Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 05:06 AM

387 posts, read 589,106 times

Advertisements

so i had a cavity and went to the dentist. he drilled it down and left the room, stating that the assistant will fill it up. the assistant seemed to be too gentle in putting the filling in. it didnt feel as if she applied much pressure to get it in. now my tooth hurts a week later. im going to bo back for a check up, but is this common for an assistant to do the work of a dentist??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
It depends on what kind of assistant they are. If "Dental Assistant" is their actual title, then no, they're not supposed to do that. But there is a type of Dental Assistant with expanded duties, trained to perform restorations, after the dentist has done the drilling. I think that's called an "Expanded Services Dental Assistant" or something like that. Dental offices who have people with that title usually just refer to them as assistants, because it's simply more convenient to use a single word than four words.

I'm pretty sure a hygienist can do the restoration (filling) after the dentist has done the drilling. It's possible that for some reason your dental office referred to the hygienist as an assistant, but the two are different titles, with different functions, different training.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:55 AM

ok, but the dentist should have at least checked the work after the assistant was done. he didn't show back up and now i have to set up a follow up to find out why the pain is still there.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 AM

double post

Old 05-11-2015, 01:59 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,351 times
It was probably an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant and it depends upon which state you are located in whether it's "allowed." Not all states allow this. If you are in a state that allows it then yes, it's standard for many Dentists to drill and prep the tooth and then have their trained EFDA step in to do the restoration. The Dentist can then move on to another patient.

What kind of filling is it? You might be used to having an amalgam (silver) filling placed where there is more pressure due to the packing motion of placement. A composite (white) filling using a flowable material would not have that "packing" sensation and would probably feel more "gentle" to you. A composite filling also might be more sensitive for a longer period of time than an amalgam filling. Does it feel sharp or achey to you? Is there pain only upon biting or is it constant. These are the things you should be thinking of prior to going in for a follow up.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
It was probably an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant and it depends upon which state you are located in whether it's "allowed." Not all states allow this. If you are in a state that allows it then yes, it's standard for many Dentists to drill and prep the tooth and then have their trained EFDA step in to do the restoration. The Dentist can then move on to another patient.

What kind of filling is it? You might be used to having an amalgam (silver) filling placed where there is more pressure due to the packing motion of placement. A composite (white) filling using a flowable material would not have that "packing" sensation and would probably feel more "gentle" to you. A composite filling also might be more sensitive for a longer period of time than an amalgam filling. Does it feel sharp or achey to you? Is there pain only upon biting or is it constant. These are the things you should be thinking of prior to going in for a follow up.
thanks. its composite and maybe im not used to it. teeth are sensitive now to water. and achey when eating hard foods like cookies. maybe i have to give it a week

Old 05-11-2015, 10:58 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,077 times
Do you have an HMO?

Old 02-23-2016, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 20,027 times
I recently had a crown placement, not my 1st. I was surprised when the assistant drilled on my stump after removal of the temporary. She had great difficulty removing the temporary & used the drill. Then used the drill directly on the stump. I jerked so hard the drill bumped into neighboring teeth. She hurt me. I'm freaking out. It's a new dentist for me & I didn't realize assistants were doing all the work these days. I never want to go back, but my bite isn't right. I'm screwed

Old 02-23-2016, 06:17 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,507 times
Lol long story but the short answer is YES.

You get what you pay for btw.

So if you want excellent treatment pay good prices.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:46 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsue View Post
I recently had a crown placement, not my 1st. I was surprised when the assistant drilled on my stump after removal of the temporary. She had great difficulty removing the temporary & used the drill. Then used the drill directly on the stump. I jerked so hard the drill bumped into neighboring teeth. She hurt me. I'm freaking out. It's a new dentist for me & I didn't realize assistants were doing all the work these days. I never want to go back, but my bite isn't right. I'm screwed
Do you have an HMO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health