U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:33 AM

108 posts, read 120,383 times

Advertisements

I hadn't heard about that baking soda can help whiten our teeth. I generally used a good tooth paste which is highly recommended by my dentist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 06:36 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,250,367 times
Heard of people using baking soda to whiten their teeth, but never tried it. Just today I received my order of activated charcoal which is used for removing impurities from the gut, among other things. One of the other uses is that adding a little to your toothpaste when brushing helps whiten your teeth. I've brushed twice today with it and already see a difference. I'll use it for a few weeks and see how much of a difference it makes.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:50 PM

9,978 posts, read 16,724,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Heard of people using baking soda to whiten their teeth, but never tried it. Just today I received my order of activated charcoal which is used for removing impurities from the gut, among other things. One of the other uses is that adding a little to your toothpaste when brushing helps whiten your teeth. I've brushed twice today with it and already see a difference. I'll use it for a few weeks and see how much of a difference it makes.

Be careful, I've read that sometimes whitening the teeth is done by actually removing the enamel!

I have heard about using baking soda for dental whitening. That was mostly recommended back in the day when we didn't have more professional options, etc. I get my teeth cleaned 3x/year (paid for by insurance), then use Crest Whitening Strips immediately after the cleaning. My teeth are nicely white, not that fake, almost bluish-white you see so much nowadays.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:56 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,250,367 times
Thanks for the advice Maryleell. My teeth are definitely getting whiter. Starting at the age of 9, yes 9 which was very young, I wore braces that were cemented onto my teeth for four out of five years, which caused them to permanently stain. I'll definitely look at more info online regarding using activated charcoal as a teeth whitener. Didn't see anything negative before about using it for that purpose, although I know using it to cleanse the gut can have bad consequences for some people.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:32 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,431,209 times
I absolutely use baking soda - once or twice a week. Dentist said it was a great way to remove stains and I have used it for many years!

Old 07-12-2015, 03:44 PM

9,978 posts, read 16,724,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I absolutely use baking soda - once or twice a week. Dentist said it was a great way to remove stains and I have used it for many years!

Well, perhaps once a week wouldn't hurt, especially if the dentist said it would be ok. I just know I've read in many places that using baking soda consistently can lead to enamal loss.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:05 PM

1,327 posts, read 765,705 times
My understanding is that baking soda doesn't so much whiten teeth as it does remove stains and staining. In other words it won't make your teeth whiter than they are naturally (unlike commercial whiteners) but it will remove all the staining from your teeth; thus they appear whiter but really it's just the true natural color of the teeth. When I drank black tea regularly I had a ton of staining on my teeth, and my dentist recommended baking soda. Then later I got bonding on some teeth and again my dentist recommended baking soda and told me it would not hurt the bonding (and it hasn't so far in 15 years).

Old 07-16-2015, 06:58 PM

550 posts, read 545,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
Has anyone tried brushing their teeth with baking soda ?If yes, what were the results ? Also, did you use baking soda only or you added baking soda to the toothpaste ?
My favorite toothpaste by far is peroxide + baking soda blend. Turns my teeth pearly white and my entire mouth a healthy-looking, vivid pink.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:17 AM

5,758 posts, read 4,490,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
My favorite toothpaste by far is peroxide + baking soda blend. Turns my teeth pearly white and my entire mouth a healthy-looking, vivid pink.
Mikey, how often do you brush with Peroxide and Baking Soda?

Old 07-21-2015, 04:09 AM

83 posts, read 80,038 times
Baking soda fairly effective in stain prevention, but not so much in increasing tooth whiteness. In higher concentrations of baking soda, it can be effectual at specific types of stains and improving tooth yellowness. You can also use Toothpaste for teeth whitening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health