Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 PM

797 posts, read 1,748,782 times

Advertisements

I need extensive dental work (combination of bad genetics, autoimmune disease are the causes. I have been great at preventative care and maintaining what I have but it doesn't do much and I am still in need of work). A friend suggested going to Mexico to have dental work.

Apparently it is significantly cheaper there to have dental procedures. Why?

For those that have opted to have dental work done in Mexico, what was your experience like? What did you have done? How much did it cost?

what worries me is that I've always heard it isn't safe to drink the water in Mexico, yet it is seemingly safe to have dental work there? Forgive me if that seems ignorant, but I am genuinely interested in learning more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:06 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
My wife and I and many friends have gone to Mexico for dental work with complete satisfaction and much less expensive than it would have cost in Arizona.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:07 PM

797 posts, read 1,748,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
My wife and I and many friends have gone to Mexico for dental work with complete satisfaction and much less expensive than it would have cost in Arizona.

How did you find a dentist you liked? Word of mouth?

Old 05-02-2015, 05:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
If you live near Mexico, it can be less expensive to drive there, get the procedures done, and drive back. If you live in New England (I'm guessing, OP, based on your user ID), then it might or might not be worth the trip. Here's why:

From New England:
You take a Friday and a Monday off from work (which you might or might not get paid for depending on your job).
You buy an airline ticket, involving a weekend stay (always more expensive).
You pay for hotel for 3 nights.
You pay for transportation to and from the dental office (a car which someone ELSE has to drive back to the hotel since you're doped up after the procedure - so a taxi, or double all the expenses to bring a friend on your trip).
You pay for the procedure - which is 100% successful and uneventful
You can't eat for the next couple of days because hey - you just had 3 implants and 2 wisdom teeth removed. So don't expect this to be a Mexican vacation. You're sitting in your room being miserable.

That's if everything goes well.

If something goes wrong - you go home - discover something's wrong - and start all over again with a second trip, at your own expense, with more days off from work, to get the dentist to fix whatever went wrong.

Again - if you're near Mexico anyway it's almost a no-brainer. Go to the dentist in Mexico. But that's because Mexico is relatively "local." In New England, the comparative might be living in New Haven CT and going to Tufts Medical in Boston for the procedure. It's less than 3 hours drive, plus you don't have to deal with the mandatory immigration stops at the border. More expensive procedure, yes. Less overall expense, plus you get to recover in the comfort of your own home with no fear of what happens if you lose your passport.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:20 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you live near Mexico, it can be less expensive to drive there, get the procedures done, and drive back. If you live in New England (I'm guessing, OP, based on your user ID), then it might or might not be worth the trip. Here's why:

From New England:
You take a Friday and a Monday off from work (which you might or might not get paid for depending on your job).
You pay for transportation to and from the dental office (a car which someone ELSE has to drive back to the hotel since you're doped up after the procedure - so a taxi, or double all the expenses to bring a friend on your trip).
You can't eat for the next couple of days because hey - you just had 3 implants and 2 wisdom teeth removed. So don't expect this to be a Mexican vacation. You're sitting in your room being miserable.

If something goes wrong - you go home - discover something's wrong - and start all over again with a second trip, at your own expense, with more days off from work, to get the dentist to fix whatever went wrong.

Again - if you're near Mexico anyway it's almost a no-brainer. Go to the dentist in Mexico. But that's because Mexico is relatively "local." In New England, the comparative might be living in New Haven CT and going to Tufts Medical in Boston for the procedure. It's less than 3 hours drive, plus you don't have to deal with the mandatory immigration stops at the border. More expensive procedure, yes. Less overall expense, plus you get to recover in the comfort of your own home with no fear of what happens if you lose your passport.
I would agree with this post ^^^. Anyway, not sure what you need done, OP, but it might pay to shop around locally. I did that a few years ago and had a LOT of work done right here near me and I am glad I did. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:34 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
I need extensive dental work (combination of bad genetics, autoimmune disease are the causes. I have been great at preventative care and maintaining what I have but it doesn't do much and I am still in need of work). A friend suggested going to Mexico to have dental work.

For those that have opted to have dental work done in Mexico, what was your experience like? What did you have done? How much did it cost?

what worries me is that I've always heard it isn't safe to drink the water in Mexico, yet it is seemingly safe to have dental work there? Forgive me if that seems ignorant, but I am genuinely interested in learning more!
It's much cheaper for many reasons. They pay their staff $3 per hour. They don't have OSHA and the myriad other government agencies whose requirements costs the office money to remain compliant. They are not subjected to government radiology inspections. They are not building long-term relationships with patients so the fees don't account for the possible re-do's at no charge to the patient. They are allowed to buy dirt-cheap products from overseas which do not meet requirements imposed on US dentists by the FDA. They don't have to hire extra full-time staff to do the patient's insurance paperwork for them. Tuition to dental school is as low as 1/4th of US dental schools. Office rent, real estate, and the overall cost of living is lower. Less insurance (malpractice, workers comp, unemployment). They use local labs which also have less overhead expenses.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:35 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
It would help to know what exactly you need done. Are talking crowns and bridges or bone grafts and implants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post

Old 05-02-2015, 09:36 PM

At the office I went to they didn't use water. They give me an antiseptic rinse

Old 05-02-2015, 09:39 PM

I could have driven from Michigan or North Dakota and camped along the way to get one crown and still saved money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

From New England:

Old 07-07-2015, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,463 times
Default Here's a useful guide to dental prices around the world

I was looking into prices for dental implants and I came across the guide below.

price guide

Dental tourism is becoming a very popular thing in the UK due to the very expensive treatment costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health