U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:49 AM

33 posts, read 73,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That is no longer true. A maxilliary molar with a post and crown will not be even remotely as functional as a dental implant in the same spot. Back when the usual options were root canal/crown, bridge, or flipper, your statement used to be true. Now that implant technology and surgery methods and procedures have become commonplace, the implant has replaced the post/crown as best option as long as the jawbone can support it.

Can you support this with any academic evidence? I don't think you can. Only in hopeless situations is it better to go for an implant instead for an endo treatment. The above case does not seem like a hopeless one. Implants do have limitations and even though they might not decay as you say, they can have perio disease just as a normal tooth can. IMO the suggestion for an implant in the above case would border malpractise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 01:06 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,127,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya367 View Post
Can you support this with any academic evidence? I don't think you can. Only in hopeless situations is it better to go for an implant instead for an endo treatment. The above case does not seem like a hopeless one. Implants do have limitations and even though they might not decay as you say, they can have perio disease just as a normal tooth can. IMO the suggestion for an implant in the above case would border malpractise.

yes her posts border on malpractice....

There is plenty that can go wrong with implants. Implants can fail, and getting them isn't always a straightforward procedure either (sinus lift anyone? read up on the possible complications from that procedure before throwing away your own perfectly good teeth). Acting like implants are a guaranteed alternative to less expensive, less invasive and quite durable procedures that preserve original teeth is just plain ignorance. You always want to preserve the original tooth when possible. I've had crowns last over 20 years (and still counting). I will only consider implants as a last resort, not first resort.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:14 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
Might want to look up the definition of malpractice. I'd have to actually be a doctor in order to commit malpractice. I'm not a doctor. Never claimed to be one. I don't need to back up my statements with academic evidence but if you really need it, ask my dentist, my endodontist, my periodontist, and my dental hygienist. And my husband's dentist and his periodontist (who are not mine). Six professionals in four different practices in three different towns, and all six professionals who trained, educated, "academic" professionals licensed in the field, have all said that the current medical opinion is to get an implant for a back molar, if the choice is to get a root canal and crown, or an implant. The reason is because once you grind down the tooth, it is no longer as stable as it was before it got to the point of needing to be altered in the first place. Anyone who's ever had a root canal post/crown on a molar flanked by two healthy intact teeth can attest to this fact, by trying to chew a hazelnut on that side of their mouth.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:32 PM

I happen to be a dentist myself... as for your arguments.. I rest my case..

Old 05-25-2015, 05:45 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
I'll trust six real live actual people up close and personal before I even consider putting any faith in some stranger on the internet who has only seven posts on a forum they've been a member of for over a month, who claims to be a dentist.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:45 AM

You should certainly do so.. I would also advice those you take advice from you to think twice before even consider putting faith in some stranger on the internet who says she heard something from six real actual people and who claims she doesn't need to back up her statements with academic evidence. I can.. Ask your 6 dentists to back up your opinion too with a few articles.. I'll refer you to some myself then to show you're wrong

Old 05-26-2015, 12:50 AM

35,107 posts, read 42,696,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I am. And I don't agree with the treatment plan as described here.

You should read TOS before offering any official medical advice whether you are actually qualified or not.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:11 AM

Dental Implants & Root Canal - Which is better?
".. A recent systematic review comparing the two of the most common treatment options – root canals and dental implants – found virtually equal success, or survival rates, between both treatments. However, despite this similarity, the authors conclude that the priority should always be to preserve the natural tooth before extracting and replacing with an implant. Root canal treatment saves more than 17 million teeth a year."

Endodontic therapy vs. implant maintenance: an evidence-based review - DentistryIQ
"..When deciding upon extraction and implant therapy vs. saving the dentition via endodontic therapy, we must consider each case on an individual basis. Treatment decisions should be patient-centered, evidence-based, long-lasting, and cost-effective. Various factors need to be considered, such as clinician’s expertise, strategic location of the tooth, bone quality, soft-tissue quality and quantity, the patient’s periodontal status, tooth restorability, and the patient’s medical history. When giving patients options for their restorations, an implant surgeon must address the possibility of endodontic therapy and general dentists/endodontists must discuss the ramifications of implant therapy. As dentists, we are trained to preserve the natural dentition for our patients, and it is our ethical responsibility to do so whenever possible."

Common articles found in the net from "real" dentists

Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 AM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You should read TOS before offering any official medical advice whether you are actually qualified or not.
Which is why I did not offer my advice for treatment. Especially since I have not been able to examine the patient.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:08 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,171,084 times
Have you seen an endodontist? I'd do that first. He or she can pinpoint exactly where the pain is coming from and it might save you from having two root canals if you only need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health