U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 03:05 AM

10 posts, read 41,236 times

Advertisements

Hey guys

I'm getting root canal done on a back molar bottom tooth tomorrow. I am a bit worried because I have an interview the day after tomorrow and I expect the root canal treatment to take more than 1 appointment. My questions are:

1) If the root canal does take more than 1 appointment, will I be in pain after the first appointment? I guess they'd put the temporary filling in tomorrow.

2) I want to put a permanent crown on the tooth in the end. Is it OK to have done the final root canal treatment and wait a couple of weeks before putting the permanent crown (because I need to go abroad in 2 week's time)? I'm in the UK, and the NHS website says there are things called temporary crowns - does anyone know anything about them? I've not come across any forum discussions about those.

3) Is there any chance the treatment can be finished tomorrow, in one sitting? I think it can happen for front teeth, but back teeth maybe not. I have been on antibiotics for the last week, maybe that helps.

4) I had a filling done last week which has misaligned my top set of teeth with the bottom set. The filling is on a back molar tooth on the bottom on the opposite side to the one I need root canaled. Can they fix this tomorrow as well??

Thanks, please feel free any of those questions if you're able.

Last edited by aca502; 05-12-2015 at 03:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 07:25 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,139,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca502 View Post
Hey guys

I'm getting root canal done on a back molar bottom tooth tomorrow. I am a bit worried because I have an interview the day after tomorrow and I expect the root canal treatment to take more than 1 appointment. My questions are:

1) If the root canal does take more than 1 appointment, will I be in pain after the first appointment? I guess they'd put the temporary filling in tomorrow.

2) I want to put a permanent crown on the tooth in the end. Is it OK to have done the final root canal treatment and wait a couple of weeks before putting the permanent crown (because I need to go abroad in 2 week's time)? I'm in the UK, and the NHS website says there are things called temporary crowns - does anyone know anything about them? I've not come across any forum discussions about those.

3) Is there any chance the treatment can be finished tomorrow, in one sitting? I think it can happen for front teeth, but back teeth maybe not. I have been on antibiotics for the last week, maybe that helps.

4) I had a filling done last week which has misaligned my top set of teeth with the bottom set. The filling is on a back molar tooth on the bottom on the opposite side to the one I need root canaled. Can they fix this tomorrow as well??

Thanks, please feel free any of those questions if you're able.
1. The root canal procedure itself only takes around 30-45 minutes tops, from beginning to end. It's one appointment. You might need a second appointment at a later date for a permanent filling and crown, yes. But the temporary crown and temporary filling, if you get one, can very easily stay there for a few weeks, because it often takes that long for the permanent crown to be made in an outside lab and shipped to the dentist's office.

2. See #1.
3. Yes, the treatment itself only takes one visit.
4. Fillings don't misalign teeth. A filling fills a hole that the dentist drills, so that the hole isn't a hole anymore. If the filling is sticking out, it should be sanded down so that it's flush with the tooth. Usually you'd have whoever did the filling do it. Different dentist might need to bill you for it, the original dentist would consider it part of the work he did and not bill you extra to adjust his own work. Can't hurt to ask, just make sure you know whether or not you'll be billed for it if they agree to do it, before you agree to let them do it

Old 05-13-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. The root canal procedure itself only takes around 30-45 minutes tops, from beginning to end. It's one appointment. You might need a second appointment at a later date for a permanent filling and crown, yes. But the temporary crown and temporary filling, if you get one, can very easily stay there for a few weeks, because it often takes that long for the permanent crown to be made in an outside lab and shipped to the dentist's office.

