U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 3,926 times

Advertisements

I am 27 years old , about one year ago I was made aware by my then dentist that it would be in my best interest to have all four of my wisdom teeth extracted. They are not impacted and have come up but not completely, so this leaves a little flaps of skin that sometimes will bleed if I bite down too hard or even from brushing my wisdoms, since they are only like 75% erupted. Last week I had another dentist appointment and had two cavities filled and she also suggested that it would probably be better while I'm still "young" and under 30 and she gave me a referral to an oral surgeon which I am sitting in the waiting room at now. I am pretty scared. I definitely don't want to be awake for it. Can anyone describe the process and how your experience was? I am leaning more towards general anesthesia instead of local, I would hate being concscious and hearing the grinding and the pressure of them yanking my teeth out but I've heard that after general anesthesia sometimes you wake up very nauseous and vomiting, is it a common thing to be nauseous/vomit after waking up? Do they usually extract all four in one visit? Also I am worried about pain even though I heard they give hydrocodone after, the reason why I am worried is because I take opiates recreationally so should I let the doctor know this and therefore ask for oxycodone? Don't really want to be looked at as a drug seeker when I will be needing them for pain. This is going to be my first surgery I'm so nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 12:30 PM

Just left the office and the xray ended up showing four partially erupted wisdom teeth and then there is one that is impacted (or a tooth like mass), it is small and right next to my top left wisdom tooth. The dentist recommended general anesthesia and to be done in 2-4 weeks. Will attach the xrays when I get home

Old 05-11-2015, 01:10 PM

In this Xray of my mouth you can see the mass I am talking about in the upper right hand corner right next to the wisdom tooth. It's not even causing me pain, should I still have it done? So scared lol

Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 PM

Oh wow I just thought of this... that tooth is just barely barely popping out of my gums(top right in the photo). I notice on the xray that the right side of the xray has a bigger "mass"? Is that tissue or is that my jawbone?? The worst news I could here would be that my jaw needs to be drilled in to. lol oh wow. Sorry guys I'm just so nervous its my first time ever getting any kind of surgery and of course drilling/cutting a tooth out of my jawbone would be my first surgery.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:04 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
This is why I review the xray with the patient but I don't give them a copy to take home and cause more worry. This is a panorex which is always full of shadows and artifacts in certain areas that are normal. If there are more questions, you should ask the surgeon who examined you.

You definitely need to let them know that you have a drug habit because this affects the type and dosages of the anesthesia medications. I don't like being surprised to find this out in the middle of the anesthesia and it increases risks to the patient. Your doctor is not the police or a preacher and you need to be up front.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
This is why I review the xray with the patient but I don't give them a copy to take home and cause more worry. This is a panorex which is always full of shadows and artifacts in certain areas that are normal. If there are more questions, you should ask the surgeon who examined you.

You definitely need to let them know that you have a drug habit because this affects the type and dosages of the anesthesia medications. I don't like being surprised to find this out in the middle of the anesthesia and it increases risks to the patient. Your doctor is not the police or a preacher and you need to be up front.
I'm not scared of letting him know of my drug habit due to getting in any kind of trouble lol, I worry that he would think of me as another druggy and not prescribe me anything that is strong when I am actually worried about the pain

Old 05-12-2015, 07:15 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
At the risk of sounding like I'm condoning it (which I'm not) - there's a difference between taking drugs recreationally and having a drug habit. Sort of like - someone who has a drink when they go out to their monthly poker game, does not have a drinking habit. Someone who drinks once a night, whether they have a poker game or not, has a drinking habit.

If you're totally straight with the dentist - and with yourself - and you understand the difference and can honestly place yourself in the "recreational use only" category, he will -probably- be okay with prescribing you 12 vicoden for pain. You can't get more, and you can't get refills, and that's enough for 3-4 days max, which is really all you should need. After that, you take Tylenol.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:22 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
At the risk of sounding like I'm condoning it (which I'm not) - there's a difference between taking drugs recreationally and having a drug habit. Sort of like - someone who has a drink when they go out to their monthly poker game, does not have a drinking habit. Someone who drinks once a night, whether they have a poker game or not, has a drinking habit.

If you're totally straight with the dentist - and with yourself - and you understand the difference and can honestly place yourself in the "recreational use only" category, he will -probably- be okay with prescribing you 12 vicoden for pain. You can't get more, and you can't get refills, and that's enough for 3-4 days max, which is really all you should need. After that, you take Tylenol.

.....like everyone else. Personal decisions have life consequences. Use this as an opportunity to help yourself.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
I get vicoden whenever I have anything more "invasive" than a cleaning and x-rays. I get the rx for 12 (it's always 12, heh), take 6 or 8 because I actually need them, and save the rest for when I get bad cramps or back pain (I have a bad back but don't take anything for it, other than this, ever). It might take three months before I use up the last 4-6 vicoden, and I might not have any need for a new prescription for another year or two after that.

My doctor knows that I sincerely need them for the first couple of days, and generally would not need them for my teeth after that. But the prescription is for 12, always. I think that's just the "recommended" amount according to some mysterious dental schedule or something. 1 every 4 hours, 3 days worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health