Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 03:39 PM

218 posts, read 393,805 times

Advertisements

So I went 3 years without a cleaning. I was in a bad place for a while. Eating a lot of candy. Feeling down. (I did continue to exercise though). Only brushed once a day in the morning. Flossed every other day. So finally I decided to stop being scared of the dentist. I noticed spots of my gums bleeding a bit so I made an appointment thinking I had gum disease. They said my teeth looked "pretty darn good" it was just time for a cleaning. I only had one small cavity and I really thought I'd have more. I'm just really surprised and relived they were ok. Is that normal after neglect? I'm going to get to the dr also to check things. If I was diabetic would my teeth have been in worse shape? I know someone who is and has problems. I've been eating better and feeling better recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 04:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
If everything was exactly as you described it, then no, it's not normal to have a "pretty darn good" diagnosis following years of neglect and bleeding gums. Did you get x-rays? Do you drink a lot of water? What did they say about the bleeding gums? And was it "pretty darned good" compared to - what, exactly?

Old 05-02-2015, 04:29 PM

218 posts, read 393,805 times
There are just some blood in spots when I flossed and some tender areas. Since the cleaning it's cleared up. She is he said it was the fact I hadn't gotten them cleaned that causes a bit of tenderness. She did x-rays and checked for pockets in my gums but there weren't any. Pretty good that I didn't have gum disease and only 1 small cavity.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:23 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
You are very lucky. Next time it could be worse.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:55 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
A true story of 2 people. These people are my sons.

Son A: brushes twice a day, flosses once a day, uses a mouth rinse daily, visits dentist regularly, eats well.
Son B: brushes a few times a week, flosses a few times a month, visits dentist about every 18 months.

Son A usually is diagnosed with a new cavity or "watch spot" every dental visit and currently has about 8 filled cavities.
Son B has never had a cavity.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:02 AM

108 posts, read 146,538 times
Good one Peachsalsa!!!! darn good , Be wary next time . It seems like that only or it could be bad. Good luck with your cavities. Take advise from a dental expert (Kieferorthopädie München) before it could got worse.
Move every day. Like taking a shower and brushing your teeth. Make it a part of your everyday life.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:31 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
How can anyone go a day without brushing their teeth , its beyond me.... Ive brushed mine since a child but never brushed them properly and lost some back teeth... then in my teens I carried a toothbrush to work as I was so obsessed , but read not to brush them too much so now morning and before bed... and rinse only with water never mouthwashes...

Old 05-04-2015, 08:48 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
How can anyone go a day without brushing their teeth , its beyond me.... Ive brushed mine since a child but never brushed them properly and lost some back teeth... then in my teens I carried a toothbrush to work as I was so obsessed , but read not to brush them too much so now morning and before bed... and rinse only with water never mouthwashes...
You would be amazed at how many people don't brush their teeth or are using the wrong end of the tooth brush. Always makes me wonder if they wipe their butts after pooping.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:02 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
A true story of 2 people. These people are my sons.

Son A: brushes twice a day, flosses once a day, uses a mouth rinse daily, visits dentist regularly, eats well.
Son B: brushes a few times a week, flosses a few times a month, visits dentist about every 18 months.

Son A usually is diagnosed with a new cavity or "watch spot" every dental visit and currently has about 8 filled cavities.
Son B has never had a cavity.
Same as me and the ex-husband. I clean my teeth like crazy, floss, electric toothbrush, had 8 extractions due to overcrowding with braces as a teen, and have fillings on most of my teeth. But my teeth are quite large and my mouth is small, so the gaps between them are miniscule. The ex didn't even brush his teeth hardly ever, once or twice a week, and I'm being completely serious. (Yeah EEEWWW!) Needless to say, he didn't floss, mouthwash, or any of that. I bugged him to go to the dentist. He hadn't been in three years. The dentist told him his teeth were in great condition. He didn't even need any fillings. A lot of dental problems are due to genetics.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:04 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
Host resistance to the oral bacteria. I once went 5 years between cleanings when my dentist retired in AK. I did good home care and was no worse for it. I was diabetic at the time but my diet and health was good otherwise. I have had bad luck with dentists as they retire or die (once) within a few years of finding them. With no dental insurance, I'm never in a big hurry to go to the dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health