Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times

Advertisements

Last weekend, I found myself in a stressful situation. I had a horrible toothache causing my entire left jaw to ache and throb. I even started to wonder if I would need to see an emergency dentist. Thankfully, the pain went away and has been gone since then for the most part. I fear going to the dentist, not because of the treatment, but because of the bill. I currently have no insurance and was kicking myself last weekend for not getting on the ball and getting some coverage.

But when I started looking at policies online again, now I remember why I never really jumped on this. First, my employer dental coverage is crap. About $240 a year to just cover cleanings and emergency extractions. Root canals and crowns, you're on your own. IT would actually cost me less to pay out of my pocket. Most of the policies I found online only covered services at 30% - 50% at best. Plus a 6 month waiting period. If this toothache comes back, I'm screwed either way. Dentists have no mercy. Pay in full or use Care Credit which has horrific reviews.

I came across a website that offered dental savings plans. You pay a yearly fee, get a discount card, and then get some nice discounts off services. Best part is I would get covered immediately. But it appears to good to be true. The site listed several dentists in my area, but when I called them, oddly, I would get a cold nope we don't use that. They actually acted kinda snippy like how dare I even ask if they would accept such a thing.

Here is the website:

Dental Plans | Dental Insurance Alternatives | 40+ Plans

Has anyone used this successfully?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,573 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Even the listed providers will drop when they get fed up dealing with the people that typically sign up for these, who take the discount but then don't pay the rest of the bill when it comes. Better to spend more for a real dental package such as Delta. They paid for about half of my implants last year saving me more than $3,000. My premium through my employer is $5/month, and most dentists accept it. Their best plan is only $54/month if you do it on your own.
I wouldn't expect much for the $240/year you are paying now.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:44 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,202 times
How much does your Grocery Insurance pay for your food? How much does your Shelter Insurance pay towards your rent? How much does your Dental Insurance pay for your oral health?

Why do you need others to pay for things that you KNOW are going to have to be dealt with at some point? My questions proposed above are absurd.....hmmmm, or are they?
This is the entitlement attitude that is breaking our country. Where is the uproar over unaffordable housing? Where is the uproar over unaffordable food at grocery stores? Food and housing are much more critical than dental health. Fortunately, people don't need teeth. Everyone WANTS teeth, but nobody NEEDS teeth. There are 400lb people walking around without any teeth.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
How much does your Grocery Insurance pay for your food? How much does your Shelter Insurance pay towards your rent? How much does your Dental Insurance pay for your oral health?

Why do you need others to pay for things that you KNOW are going to have to be dealt with at some point? My questions proposed above are absurd.....hmmmm, or are they?
This is the entitlement attitude that is breaking our country. Where is the uproar over unaffordable housing? Where is the uproar over unaffordable food at grocery stores? Food and housing are much more critical than dental health. Fortunately, people don't need teeth. Everyone WANTS teeth, but nobody NEEDS teeth. There are 400lb people walking around without any teeth.
I don't see it that way. It's the year 2014, and with all our modern technology, no one should have to suffer in physical pain because they can't afford treatment. I don't think being pain free is a luxury. It annoys me that health insurance doesn't cover dental treatment. Who decided that the mouth was not part of the human body and therefore a toothache is not a medical condition? Especially when I read that if you ignore it, an infection could possible get into the bone and kill you.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I don't see it that way. It's the year 2014, and with all our modern technology, no one should have to suffer in physical pain because they can't afford treatment. I don't think being pain free is a luxury. It annoys me that health insurance doesn't cover dental treatment. Who decided that the mouth was not part of the human body and therefore a toothache is not a medical condition? Especially when I read that if you ignore it, an infection could possible get into the bone and kill you.
Technology has nothing to do with affordability. Actually, fancier technology is MORE expensive. Who is paying for it? Obviously not you. Health insurance does not cover dental treatment because it's an easy way for them to save money. Wait....did you think the insurance companies have YOUR best interests in mind? They are here to make money, the same reason everyone else goes to work every day. They do this by collecting premiums then avoiding payment for healthcare. It's pretty simple actually. An infection from a tooth that becomes life threatening....yes it happens but it is rare. It is cheaper for the insurance company to just pay the hospital bills for the <0.1% of those cases that happen than it is to pay to fix all the teeth that can potentially cause a life threatening infection. The insurance company is not the patient's friend, despite what they tell you.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:11 AM

26 posts, read 42,555 times
Jeffbase40 - I personally have a dental plan through Ameriplan and love it. My plan has vision, prescription and chiropractic savings as well. I've already saved hundreds of dollars on extractions and x-rays for myself. Saved over a thousand dollars with dental services for our kids. Got to love no co-pays, no deductibles, no waiting periods and no annual caps on services.

I will take a discount on dental services any day because it is usually so expensive.

Moderator cut: no soliciting, please

Last edited by Marka; 11-11-2014 at 03:37 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 10:46 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Perhaps get a list of what dental insurance your dentist does accept & research those plans.

If there's a dental school in your city than check if they're accepting patients. Dental schools usually charge either nothing or a very low fee. All the work should be supervised by the dental school professors.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:54 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I agree and dental or any type or any type of health is important and a right not a luxury. I don't understand why people think health is a luxury? People need teeth. That is like saying that people don't need shelter because there are homeless people. Good luck by the way.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
I agree and dental or any type or any type of health is important and a right not a luxury. I don't understand why people think health is a luxury? People need teeth. That is like saying that people don't need shelter because there are homeless people. Good luck by the way.
Teeth are not needed as evidenced by all the obese people without teeth. Think about it. Nobody ever died because they didn't have teeth. I'm talking about NEED not WANT. Shelter for homeless is not an accurate comparison.....homeless people can die when exposed to the element.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:17 PM

I received an anonymous reputation comment that said, "You sound like a horrible, horrible dentist. If that is your attitude to people who are broke and in pain then you are in the wrong profession. Shameful."

I don't get it. I'm a dentist so it's in my best interest for everyone to have teeth so I can stay busier. I'm not sure what "attitude" is being referred to here. I'm just explaining why teeth are not considered by health insurance to be an essential component of life. Food and shelter is more important. And this is one case where the insurance companies are correct unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health