff that comes out of your teeth when you floss, you'll wonder how you ever just let that stuff sit between your teeth. So gross.

JobSeeker, I hope you floss. If not, that's probably why you ended up with root canals.
Well teeth problems is definitely genetic in my immediate family. Though I should floss more often too. My dental insurance is about to kick in so I'll finally be able to afford to get things taken care of before they become extremely painful and expensive procedures again. I've never needed braces at least...

I got pretty out of control with diet soda consumption in recent months and all of that acid took a toll on my gumline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
2,386 posts, read 3,141,058 times
Reputation: 2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Brushing, flossing, and mouthwash should all be utilized. Seriously, calling people sheep for trying to keep their teeth clean is very strange. Perhaps you should find a more worthy cause to educate people about.
And judging me as dirty and nonhygeinic for having a clean mouth too but not brushing twice a day is mean and a shallow way to determine a persons character just because you want to follow a set standard you have no clue why you follow and impose it on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2015, 11:21 PM
 
750 posts, read 683,296 times
Reputation: 1107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
And judging me as dirty and nonhygeinic for having a clean mouth too but not brushing twice a day is mean and a shallow way to determine a persons character just because you want to follow a set standard you have no clue why you follow and impose it on others.
Re-read my posts. It'll become clear that YOU are the one judging people and labeling them as mindless followers for brushing their teeth twice a day. As I said, quite strange behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top