2. See #1.
3. Yes, the treatment itself only takes one visit.
4. Fillings don't misalign teeth. A filling fills a hole that the dentist drills, so that the hole isn't a hole anymore. If the filling is sticking out, it should be sanded down so that it's flush with the tooth. Usually you'd have whoever did the filling do it. Different dentist might need to bill you for it, the original dentist would consider it part of the work he did and not bill you extra to adjust his own work. Can't hurt to ask, just make sure you know whether or not you'll be billed for it if they agree to do it, before you agree to let them do it
thanks for the reply. unfortunately they weren't able to complete it today because when it came to pulling up something (a nerve? a root?) it hurt and so they stopped and filled up the tooth (which they had drilled) with something white. They did say they got rid of the decay though. They said it shouldn't hurt and that the antibiotics shouldn't be necessary once they run out (tomorrow). The next appointment is next week. Do you know what the filling might be? It's white and feels a bit like... sand. Also I really hope it doesn't get painful again.. if the decay has been removed I guess it should be okay.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:44 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,139,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca502 View Post
thanks for the reply. unfortunately they weren't able to complete it today because when it came to pulling up something (a nerve? a root?) it hurt and so they stopped and filled up the tooth (which they had drilled) with something white. They did say they got rid of the decay though. They said it shouldn't hurt and that the antibiotics shouldn't be necessary once they run out (tomorrow). The next appointment is next week. Do you know what the filling might be? It's white and feels a bit like... sand. Also I really hope it doesn't get painful again.. if the decay has been removed I guess it should be okay.
It might be some kind of medicated packing they put in there. Just follow their instructions; if they say don't brush that tooth, don't brush it. If they say ice for 2 hours, then do that. If they say don't chew on that side of your mouth, don't. And if they tell you rinse with warm salt-water every few hours, definitely do that. It'll help with the pain, especially if you have soreness from where they put the lidocaine shots.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:15 PM

33 posts, read 72,981 times
Usually molars have at least 3 root canals and it's very time consuming for the dentist to clean and shape all of them in order to be filled. Most of the times it will take more than one appointment to complete the RC therapy. Even if the dentist is an edontologist using rotary endo files, it might be shorter in time but still quite some time and you'll be very tired keeping your mouth open.
Yes, you leave the dentist with a temporary filling and you might need a crown or an onlay at a later time and you'll be absolutely fine with the temporary for a couple of weeks. The temporary crowns do exist and they are used when a tooth is already prepared for a crown and until the permanent crown is ready from the lab to be cemented.
A mild discomfort and/or even pain is possible after your first appointment, nothing that cannot be taken care of with common pain killers (your dentist has probably already informed you about what to expect).
I would hope no dentist would charge you for grinding the filling that is higher (and it only takes a few minutes) but if you contact the person who did it on the first place, they should do it for free.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2015, 11:15 AM

6,424 posts, read 4,170,068 times
The filling that you have in place is likely Cavit. This is a temporary filling material that starts out soft but then gets hard after some time. You shouldn't need it adjusted at all, as your opposing tooth should wear it down to where it should be. It should hold up until your next appointment. If you have the taste of cloves in your mouth, you have a medicated filling (that is clove oil-based) that will help any remaining nerve tissue settle down.

Your tooth might be sore due to the files going in, and your jaw might be sore from you holding it open, but you should not have real pain. If you do, call the dentist back so he or she can reopen the tooth. (If you have a zinc oxide filling and it's a little high, that can cause some pain too; that's an easy fix that takes about two minutes!)

Good luck! I worked in an endodontic office for years and most patients do just fine with the treatment. Having two appointments for a root canal is not unusual at all, so don't worry about that. If you've already taken antibiotics to get any infection under control, you will likely have little discomfort.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:13 PM

Thanks guys, the root canal is now done and I'm just waiting for a crown to be measured and fitted. No pain. Only issue is that my teeth don't meet properly again so hopefully going to get that sorted soon.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:44 PM

33 posts, read 72,981 times
How many appointments did it take, just for the history?

Old 06-05-2015, 11:41 PM

83 posts, read 80,023 times
The main aim of the treatment is to clean out the tooth to get rid of all the infected and/or inflamed tissue and then your dentist put a dressing in there until your next appointment. Once the tooth has a stable, at your next appointment, the inside of the tooth is systematically cleaned out and disinfected before it is then permanently filled and sealed.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya367 View Post
How many appointments did it take, just for the history?
Just two appointments. They could have done it in the first one I think, if they had given me enoough anaesthetic. When they tried to pull out the nerve it hurt so they stopped and filled it up. No pain. Then the second appointment the week after they did it completely (with two shots of anaesthetic). So I guess this is similar to what BillyCraig has written.

I took a painkiller on that night but nothing else since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or