Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

I have often wondered why so many people brush their teeth in the morning, then have breakfast and then leave for school or work, isn't that a rather stupid order?

I don't know if people really do that on a regular basis, but I often wonder about that when on TV a family has breakfast and then, straight from the table, the kids rush off to school, where they will probably not brush their teeth half the day I know some people's teeth are more resistant than others', but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

Another thing is citrus fruits. I use lemon juice to etch rust from metal objects such as keys, so I suppose citrus fruit juice is really not good for teeth. Other people use cola for etching rust away, same problem...

Any other good and bad habits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Brushing your teeth when you get out of bed is habit, because you have "sleep breath" when you get up in the morning. And that makes breakfast taste less than delicious

However, you do have a point:

if you brush your teeth -before- going to bed at night, then the wake-up visit to the sink could just consist of a brisk rinse with a bit of germ-killing mouthwash (such as Listerine or similar). And then, AFTER breakfast, you do a first brushing of the day.

As for citrus: you're right, citrus -is- acidic (that's why it's called citric acid). And yes, it you allow it to remain on the teeth or eat LOTS of it every day, it will definitely start some thinning of the enamel after some time.

What you can do to prevent that though, is simply drink water after eating an orange, or give your mouth a quick rinse with baking soda and water after the meal to neutralize the acid. And of course, don't walk around with a lemon slice stuck to your teeth

Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Baking soda is said to be dangerous, too, as it forms a strong base, if I remember correctly People used to use baking soda years ago for bleaching...

Old 02-05-2012, 01:11 PM

You're only using a little (half a teaspoon to 4 ounces of room-temp tap water), and you're swishing it in your mouth and spitting it back out again. If your mouth is acidic from eating citrus fruit, then the baking soda will simply neutralize it.

You can brush your teeth with baking soda and peroxide, and peroxide IS bleach (it doesn't just bleach things. It *is* a bleach). As long as you're spitting it out and rinsing after, and not swallowing, it can't hurt you.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Brushing your teeth when you get out of bed is habit, because you have "sleep breath" when you get up in the morning. And that makes breakfast taste less than delicious

However, you do have a point:

if you brush your teeth -before- going to bed at night, then the wake-up visit to the sink could just consist of a brisk rinse with a bit of germ-killing mouthwash (such as Listerine or similar). And then, AFTER breakfast, you do a first brushing of the day.

As for citrus: you're right, citrus -is- acidic (that's why it's called citric acid). And yes, it you allow it to remain on the teeth or eat LOTS of it every day, it will definitely start some thinning of the enamel after some time.

What you can do to prevent that though, is simply drink water after eating an orange, or give your mouth a quick rinse with baking soda and water after the meal to neutralize the acid. And of course, don't walk around with a lemon slice stuck to your teeth
This is exactly what I do, drinking your morning coffee after brushing your teeth is simply madness...

Old 02-06-2012, 09:01 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i got charged 450 dollars to learn this from a dentist "guaranteed" no more gum disease and deterioration of teeth and gums
scrap tongue and cheeks
floss
brush with soni care brush
rinse with strong mouthwash min 30 seconds
2x a day
and yes clean up after the meal not b4

Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 AM

I read that mouthwash is not good as the alcohol in it dries the mouth, whereas saliva is what you want in the mouth

Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
My dentist does not recommend brushing with baking soda. She says it is too abrasive and destroys enamel.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:40 PM

The millions and millions of people who brushed with baking soda and peroxide before commercial toothpaste was invented, and possessed all their teeth into death, would probably disagree with you. Except, well, they're dead.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The millions and millions of people who brushed with baking soda and peroxide before commercial toothpaste was invented, and possessed all their teeth into death, would probably disagree with you. Except, well, they're dead.
im from chicago many dentists have told me that people from that area have damaged enamel from the water and baking soda is a bad move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health